Help with pitching Groovy and Grails

Raviteja Lokineni

Feb 21, 2017, 4:52:14 PM2/21/17
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@groovy.apache.org
Hi Devs,

I was trying to pitch using Grails for one of our projects and the discussions always ended up with "using reflections in JVM is slow period". I am not knowledgeable to defend the internals of either Groovy or Grails, need some help on this topic.

The only selling point that they identified was GORM.

I thought this might be the time to ask the developer community. I am trying to gather some points on using Grails over a Spring boot application.

Also, can anyone help me understand how Groovy runtime optimizations are applied on a high level and if it will affect the runtime performance.

Raviteja Lokineni | Business Intelligence Developer
TD Ameritrade

Raviteja Lokineni

Feb 22, 2017, 1:56:11 AM2/22/17
to d...@groovy.apache.org, us...@groovy.apache.org, grails-de...@googlegroups.com
+Groovy Users

I have seen Groovy grow since 1.6.x and Grails since 1.3.x and I have used it successfully in many projects but the problem arises when convincing organizations which are a little hesitant to use newer techs. It could also be my inability to explain the internals correctly to people. If someone has already done some research and can shed some light on the internals may be I could use that to help myself.

Thanks,
Raviteja

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Wilson MacGyver <wmac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please ask this on the regular groovy list. You will get more response. Both of the lists you post to are for development of groovy and grails itself

a little preview, groovy is not slow. Hasn't been for a long time. It has one of the fastest json parser for example. @compileStatic often let groovy reach performance at same speed as java.

We use groovy to process 1-2 TB of data every hour on aws.

Thanks

Jeff Brown

Feb 22, 2017, 9:38:57 AM2/22/17
On 22 Feb 2017, at 0:55, Raviteja Lokineni wrote:

> +Groovy Users
>
> I have seen Groovy grow since 1.6.x and Grails since 1.3.x and I have
> used
> it successfully in many projects but the problem arises when
> convincing
> organizations which are a little hesitant to use newer techs.

Right.

Groovy and Grails are obviously newer than some technologies but Grails
is more than a decade old and Groovy is older than that. The technology
is constantly innovating to stay relevant but we are way past anything
that anyone would consider an early adopter phase.

JSB
--
Jeff Scott Brown
OCI Grails Practice Lead

Autism Strikes 1 in 166
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Raviteja Lokineni

Feb 22, 2017, 10:41:26 AM2/22/17
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

When I say newer, I mean newer to the organization.

Thanks,
Raviteja

Graeme Rocher

Feb 23, 2017, 2:33:00 PM2/23/17
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com, d...@groovy.apache.org
The argument "using reflections in JVM is slow period" is stupid because so much of all JVM frameworks is reflection based.

Spring used reflection for proxies, AOP, data binding, pretty much everything.

Hibernate uses reflection to convert objects to and from the database.

The reflection part of the application is never going to be your bottleneck. It will be your database, or message queue or whatever.

Apart from that with modern Groovy (@CompileStatic etc.) you don't have to write everything dynamic anyway.

Cheers

Graeme Rocher