Random locations I haven't been to appear on my track

David Anderson

Sep 18, 2021, 2:57:59 AM9/18/21
to GPS Essentials
Samsung A8
Android V9 Kernel 4.4.111
GPS Essentials V4.4.64

Hello

The problem I am having is that I get random points appearing on the route I have walked, the GPS co-ordinates of which are nowhere near anyplace I have walked on the track.

I have provided some examples (see attachments)

For both Tracks A and B, I start where the chequered flag is, and walk north onto the beach and then in a CCW direction, looping around for about 3.5K finishing where I started. The two locations marked with a "?" are random departures -  I never went anywhere near those points.

It doesn't just happen once per track either. On Track C (I used the KML file in Google Earth to make this). I start at "a" as usual, and it departs seven times from the track I am walking.
Red - the track i actually walked
Red dots where GPS Essentials followed my track
Yellow 1 - 7: the random departures from the track to points miles away

After point 3, it just stops following my track altogether

Any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers

David

Track_C.jpg
Track_A-GPS Essentials.jpg
Track_B_GPS Essentials.jpg

David Anderson

Sep 20, 2021, 12:47:27 AM9/20/21
to GPS Essentials

Anyone?

Kevin Jackson

Sep 20, 2021, 1:14:58 AM9/20/21
to gpsess...@googlegroups.com

Sorry David for the slack reply.

I am not much of a computer person.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app a few times.

It is working properly about 75% of the times now.

When it starts initially or when I restart the track it selects a random location within 2-3km of my location pin as the track starting point before jumping to my actual location.

Satellite coverage is okay.

It my be a conflict between the phone GPS location and the app GPS.

I really don’t know.

The developers don’t appear interested.

Good Luck.

Kevin

David Anderson

Sep 20, 2021, 6:26:04 AM9/20/21
to GPS Essentials
Hi

Well, what I did today is download an App called GPS Logger, and I walked a similar track using it with the same starting point. It doesn't appear to have a mapping function, but I can open the kml file in GPS Essentials, and the tracking worked perfectly. (screenshot attached)

I guess I will just use GPS Logger, and keep GPS Essentials for the mapping function
Screenshot_20210920-221928.jpg

Rodolfo Milos

Sep 20, 2021, 7:21:48 AM9/20/21
to gpsess...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Same for me. It seems that if I'm outdoors and look at the satélites before starting the track I have no random initial points.
Could it be that the first non accurate fix is recorded too soon when I start recording the track first?
Best
Rodolfo

Kevin Jackson

Sep 21, 2021, 10:00:57 PM9/21/21
to gpsess...@googlegroups.com

Hello ,

Although the location arrow shows my correct position at home, as soon as I start a track it jumps 2km ahead to the local garage and tracks back to home ad generally works okay after that.

Still issues with the screen display data and widget data.

All the Best.

Kevin

Robert Hoft

Apr 16, 2023, 9:13:09 AM4/16/23
to GPS Essentials
Hi outdoor enthusiasts,

I am adding to this old thread having the same problem reported by David Anderson since I installed the latest version of GPS essentials to a new phone. His anyone figured out where the issue lies?

Thanks,
Robert