Tagging "Low Hanging Fruit" Issues

Nathan Maynes

Feb 16, 2016, 4:15:18 PM2/16/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
I have seen a number of responses on the mailing list and in GitHub issues where individuals who are new to Grails would like to contribute but are finding it difficult to identify "low hanging fruit." Some of the other open source projects I follow use Up-for-grabs. Are there reasons that the Grails project should not offer entry level issues on a site like Up-for-grabs? Can we create a tag for issues that would be great for people familiarizing themselves with the Grails project to start on in Jira? This would allow seasoned developers to help point out issues that do not require significant knowledge of the codebase for newcomers and less experienced developers to work through.

Jeff Scott Brown

Feb 16, 2016, 7:48:43 PM2/16/16
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 3:15 PM, Nathan Maynes <nathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have seen a number of responses on the mailing list and in GitHub issues where individuals who are new to Grails would like to contribute but are finding it difficult to identify "low hanging fruit." Some of the other open source projects I follow use Up-for-grabs. Are there reasons that the Grails project should not offer entry level issues on a site like Up-for-grabs? Can we create a tag for issues that would be great for people familiarizing themselves with the Grails project to start on in Jira? This would allow seasoned developers to help point out issues that do not require significant knowledge of the codebase for newcomers and less experienced developers to work through.

I think it is a good idea. I have created a label “up-for-grabs” and submitted https://github.com/up-for-grabs/up-for-grabs.net/pull/361 to have Grails included on the site. We will work to find some items to mark with the label. Once we have flagged some items we will draw attention to that for the community and see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JSB

Jeff Scott Brown
Principal Software Engineer
Grails Development Team
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Nathan Maynes

Feb 17, 2016, 9:35:11 AM2/17/16
to Grails Dev Discuss
Thanks for the quick implementation!

Highlighting simpler projects and providing support to users new to Grails is something I would be more than happy to help with. Is there a Grails New User Advocate contact/team? If not, I am willing to be the contact for coordinating the effort.