error with helloworld test: new install

serwei lee

Jun 4, 2016, 6:56:32 AM6/4/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
Hi there, trying Grails for the first time:

| Grails Version: 3.1.8
| Groovy Version: 2.4.6
| JVM Version: 1.8.0_92

Tried the helloworld setup test and had errors.
Versioning change?

| Resolving Dependencies. Please wait...
| Error Error initializing classpath: startup failed:
build file 'C:\Users\User\build.gradle': 7: expecting "interface", found '<newline>' @ line 7, column 20.
   @buildRepositories@
                      ^

1 error
 (NOTE: Stack trace has been filtered. Use --verbose to see entire trace.)
org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
build file 'C:\Users\User\build.gradle': 7: expecting "interface", found '<newline>' @ line 7, column 20.
   @buildRepositories@
                      ^

1 error

serwei lee

Jun 4, 2016, 7:04:28 AM6/4/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
oh weird. after the failed build, calling "grails" itself gives the same error.

Christopher Larrivey

Jun 17, 2016, 10:24:54 AM6/17/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
Did you ever get anyone to answer this as I am having the same problem!

serwei

Jun 20, 2016, 7:21:21 AM6/20/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com

Lol nope.

Sir Geek

Jun 30, 2016, 2:39:51 PM6/30/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
And I'm getting the same error too.

Lol nope.

Sir Geek

Jun 30, 2016, 2:44:13 PM6/30/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
OK.

I deleted ALL the gradle files/folders that had been created as well as the empty grails-app folder and it created the sample helloworld app.

serwei

Jul 1, 2016, 1:59:26 AM7/1/16
to Grails Dev Discuss

In case anyone is supporting, I think we're all brand new adopters, and not upgrading, correct?

Lol nope.

Brad Booth

Jul 1, 2016, 2:11:07 AM7/1/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
This is group for people developing the actual framework and/or plugins for Grails.  I would ask your questions on Stack Overflow, that is where the vast majority of the support will be.

Jeff Brown

Jul 6, 2016, 3:54:23 PM7/6/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com, serwei lee

On June 4, 2016 at 5:56:49 AM, serwei lee (ser...@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi there, trying Grails for the first time:
>
> | Grails Version: 3.1.8
> | Groovy Version: 2.4.6
> | JVM Version: 1.8.0_92
>
> Tried the helloworld setup test and had errors.
> Versioning change?
>
> | Resolving Dependencies. Please wait...
> | Error Error initializing classpath: startup failed:
> build file 'C:\Users\User\build.gradle': 7: expecting "interface", found
> '' @ line 7, column 20.
> @buildRepositories@
> ^
>
> 1 error
> (NOTE: Stack trace has been filtered. Use --verbose to see entire trace.)
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup
> failed:
> build file 'C:\Users\User\build.gradle': 7: expecting "interface", found
> '' @ line 7, column 20.
> @buildRepositories@
> ^
>
> 1 error

I have seen this (or similar) when Grails is confused about whether or not the current directory contains a Grails project or not.  One thing that can cause similar problems with some versions of Grails is running create-app in a directory that contains a grails-app folder.

JSB
--
Jeff Scott Brown
OCI Grails Practice Lead