Sankt Gallen neumes : Help needed to test a custom typeface

Francis Ramel

Nov 11, 2021, 4:51:12 AM11/11/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I’m a type designer, and I’m working on my free time on the subject of Carolingian neumes.

I designed a text typeface inspired by the Carolingian minuscule from the St-Gall and Laon graduals.
It will be commercially available soon at www.pampatype.com

This project started as a research project at www.anrt-nancy.fr where I started to design my own version of the St-Gall neumes.

To accompany the release of the text typeface, I would like to offer a free version of the musical signs that I drew… At least the one from St-Gall.
I also did a Laon version, but it is unfinished yet.

The drawn signs I did are based on the gregall typeface: The signs are encoded under the same Unicode nomenclature.

On my side I always produced neumes+texts using Indesign. Gregorio is installed on my Mac, but I don’t really know how to use it.

I know my typeface should work in Gregorio, but I’m not capable of testing it, in order to see if it really does.

Can someone help me with this ?
It would be nice to generate a few PDF using the typefaces and the St-Gall signs, to see if everything is faithful.

You’ll see that the signs are rather different from the manuscripts sources: they are close in their design to the text typeface I drew.
The first goal of this project was to harmonise the text and the neumes to create aesthetically coherent documents, for instance musicology texts, where text and neumes are mixed together in the same text blocks.

You can learn more about the project here (it is in French, but it has English and Spanish subtitles available) : https://youtu.be/3ep1y1wdoa8 `

Please do use the .otf file attached only for testing purpose and without modifying it: I will produce later a final version, with better outlines and better encoding.
If you are interested, I’ll share in this group the news of its availability.

Thanks a lot for your help

Carolineale-SanktGallen.otf

Matthias Bry

Nov 11, 2021, 5:24:25 AM11/11/21
to gregori...@googlegroups.com
Hello Francis,

First, you should ensure that your system correctly generates NABC scores ; refer to GregorioRef.pdf and GregorioNabcRef.pdf or ask me in private (I'm French).
For a first "quick and dirty" approach, you could then just replace <tex-root-dir>/fonts/truetype/public/gregoriotex/gregall.ttf with your own font.
Once that works, we could delve into how to add arbitrary fonts as NABC fonts, Fr. Springer will know how to do this, most probably.

Yours,
Matthias Bry

--
Gregorio homepage: http://gregorio-project.github.io