Searchable Plugin

George Smith

Jul 18, 2014, 3:55:44 PM7/18/14
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone else have concerns about using the Searchable Plugin which uses Lucene and Compass. I see that there are problems with it and Java 8, but I'm also concerned that it utilizes transitive compass jar dependencies that have no update activity for more than 5 years.

Erik Pragt

Jul 19, 2014, 6:27:59 AM7/19/14

On Friday, July 18, 2014 9:55:44 PM UTC+2, George Smith wrote:
Does anyone else have concerns about using the Searchable Plugin which uses Lucene and Compass. I see that there are problems with it and Java 8, but I'm also concerned that it utilizes transitive compass jar dependencies that have no update activity for more than 5 years.

I have no concerns at all about using the Searchable Plugin, as long as you don't use it. Compass hasn't been updated for 5 years. The plugin is not maintained, the documentation is spread over the Grails site, and there are issues when deploying an application using Searchable.

I would not recommend using this plugin at all, but use something like Elastic Search or MongoDB search instead. It seems the ElasticSearch plugin has recently been revived (http://grails.org/plugin/elasticsearch), so it might be worth checking that one out (or contributing to it ;-)