List of dual-band Android phones that record CarrierPhase data ?

gpsfan

Jan 24, 2021, 9:03:53 AM1/24/21
to GPSTest
I'm asking because I found that my Mi 10 Lite is shown here https://barbeau.medium.com/tl-dr-dual-frequency-gnss-on-android-table-of-devices-9be4bbb83a7b as supporting CarrierPhase data, presumably based on feedback sent via the App but the CarrierPhase fileds are in fact...empty and therefore the data cannot be post-processed.

I've seen here that the Xiaomi Mi 8 does indeed record CarrierPhase data but are there other ones out there ?

I've extracted this list from the Google Drive table that shows such support but is it really the case ?

ZenFone 7 / 7 Pro (ZS670KS/ZS671KS)

Pixel 4

Pixel 4 XL

Pixel 5

P40 (Dual SIM)

HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro

Honor V30 Pro

OnePlus Nord N10 5G
7 (China)

7T (China / HK)

OnePlus 8 Pro

8T (EU)

OnePlus 8T+ 5G

realme X2Pro
Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Galaxy S20+

Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G

X - Mi 10 lite 5G
: CarrierPhase data fields are empty
MI 10

MI 3W

MI 8
: CP data recorded
MI 9

Redmi K20 Pro

Edit : a list of single-band Android Phones supporting CP data would be interesting too of course ;-)

gpsfan

Jan 24, 2021, 10:07:12 AM1/24/21
to GPSTest
So just to clarify, it's not "CarrierPhaseXYZ" fields that matter as they have been deprecated starting with API version 28 but "AccumulatedDeltaRangeMeters" (as shown in the table linked above) where the Mi 10 Lite unfortunately shows values of : "0.0".

Lukoviczki András

Jan 24, 2021, 10:12:20 AM1/24/21
to gpsfan, GPSTest
the MI8 have an additional BCM47755 GPS chip, so it can record everything. The others , especially the newer phones have only the Qualcomm SoC and these are not so good for RAW data recording, they cant record NAV messages and probably cant record the CF neither (or it is only a firmware bug at You, i dont know)

a few Samsung flagships also have this BCM chip (as i know only the Exynos SoC EU version, the US or TWN versions have Qualcomm SoC without this BCM chip) .

gpsfan

Jan 24, 2021, 10:57:49 AM1/24/21
to GPSTest
Thanks for the info, in the meantime I found a presentation ( Positionnement GNSS précis sur smartphone - CNIG ) from http://cnig.gouv.fr/?page_id=12592 dated 16/10/2020 that says that there are only 2 dual-band phones that have both NAV and ADR, the Mi 8 and the Huawei Mate 20 X. Now of course there may be single-band phones that can output NAV and ADR messages...
Interestingly that presentation explains that with the current number of L5 satellites (it seems NAV/ADR data may not be available for G5 satellites ?) trying to calculate a ionotropo correction actually degrades the position (see page 9)
These experts have developed a GeolocPVT app but as far as I can tell it's only available as an .aab file https://gitlab.com/TeamGEOLOC/geolocpvt so needs to be converted to .apk...something I'll be trying to do
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

gpsfan

Jan 24, 2021, 4:20:20 PM1/24/21
to GPSTest
So after quite a bit of searching I managed to create a signed .apk and installed the app but...it doesn't work, it does see satellites, including L1/E1 and E5/G5 but it doesn't get a fix and and UI is a bit messed up too. It was designed for an Mi 8 so in case anyone with an  Mi 8 wants to try it it's here : https://gofile.io/d/nuOTuv

Back on topic, not a dual-band but the Redmi 9 logs ADR data, the Redmi 7 doesn't. Both have a C/N ratio that is way lower (around 31dB outdoors) compared to the Mi 10 Lite (around 40 dB outdoors) and as result the accuracy is way lower in GPSTest. I'll try to post-process 5 minute data in JASON but right now it can't download the correction data.

gpsfan

Jan 26, 2021, 9:00:30 AM1/26/21
to GPSTest
So after looking at the logs provided by Google as part of the 2021 Decimeter Challenge here https://github.com/barbeau/awesome-gnss/blob/master/README.md#data two phones can be added to the list of dual-band phones that output CarrierPhase data needed for post-processing (the AccumulatedDelta fields)
- Pixel 4
- Pixel 4 XL
So that's a total of (at least) four now with the Xiaomi Mi 8 and the Huawei Mate 20

The good news is that it's not a requirement to have a separate Broadcom chip for Android smartphones to output CP data as the Pixel 4s only have one chip AFAIK, the Snapdragon 855.

Sean Barbeau

Jan 28, 2021, 2:44:39 PM1/28/21
to GPSTest
FYI, there are a few issues with the v3.9.x beta for capturing carrier phase in the GPSTest Device Database - I've opened this issue to track:

Additional comments for devices that do and don't support getAccumulatedDeltaRangeUncertaintyMeters() are welcome - I've welcome testing help, as I don't have access to most of these devices.

Sean

Sean Barbeau

Feb 1, 2021, 8:39:01 PM2/1/21
to GPSTest
v3.9.7 has been pushed to Google Play, which hopefully should resolve issues with the support for carrier phase measurements being detected incorrectly on some devices in the crowd-sourced database. I'd love to see more reports from devices to see if this helps. I don't have access to these devices so testing is challenging.

Full release notes at:

gpsfan

Feb 2, 2021, 3:34:26 AM2/2/21
to GPSTest
Thanks for the new version. I installed it on my Mi 10 Lite and used the "Send Feedback" (via email) feature and ADR is now shown as "Not Supported" which is correct even though there is data being recorded but it's bogus, i.e. "0.0".

Other comments :
Dual frequency showed "NOT_SUPPORTED" initially as the L5/E5/B2 satellites were not in the list and then as "SUPPORTED" once they were
The "GNSS CFs" line shows : L1 and E1 - a bit misleading since CF is not correctly reported but it might be hard to remove that line if ADR is not supported ?

I got a hold of a used Mi 8 too and oddly enough the report ends with :
"First Fix : false (not sure what that means)
GNSS_antenna info : NOT_SUPPORTED"

The 5 messages shown in between on the Mi10 Lite, from DF to AGC are missing. I checked I had correctly updated the app.

Sean Barbeau

Feb 12, 2021, 5:33:03 PM2/12/21
to GPSTest
>Dual frequency showed "NOT_SUPPORTED" initially as the L5/E5/B2 satellites were not in the list and then as "SUPPORTED" once they were

Yeah, that's a current limitation of using the live GnssStatus API signals to determine dual-frequency support. I'm hoping that the GnssAntenna.Listener will eventually be a more reliable indicator of dual-frequency support that's not based on environmental or transient states.

>First Fix : false (not sure what that means)

This just means that a fix was acquired prior to collecting this data. I've changed the text to "Got fix:" in later versions. The app forces you to get a first fix before submitting data to the Database, but doesn't prior to sending a feedback email, hence the text indicator (waiting for a fix you're more likely to see L5 signals, etc.).

>GNSS_antenna info : NOT_SUPPORTED"

The GnssAntennaInfo API requires Android 11 (plus OEM support, so not all Android 11 devices may have it), and I believe the Mi 8 is still on Android 10.

Sean Barbeau

Feb 15, 2021, 12:56:13 PM2/15/21
to GPSTest
Alright, v3.9.9 is now rolling out to Google Play beta:

Thanks to Andras and looking at the other Google raw measurements contest logs, I'm cautiously optimistic that I've fixed accumulated delta range detection in this version by  treating the state variables as a bitmask instead of discrete state integers.

So, if you think your device supports carrier phase measurements, please check the capabilities again by uploading to the database! You can also look in the feedback email too after getting a GNSS fix.

Thanks,
Sean

gpsfan

Mar 10, 2021, 9:46:02 AM3/10/21
to GPSTest
ok so the 865 based OnePlus 8T is another DF phone that does not output any ADR data. I don't have it but asked someone I know to run GPS Test (the feedback form was almost empty oddly enough) and Geo++ Rinex that shows nothing in the cycle slips, so that means no ADR data.

So the only recent DF phones with ADR seems to be the Pixel 5 ? Disappointing...

Sean Barbeau

Mar 10, 2021, 12:09:45 PM3/10/21
to gpsfan, GPSTest
> I don't have it but asked someone I know to run GPS Test (the feedback form was almost empty oddly enough)

You mean the Google Sheet (GPSTest Database)? Or the feedback email?

Friendly reminder that the info in the feedback email is really just a hack that I put together to let people see details locally while troubleshooting uploading data to the GPSTest Database - a real UI for viewing device capabilities in the app will be coming later in https://github.com/barbeau/gpstest/issues/313. The most reliable way to see capability info is to submit to the database. You need to be on the "Status" screen and get a fix before the info is available (for Database or feedback email), and the Database upload UI makes that clear, but the feedback email doesn't.

Sean

gpsfan

Mar 10, 2021, 12:23:47 PM3/10/21
to GPSTest
I think it's  "ok" for people who know the group and the app to send the log "blindly", but it's a bit more problematic to ask that of people who have no idea what this is all about ;-)

Anyway, yes it was the "Send Feedback" form that was practically empty :
" App version: v3.8.4 (18076-google)
Model: KB2003
Android version: 11 / 30
Location: XXX
GNSS HW Year: 2020
Raw measurements: SUPPORTED
Navigation messages: NOT_SUPPORTED
NMEA: SUPPORTED
Inject PSDS: SUPPORTED"

Geo++Rinex confirmed there was no ADR data being provided sadly as there was no "cycle slips" activity.

Sean Barbeau

Mar 10, 2021, 12:33:46 PM3/10/21
to gpsfan, GPSTest
Yes, looks like from the below feedback email contents that the user wasn't on the Status screen and/or hadn't acquired a fix. If they start up the app again, go to Status screen, get a fix, and then look at the feedback email it should be populated. But again, that method isn't really intended as a diagnosis tool because of the hackiness - easier to just upload to the database.

Sean

gpsfan

Mar 10, 2021, 12:44:52 PM3/10/21
to GPSTest
I did have him double-check that he had a fix and I just tried right now and it doesn't seem to matter whether you're on the Status page to get the full list, worked on all other pages with my Mi 8