Growl Retirement

Chris Forsythe

Nov 28, 2020, 4:39:04 PM11/28/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

We’re retiring Growl today. I wrote about it in a blog post I link on my Twitter.

Thank you to everyone who contributed on this list who helped each other over the years. It meant the world to me.

Chris

Deivy Petrescu

Nov 28, 2020, 5:07:51 PM11/28/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I will certainly miss it.
I think I have it if not for 17 but at least for 16 years.
So, it is an old friend.

Best, be safe and wear mask.

Deivy Petrescu
apple...@dicas.com

Chris Forsythe

Nov 28, 2020, 5:21:43 PM11/28/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
You’re welcome to continue to use Growl, but I imagine developers will be removing support in their next release when they find out about the retirement. Glad you enjoyed it for so long.

> On Nov 28, 2020, at 4:07 PM, Deivy Petrescu <apple...@dicas.com> wrote:
>
> I will certainly miss it.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/4863DF83-F006-4B5D-8808-EF928BF5D8F7%40dicas.com.

Deivy Petrescu

Nov 28, 2020, 5:23:56 PM11/28/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Actually something I forgot to say…. Thank you guys for all these years.
I still foresee using it for a while.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/growldiscuss/C2EE1332-437F-4E81-A610-6B5AF8EE1F52%40growl.info.

TJ Luoma

Nov 29, 2020, 12:14:37 AM11/29/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM Chris Forsythe <ch...@growl.info> wrote:
You’re welcome to continue to use Growl, but I imagine developers will be removing support in their next release when they find out about the retirement. Glad you enjoyed it for so long.

I largely use it with growlnotify via shell scripts, which I suspect will continue to work for some time… but only as long as Rosetta 2 is supported.

Thanks again to you and everyone who put in work on this project for almost as long as my son has been alive (who is off to college next year!)

~ Tj

Chris Forsythe

Nov 29, 2020, 12:42:17 AM11/29/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
The source is all on GitHub if someone decides to get it working on m1. :)

scrutinizer

Nov 29, 2020, 12:10:28 PM11/29/20
to Growl Discuss
I, too, enjoyed it. It was and still is an emergency buoy for me, especially on old installations of macOS Lion and Mavericks I still run along newer macOSes. You get used to it so much that it becomes like an old friend or nanny. I fear that other developers will drop support of their apps built around Growl's framework such as Prowl for iOS by Zachary West which I still use on Mavericks and Lion to send text and clipboard from the Mac to iPhone.

The news of retirement was brewing and expected though.

Godspeed, Chris and thank you for the long years of dedication!

Richard L. Hamilton

Nov 29, 2020, 4:43:06 PM11/29/20
to growl-discuss mailing list
It will be missed.

Or?

What of someone taking over at least basic maintenance, even if no new features (give or take what's needed to recompile universal under Big Sur, perhaps)?  (no, I'm not volunteering; I don't know Objective-C worth a hoot; and although I could learn that, I doubt I could cope with the human factors involved in maintaining a project :-) )

Or for use cases that are not served by macOS Notification Center, what are the alternatives?  E.g. I have HardwareGrowler running (and growlnotify command line tool if needed) on my Macs, and Prowl on my iPhones.  Is the source for related items like HardwareGrowler available? Will Prowl keep working? What else could replace such functionality?

Thanks and not a guilt trip are intended. :-)

But if there's interest, perhaps some few might wish to consider what comes next.

MGN Google

Nov 29, 2020, 7:44:40 PM11/29/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
I’ve built a whole system of monitoring remote machines (Macs and Raspberry Pies) using Growl, Prowl, growlnotify, growl.py (Linux) and lots of shell scripts. It will be a big task to find replacements and to rewrite everything.

It’s been a tremendous help to me over many years. I’m very sorry to see it go.

Then again, I can’t complain. I’m also retired.

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand

rwu...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2020, 1:59:17 PM11/30/20
to Growl Discuss
Prowl is my favourite notification talked to by lots of database systems I write when something goes wrong and notification is need immediately...
Progress is not always progress when the good stuff gets left behind.

Judie LC

Dec 9, 2020, 1:17:20 AM12/9/20
to growld...@googlegroups.com
Just saw this. Thanks for all your work on it over the years. I've enjoyed using it.

All the best, Chris.

Judie