GWT strengths and suitability for enterprise apps - presentation

gau...@ainosoft.com

Dec 8, 2015, 12:52:35 PM12/8/15
to GWT Users
Dear community members,

Recently I came across a medium sized company specializing in BI and analytics and pitched them to switch their dev stack from Angular JS to GWT. Though I am yet to know how successful I am in it I definitely managed to create some ripples and start an internal debate.

For this I created a Google presentation here.

I invite all of you to comment, debate and create a community ready material for all who may need in future.

Let me know if there are any issues in accessing the document.

thanks,
Debasish

Thomas Broyer

Dec 8, 2015, 5:28:57 PM12/8/15
to GWT Users
You should start by stopping calling it "Google Web Toolkit" as that's no longer its name for a couple of years now (since the Steering Committee was created)

Anand, Debasish Gautam

Dec 8, 2015, 5:35:52 PM12/8/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Well in that case, everyone would like to know what the G there stands for :) any clues ?

Debasish (Gautam) Padhy | Director
Aino softwares pvt.ltd.
Gulmohar Court, 3rd floor, Lane B, koregaon park, pune- 411001.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:28 AM, Thomas Broyer <t.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
You should start by stopping calling it "Google Web Toolkit" as that's no longer its name for a couple of years now (since the Steering Committee was created)

Jens

Dec 8, 2015, 6:24:59 PM12/8/15
to GWT Users

Well in that case, everyone would like to know what the G there stands for :) any clues ?

"Name is spelled GWT - all capital and it stands for GWT Web Toolkit."

-- J.

Anand, Debasish Gautam

Dec 9, 2015, 1:04:45 AM12/9/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Unfortunately GWT = GWT web toolkit sounds quite terrible. Anyone would ask what GWT in GWT stands. By this naming policy we are forcing the legacy to become more prominent. Why shouldn't we call it Grumpy web toolkit or say Grand web toolkit to make the transition smooth and natural.

Stefan Bylund

Anand, Debasish Gautam

Dec 9, 2015, 3:50:37 AM12/9/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Stefan. I still feel GWT as a name in itself does a terrible job in promoting itself and I see the need for finding a better representative name. Though it could be possibly only myself who sees the need.

Regards,
Gautam

Vassilis Virvilis

Dec 9, 2015, 4:19:22 AM12/9/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
maybe,

but the GWT name has already established a brand name. People know about it, search engines know about it. IMHO the confusion risk is much bigger from any gain you might have by removing the G from GWT just because it is coming from google.

After all, aren't we all coming from somewhere? Don't we (most of us ) carry our family names?

    Vassilis

Vassilis Virvilis

Anand, Debasish Gautam

Dec 9, 2015, 4:25:09 AM12/9/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I find it a bit odd. The group reads google-web-toolkit and so as pretty much everything associated with GWT. How can we possibly expect anyone to let GWT be pronounced as gwit and not expect them to ask a question as what it stands for ? GWT in itself is an odd acronym if it doesn't stand for anything. I think changing the Google bit would do it a lot good then bad while keeping GWT as it is. IMO

Gautam

Debasish (Gautam) Padhy | Director
Aino softwares pvt.ltd.
Gulmohar Court, 3rd floor, Lane B, koregaon park, pune- 411001.

Jens

Dec 9, 2015, 5:29:26 AM12/9/15
to GWT Users

I find it a bit odd. The group reads google-web-toolkit and so as pretty much everything associated with GWT.

Actually this group is named "GWT Users" (which matches "GWT Contributors", "GWT Steering"). Only the URL hasn't been changed to not break existing links to existing discussions. Not sure if a HTTP moved permanently would be possible so the URL could also be updated.

-- J.

gau...@ainosoft.com

Dec 9, 2015, 5:33:49 AM12/9/15
to GWT Users
I still think - if one of our goal is to shake off Google from GWT it deserves a complete name change. An acronym that doesn't stand for anything is odd IMO and will find few takers. May be we should consider this in 3.0.

Jens

Dec 9, 2015, 5:40:21 AM12/9/15
to GWT Users

May be we should consider this in 3.0.

There was already some talk about wether or not renaming GWT when 3.0 is released as 3.0 will likely be very different. But at the end its a decision made by the steering group. If they are not sure about it they will probably do a poll and ask the community.

But for now you should follow GWT's naming policy as mentioned above.

-- J.

Thomas Broyer

Dec 9, 2015, 6:16:13 AM12/9/15
to GWT Users

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 11:29:26 AM UTC+1, Jens wrote:

I find it a bit odd. The group reads google-web-toolkit and so as pretty much everything associated with GWT.

Actually this group is named "GWT Users" (which matches "GWT Contributors", "GWT Steering"). Only the URL hasn't been changed to not break existing links to existing discussions. Not sure if a HTTP moved permanently would be possible so the URL could also be updated.

Actually, I haven't renamed the group primarily because that would also change the email address (HTTP URLs come a close second).
I don't think Google does forwarding after renames (like GitHub does for example)

Thomas Broyer

Dec 9, 2015, 6:17:47 AM12/9/15
to GWT Users
GNU's Not Unix.

(note: "Great Web Toolkit" was actually proposed IIRC)

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 7:04:45 AM UTC+1, gau...@ainosoft.com wrote:

Unfortunately GWT = GWT web toolkit sounds quite terrible. Anyone would ask what GWT in GWT stands. By this naming policy we are forcing the legacy to become more prominent. Why shouldn't we call it Grumpy web toolkit or say Grand web toolkit to make the transition smooth and natural.

On Dec 9, 2015 1:25 AM, "Jens" <jens.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well in that case, everyone would like to know what the G there stands for :) any clues ?

"Name is spelled GWT - all capital and it stands for GWT Web Toolkit."

-- J.

Rogelio Flores

Dec 9, 2015, 4:28:11 PM12/9/15
to GWT Users
Regarding your presentation:

Slide 5 - mentions that GWT 3.0 has "revolutionary use cases". What are you referring to?

I would add a slide that talks about some of the shortcomings of GWT. For instance:
Widgets out of the box are somewhat lacking, at least if you want eye-candy, but html5/css3 can be used to create layout, panels, and widgets. In addition, any external JS/CSS libraries could be used as well. Lastly, existing layout and other types of panels provide a good foundation for custom layouts and/or widgets.

I would also highlight (don't remember if this was mentioned) that the optimizations that GWT does on Java->Javascript, CSS, and Images, etc, are particularly well-suited for viewing your gwt-based app on mobile devices (mgwt).

Debasish Padhy

Jul 19, 2019, 8:46:31 AM7/19/19
to GWT Users
Hi Rogelio,

Its been a real long time and somehow I missed your reply. Thank you for taking the time to look and respond. Appreciated.

Since then we have pretty much moved on to use Angular 2 and other frameworks except one app that still lives on GWT.

Do you have any clues if there are further efforts planned or ongoing ?

Debasish

Rogelio Flores

Jul 19, 2019, 12:38:14 PM7/19/19
to GWT Users
If by "further efforts" you mean efforts to improve or add functionality to GWT, yes there are.
The latest release (2.8.2) is more than a year old, but GWT is a mature technology, and current efforts are focused on the next major release of GWT (version 3.0), which will deprecate several internal technologies of GWT, and change its transpiler to use j2cl which are major efforts. You can read more about the current efforts and plans for GWT 3.0 in this group, in threads such as this one:

Ahmad Bawaneh

Feb 20, 2020, 7:34:34 AM2/20/20
to GWT Users
Would be also a good idea to point out to the evolving new ecosystem where new libraries and frameworks are being introduced.