Zeroing out the plastic peanut butter jar.

Arthur Boone

Jun 15, 2021, 11:49:47 PM6/15/21
to greenyes
I go through 10-12 peanut butter jars made of plastic every year.

As much as I can use my index finger to scratch out all the PB resting in various crevices, I feel I am not practicing the ZW mantra based on what I see left in the jar as I consign it to the dish pan.

All advice and any new techniques will be appreciated.

ARBoone, Center for Recycling Research, Berkeley

Nancy Poh

Jun 16, 2021, 1:10:02 AM6/16/21
to Arthur Boone, greenyes
Instead of using your index finger, use a fork or spoon to push a piece of bread into the peanut butter jar. As peanut butter is oily, another idea will be to pur some warm water into the jar, swirl the water around its inside and then figure out what you can cook with it. For the lazy way out, go to yummly to make discoveries.

You can make cocktail from peanut butter when you have about 4 teaspoons left in the jar. This Russian recipe is a grown up version of a peanut butter milkshake. Instead of water, you use a mixture of vodka, Kahlua and low-fat milk to stir out every bit of peanut butter in the jar :)

This Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake just need 1 tablespoon of  peanut butter. You can use 1 cup skim milk required in the recipe to clean up the jar.

You can do a search for "peanut butter" on yummly to discover more recipes. My suggestion is that you keep the old jar and open up a new jar of peanut butter to create any recipes that requires some liquid ingredients. Use that to swirl around the jar to clean up any leftover residues. Other than Yummly, you can also google "add peanut butter". By doing that, I found this link:

33 Ways to Use Peanut Butter

Nancy Poh

Jun 16, 2021, 1:21:08 AM6/16/21
to Arthur Boone, greenyes
When I was younger, there was a peanut sweet that I enjoyed eating. It is coated with what I thought was starch that can be eaten even though it can be removed.

According to wiki the paper-like wrapping is made from sticky rice.

Is it possible to have such a coating on the inside of the jar so that the leftovers can be pulled by tugging it out to be eaten?

frobey

Jun 16, 2021, 9:00:25 AM6/16/21
to GreenYes
If you have a food processor you can easily make your own peanut butter, almond butter, walnut butter, etc. You can then put it right back into that jar or use a mason jar since it doesn't have all those nooks and crannies for PB to get caught. From an impact on the environment I think walnut butter has the least impact from a land use/water use/pesticide use basis.

I couldn't stand not recycling yogurt containers so was building up a good supply of empty containers until I found out really good yogurt can be made at home out of a "starter" from either a couple tablespoons of a good yogurt that has lots of live cultures or purchased from someone like Cultures for Health and then reused over and over (the one thing I like about the Cultures for Health starter is that it works on cold milk.) If you can buy local milk to make the yogurt with so much the better!! I culture the yogurt right in an old quart yogurt container...

Nancy Poh

Jun 17, 2021, 3:51:32 AM6/17/21
to frobey, arthur boone, GreenYes
I shared this question with Zero Waste Malaysia members on facebook and a member said that she uses "slim silicone spatula" to clean up leftovers  in her jars. I did a search and discovered that there are indeed mini jar scrappers selling in the market. I read that it is best to buy one with a long handle to avoid getting your hand stained by the content in the jar. Check out this review on such spatulas:

The regular sized spatula is also a great way to remove leftover content in the food processor.