Feria Booklet

Canon Justin Ong

Dec 29, 2021, 11:55:51 AM12/29/21
to Gregorio Users
Vive Jésus! Blessed Octave of the Nativity to you all!

I am currently working on compiling all the antiphons, readings, hymns, etc into one small booklet that would fit in the Liber Usualis. I had made one already by copying and pasting screenshots from pdfs of old antiphonaries but there are many mistakes and I lost the file. I am hoping to make a good digital version which would allow for future corrections and hopefully make for a thinner booklet...

I am very new to Gregorio+Tex (with very little hope of mastering this at my age)  I used the "O antiphons" booklet from the Gregorio website as a template and the results have been rather disappointing so far. I pray that someone would be willing to help me to get the first three pages as close to my original booklet... I should be able to carry on from there as it will pretty much be the same process. The few things that I would like to know are the following:
  • I would like a custom paper size of 12x20cm -- this will fit perfectly in a Liber Usualis.
  • How does one format the text of the "Capitulum" to look like the original booklet? How do I put a space after the cross and the asterisk?
  • How does one get the lyrics of the hymn to look like the booklet (this will save a lot of space).
I appreciate anyone who could help me... this project would benefit many seminarians and priests.

In Christ the Divine Infant King,
Canon Ong

% !TEX TS-program = LuaLaTeX+se

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8

\documentclass[11pt]{article} % use larger type; default would be 10pt

\usepackage[autocompile]{gregoriotex}

\usepackage{fullpage}

\usepackage{libertine}

\usepackage[latin]{babel}

%%% This function is used at the end of a function which inserts text.  It checks to see if a space should be included at the end of the command, suppressing it if the command is immediately followed by a punctuation character but including it otherwise.

\makeatletter

\newcommand{\punctuationcheck}{%

\@ifnextchar){\relax}{%

\@ifnextchar]{\relax}{%

\@ifnextchar.{\relax}{%

\@ifnextchar,{\relax}{%

\@ifnextchar’{\relax}{\ }}}}}%

}

\makeatother

%%%  Code for ordinal numbers.  Note that this code redefines \th to make it produce the superscripted "th" for ordinal numbers and so defines a new command, \thorn, to allow access to the phonetic letter which is usually accessed by that command.

\newcommand{\st}{\textsuperscript{st}\punctuationcheck}

\newcommand{\nd}{\textsuperscript{nd}\punctuationcheck}

\newcommand{\rd}{\textsuperscript{rd}\punctuationcheck}

\let\thorn\th

\renewcommand{\th}{\textsuperscript{th}\punctuationcheck}

\def\move{\rule[-0.2em]{0.4pt}{1em}\,}

\gresethyphen{force}

\grechangedim{afterinitialshift}{2.2mm}{scalable}

\grechangedim{beforeinitialshift}{2.2mm}{scalable}

\grechangestyle{initial}{%

\fontsize{40}{40}\selectfont}%

\grechangestyle{annotation}{\scshape\bfseries\small}

\grechangestaffsize{15}

\begin{document}

\section*{In principio Horarum}

\section*{Tonus ferialis.}

\gregorioscore{Scores/or--deus_in_adiutorium_(tonus_ferialis)--solesmes}

\vspace{0.5cm}\gresetinitiallines{0}

\section*{Feria Secunda}

\section*{Capitulum.         2 Cor 1:3-4}

\section*{Benedíctus Deus, et Pater Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, \grecross Pater misericordiárum, et Deus totíus consolatiónis, \gresixstar  qui consolátur nos in omni tribulatióne nostra.}

\gregorioscore{Scores/hy--immense_caeli--solesmes_1961}

\gresetinitiallines{1}\vspace{0.5cm}

\end{document}

FD53E1E5-D46C-4CC7-87D0-58A71E83631C_1_201_a.jpegEDFE27F6-86D2-4BD9-A5BA-9069EADBB9D7_1_201_a.jpeg
feriarum.pdf

Matthias Bry

Jan 7, 2022, 6:20:09 AM1/7/22
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Bonjour Monsieur le chanoine,

As this is primarily a series of questions on TeX and not Gregorio, I suggest we continue this exchange off the mailing-list.
Most of what you seek to do is acheivable through some cursory Google searches.

As for your questions, some synthetic answers, on which we can follow up in private :

- custom paper format : look up package geometry
- custom chapter titles : first, \section{xyz} is for the section title, not for the whole section. To do what you mean to do, you would have to define the horizontal spaces that you want. I would suggest : fixed space before the word "Capitulum", fixed space after the scriptural reference, and whatever horizontal space is left between the two blocks of text. Or : fixed space before the word "Capitulum", and the scriptural reference is centered around some point that is a fixed horizontal distance from the edge of the page. Either way, you can do this via a bordeless table (package tabular) or manually with \hspace{2cm} for fixed distances and \hfill for filling "whatever is left". As a next step, you should make your own command for chapter titles that would automate this work.
- multiple columns (not running parallel, but containing a given text that spans all columns) : look up package multicol. If at some point you need parallel columns, e.g. for translations : look up package paracol.

In Christo,

Matthias Bry

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io