Grails 3.0 and Yaml why? Is something gained by it or is it a time constraint reason?

virtual dogbert

Mar 12, 2015, 11:33:24 PM3/12/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
So I've noticed that Grails 3.0 uses Yaml for configuration, and I have several questions around it:

Why Yaml, just because it seem to be Spring Boots default?

Is there any gain, or advantage of yaml over Groovy based configuration?

Is this decision more of a time based thing?

it seems with Pivotal's decision Grails 3.0 is a little rushed out the door, especially considering discussed time lines during springone 2gx. Is this something that maybe revisited?

I know that you can use Groovy in place of the yaml. Is there any down side?

Will there be a profile with Groovy configuration?

Thank you if  you have time to answer this. Over all Grails 3.0 looks like it's going to be another great leap forward, despite the fight I know I'm going to have upgrading to it.

Graeme Rocher

Mar 13, 2015, 3:27:01 AM3/13/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
It has nothing to do with being rushed. Quite simply we wanted a format that is machine readable AND writable to be the default. You cannot programmatically write to the Groovy format. However if you prefer the Groovy format you can still use it by creating a application.groovy file

Graeme Rocher

Henrique Lobo Weissmann

Mar 15, 2015, 11:47:54 PM3/15/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
What about the DataSources.groovy file? Will it be removed too?

Henrique Lobo Weissmann (Kico)
(55) 31 9226-0459
http://devkico.itexto.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/loboweissmann

virtual dogbert

Mar 16, 2015, 1:43:49 AM3/16/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
"The configuration of the application will need to be migrated, this can normally be done by simply renaming grails-app/conf/Config.groovy to grails-app/conf/application.groovy and merging the content of grails-app/conf/DataSource.groovy into grails-app/conf/application.groovy." from http://grails.github.io/grails-doc/3.0.x/guide/single.html#upgradingApps

Which puts potentially a lot of configuration in one file, that doesn't nesesarily go together.  So hopefully there is a way to split up config files like before:

Also I'm kind of curious, by what's meant, by "machine writable", as many plugins installs/quick start scripts, write to the config file. Although I'm sure the way they do it is not ideal. and Yaml must be easier to programmatically merge and update.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:33 AM, virtual dogbert <virtual...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I've noticed that Grails 3.0 uses Yaml for configuration, and I have several questions around it:

Why Yaml, just because it seem to be Spring Boots default?

Is there any gain, or advantage of yaml over Groovy based configuration?

Is this decision more of a time based thing?

it seems with Pivotal's decision Grails 3.0 is a little rushed out the door, especially considering discussed time lines during springone 2gx. Is this something that maybe revisited?

I know that you can use Groovy in place of the yaml. Is there any down side?

Will there be a profile with Groovy configuration?

Thank you if  you have time to answer this. Over all Grails 3.0 looks like it's going to be another great leap forward, despite the fight I know I'm going to have upgrading to it.

Vahid Hedayati

Mar 17, 2015, 5:12:04 AM3/17/15
to grails-de...@googlegroups.com
I think something similar discussed a few threads back:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/grails-dev-discuss/_5VtFz4SpDY