Market power and MRF processing fees

Doug Koplow

Jun 29, 2022, 10:16:01 AM6/29/22
to GreenYes
Has anybody analyzed the relationship between increasing industry consolidation in waste and recycling (both horizontally and vertically) and spiraling MRF "processing fees"?

General analyses of oligopoly power in the waste sector would also be of interest.

Thanks,

Doug
_________________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
485 Massachusetts Ave. #3
Cambridge, MA 02139

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto, is for the designated recipient
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Neil Seldman

Jun 29, 2022, 10:45:30 AM6/29/22
to Doug Koplow, GreenYes
IHI Doug, I hope you are well and safe.

This report may be of help. See. section on waste. https://ilsr.org/fighting-monopoly-power/
In my efforts to answer the question of monopoly pricing at MRFs I found one estimate that MRF prices are 1/3 higher due to monopoly pricing. This came from an independent MRF operator who would not let me quote him.

More research is indeed needed.

Neil

Neil Seldman
Waste to Wealth Initiative