Grails 3 and default layout

Ronny Løvtangen

Feb 15, 2015, 7:02:27 AM2/15/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Grails’ default sitemesh layout (main.gsp) is based on HTML5 Boilerplate (https://html5boilerplate.com/) which just recently released v5.0.0.
One of the things they did in v5.0.0 was to drop IE6/IE7 hacks and get rid of the conditional comments, which had some serious issues, making more harm than good (https://github.com/h5bp/html5-boilerplate/issues/1187)
The same issues applies to Grails, and I have been bitten by this at my current customer, which had their domain on Microsofts compatibility view list.

Grails 3 would be a good opportunity to align with the new HTML5 Boilerplate.
Any objections to this? If not I will create a few jira issues and corresponding pull requests.

Best Regards
Ronny Løvtangen

Graeme Rocher

Feb 15, 2015, 8:12:34 AM2/15/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
+1 Pull request welcome

Graeme Rocher

Ronny Løvtangen

Feb 16, 2015, 4:08:04 PM2/16/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Great!

I just need a little guidance, as things have changed.
Previously, the skeleton where located under <grails-core>/grails-resources, e.g. the main layout was <grails-core>/grails-resources/src/grails/grails-app/views/layouts/main.gsp
After poking around a little, I found out that these are now moved to a separate repo on GitHub: https://github.com/grails/grails-profile-repository
And that this repo is synced to ~/.grails/repository
The repo URL and local path is mentioned in the class org.grails.cli.profile.git.GitProfileRepository.

I forked https://github.com/grails/grails-profile-repository. Any tips for how to best test my changes to this fork with my development build of grails-core master? Should I symlink ~/.grails/repository to my fork of grails-profile-repository? Or change paths in GitProfileRepository? Or is there a better way?

Also; should changes to https://github.com/grails/grails-profile-repository go in the regular Jira project, https://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS  or is there a separate Jira project?

Best Regards,
Ronny

Ronny Løvtangen

Feb 19, 2015, 12:24:25 PM2/19/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for merging the PR, Graeme.

I ended up symlinking ~/.grails/repository to my locally cloned grails-profile-repository during development. Worked fine, I could then run ‘grails create-app foo’ and verify that the generated app was as expected.

Ronny