--shell-escape Error

Michael C.

Feb 26, 2022, 10:09:09 PM2/26/22
to Gregorio Users
Praised be Jesus Christ!

Dear all,
I have recently put a fresh re-install of Linux on my computer. I re-intstalled Texlive and got it working, but Gregorio seems to be only partially working. It is able to construct PDF's successfully containing pre-compiled .gtex files, but it is not able to compile new .gtex files. The console says that it needs --shell-escape (see attached .log file), but I have already supplied that with the "Tool Configuration" tool. (See screenshot.) Could you please help me figure this out?

I can supply any other needed files as necessary.

In Domino,
Michael C.
tool.png
Saturday BVM Epistle Gospel.log

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Feb 28, 2022, 3:24:59 PM2/28/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
The log indicates that the binary cannot be found. How did you install TeX Live? Did you install everything, or just a subset? Can you run Gregorio directly from the command line?

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

Michael C.

Feb 28, 2022, 9:32:22 PM2/28/22
to Gregorio Users
I installed (and re-installed) from the .tar.gz here: https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
I simply installed by running the install-tl file.
I have not yet figured out how to run Gregorio directly from the command line.

Thank you, Father.

R. Padraic Springuel

Mar 1, 2022, 4:37:10 PM3/1/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a PATH issue. Open a terminal and try `gregorio --version` On the command line.

✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

Michael C.

Mar 1, 2022, 10:15:21 PM3/1/22
to Gregorio Users
Was I supposed to change directories to a specific gregorio directory? It didn't find the command.
error.png

R. Padraic Springuel

Mar 2, 2022, 9:15:13 AM3/2/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Then it’s almost certainly a PATH issues. The TeX Live installer does not, by default, place the installed binaries in the PATH. There is an option to create symlinks that will do so, but the inability to find Gregorio indicates you didn’t activate that option during your install.

To fix this you’ll need to make adjustments to your system so that Gregorio is available on path. This could be as simple as additional a single symlink for Gregorio to your /usr/local/bin or as complicated as altering you PATH so that all TeX Live binaries are available on the PATH.

Where did you install TeX Live?

✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

On Mar 1, 2022, at 10:15 PM, Michael C. <mcamill...@gmail.com> wrote:

Was I supposed to change directories to a specific gregorio directory? It didn't find the command.

Michael C.

Mar 2, 2022, 8:56:12 PM3/2/22
to Gregorio Users
I installed to /usr/local/texlive/ i.e. I did not change the location.

I redid INFOPATH, MANPATH, and PATH as TeXLive instructs (this time, the right way, I suppose), and now I am getting something when I type "gregorio --version". I think that was one problem, but maybe not the only one. I still am getting the same Gregorio error when I try to compile.
gregorio version.png

R. Padraic Springuel

Mar 3, 2022, 2:03:45 PM3/3/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Are you compiling your document from the command line or TeXworks?

✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

On Mar 2, 2022, at 8:56 PM, Michael C. <mcamill...@gmail.com> wrote:

I installed to /usr/local/texlive/ i.e. I did not change the location.

Michael C.

Mar 3, 2022, 4:57:31 PM3/3/22
to Gregorio Users
I am getting the same error for both. I have run the same document through both methods, and have gotten exactly the same error on both. I've attached the logs for them both. In the command line log, the relevant error is on lines 76-102. In the TeXworks log, the relevant error is on lines 562-587.
TeXworks.log
Command Line.log

Fr. Samuel Springuel

Mar 4, 2022, 3:49:11 PM3/4/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
The errors are actually different. On the command line, the Gregorio executable is found, but since it runs into problems opening files because of the spaces in the file name. This is something that TeX is notorious for, and a convention that we follow: spaces are *not* allowed in file names. Fix this and I’m willing to be that the command-line will work just fine.

From TeXworks, the Gregorio executable is still not being found, which means that the alterations you made to your PATH are only being applied when a new terminal session is started. If you’re starting TeXworks using the GUI, it doesn’t inherit those changes. Fortunately TeXworks has its own setting in Preferences that allows you to add to its internal PATH. Open the Typesetting tab of the Preferences pane and add the path for the TeX Live binaries to the upper list.

✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝✝
Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
Washington, DC, 20017
202-269-2300
(c) 202-853-7036

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ

> On Mar 3, 2022, at 4:57 PM, Michael C. <mcamill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am getting the same error for both. I have run the same document through both methods, and have gotten exactly the same error on both. I've attached the logs for them both. In the command line log, the relevant error is on lines 76-102. In the TeXworks log, the relevant error is on lines 562-587.
>
> On Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 2:03:45 PM UTC-5 Br. Samuel wrote:
> Are you compiling your document from the command line or TeXworks?
>

> ✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️✝️
> Fr. Samuel, OSB
> (R. Padraic Springuel)
> St. Anselm’s Abbey
> 4501 South Dakota Ave, NE
> Washington, DC, 20017
> 202-269-2300
> (c) 202-853-7036
>
> PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ
>
>> On Mar 2, 2022, at 8:56 PM, Michael C. <mcamill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I installed to /usr/local/texlive/ i.e. I did not change the location.
>>
>> I redid INFOPATH, MANPATH, and PATH as TeXLive instructs (this time, the right way, I suppose), and now I am getting something when I type "gregorio --version". I think that was one problem, but maybe not the only one. I still am getting the same Gregorio error when I try to compile.
>>

>> --
>> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io

> Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io
> <TeXworks.log><Command Line.log>

Michael C.

Mar 4, 2022, 6:37:06 PM3/4/22
to Gregorio Users
Right on both accounts! My GregorioTeX is working perfectly—both on Command Line and on TeXworks. Thank you, Father!

For those on Linux who might run into this problem in the future (maybe even myself in the future, in all honesty...), I added the paths by adding these three lines to /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.bashrc

export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2021/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export INFOPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/doc/info:$INFOPATH
export MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/doc/man:$MANPATH

You might have to make invisible files visible on your file manager in order to see the file. And you may have to change the file paths. Just change them to what the TeXlive installer says. If you have already closed your command line. You can find what it wants in the file "install-tl.log" in your TeXlive install folder, in the folder for the relevant install. There are guides online for that.