gwt-maven-springboot-archetype updated ...

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 2, 2024, 4:46:30 AMJan 2
to GWT Users
Happy new year! I just released a new version of the https://github.com/NaluKit/gwt-maven-springboot-archetype. The clean-modular-springboot-webapp generates now a Spring Boot 3 (Java 17) with GWT 2.10.0 multi module project. Happy coding!

Craig Mitchell

Jan 5, 2024, 8:13:46 PMJan 5
to GWT Users
Thank you!  I was struggling to get Springboot to work with GWT, and this did it beautifully!

One thing I messed up:

> Define value for property 'package' teamdrift: : jar

I thought it meant how did I want to package the output, as I need an executable jar, not a war.  But it meant what did I want my Java package to be.  lol.

One small error, the top level pom.xml has 3 blank lines between every XML line.  Just like this:  https://github.com/NaluKit/gwt-maven-springboot-archetype/blob/main/clean-modular-springboot-webapp/src/test/resources/projects/basic-webapp/reference/pom.xml  Easy to fix up, so only a very minor error.

Thank you for making this awesome tool!

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 6, 2024, 6:36:31 AMJan 6
to GWT Users
The plugin uses the same input (except for the artifactId) as Thomas Broyer's gwt-maven-archetype.

> One small error, the top level pom.xml has 3 blank lines between every XML line.  Just like this:  https://github.com/NaluKit/gwt-maven-springboot-archetype/blob/main/clean-modular-springboot-webapp/src/test/resources/projects/basic-webapp/reference/pom.xml  Easy to fix up, so only a very minor error.

Yeah, that is something annoying. But, no chance to fix it. It seams, it is a bug inside the maven archetype: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARCHETYPE-584. Think, we have to wait until this one gets fixed.

grays...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2024, 1:47:52 AMJan 22
to GWT Users
Hi Frank,

Would you please also publish the new version for "modular-springboot-webapp" (the one that generates a gwt project with sample code)? The lastest verison of "modular-springboot-webapp" is still "2022.9.14" which is more than a year old.

Thanks,
Grayson

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 22, 2024, 8:29:41 AMJan 22
to GWT Users
Hi Grayson,

it's on my To-Do-list. I had to wait until GWT 2.11.0 is released. I'll try to take a look today.

cu Frank

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 23, 2024, 7:05:48 AMJan 23
to GWT Users
Hi,

both archetypes have been updated to the latest GWT (2.11.0) & Spring Boot version (3.2.2).
Happy generating ...

cu Frank

Craig Mitchell

Jan 24, 2024, 4:39:07 AMJan 24
to GWT Users
I was going to suggest the GWT doco gets updated to use this, but I see you already have!  https://www.gwtproject.org/gettingstarted-v2.html

Excellent stuff!  👍

Craig Mitchell

Jan 24, 2024, 4:58:45 AMJan 24
to GWT Users
Ignore my post.  Just realised the doco uses net.ltgt.gwt.archetypes and not the springboot com.github.nalukit.archetype.

And thus, it's still on GWT 2.10.0, and not 2.11.0 with the jakarta stuff.

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 24, 2024, 6:35:59 AMJan 24
to GWT Users
Yeap, that's right. Needs an update. May be I'll create a PR ...

At the end of the  https://www.gwtproject.org/gettingstarted-v2.html site, you will find a link to the springboot-archetype.

Thomas Broyer

Jan 24, 2024, 1:55:33 PMJan 24
to GWT Users
I updated modular-webapp (and modular-requestfactory) to GWT 2.11 (in version 2024.1.24)

Thomas Broyer

Jan 24, 2024, 1:57:12 PMJan 24
to GWT Users
oh, and GWT 2.11 with Jakarta Servlet and Jetty 11; so requiring at least Java 11.

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 24, 2024, 2:08:27 PMJan 24
to GWT Users
Thanks!

Craig Mitchell

Jan 24, 2024, 6:21:00 PMJan 24
to GWT Users
Awesome stuff!  Thank you both.  Makes starting a new GWT project a breeze!

Ralph Fiergolla

Jan 25, 2024, 1:55:48 AMJan 25
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Finally! Thanks a lot!

Craig Mitchell

Jan 31, 2024, 7:00:43 AMJan 31
to GWT Users
Hi,

I'm able to debug the GWT client okay (in Chrome).  However, debugging the SpringBoot server in IntelliJ isn't working.

I already have the code server running, and then I start the server with:

mvnDebug spring-boot:run -pl mywebapp-server -am

The server then waits for the debugger to attach, so I start up a remote JVM debug in IntelliJ:

Screen.png

And it attaches to the server, which then triggers the server to continue its start.

Everything is now up and running great.

However, putting breakpoints in the server code in IntelliJ, the breakpoints never get hit.  Any suggestions as to why?

This might not be a GWT issue, so apologies if it isn't.

Thanks.

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 31, 2024, 8:57:08 AMJan 31
to GWT Users
Hi,

in case using the Ultimate Edition, and have the Spring Developers Plugin installed, just select the Application file and click the green triangle.

In both edition creating a Maven run configuration should also work.

rc-spring-boot.png

bbe...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2024, 1:12:22 PMJan 31
to GWT Users
The problem is that spring-boot:run is going to launch another Java process for you application, so mvnDebug is attached to the first Maven process, not your application.

You will need to execute spring-boot:run passing the config to enable remote debugging:

mvn spring-boot:run -pl your-project  "-Dspring-boot.run.jvmArguments=-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000"

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 31, 2024, 2:35:40 PMJan 31
to GWT Users
Thanks, I am usually using the Spring Boot run configuration from IntelliJ. This works without additional parameters.
Message has been deleted

Frank Hossfeld

Jan 31, 2024, 2:38:47 PMJan 31
to GWT Users
Mmmh, it might be worth adding this information to the archetype docs.

Craig Mitchell

Jan 31, 2024, 4:49:41 PMJan 31
to GWT Users
Thank you!  Working great now (quotes were important).  👍

Screen.png

Thomas Broyer

Feb 1, 2024, 3:44:19 AMFeb 1
to GWT Users
You may want to use -agentlib:jdwp (as given by IntelliJ IDEA) rather than the legacy -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp (and then you no longer need the quotes 😉)

And when I say legacy, I really mean it: already in Java 8 -Xdebug does nothing (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/java.html#BABHDABI) and Xrunjdwp is superceded by agentlib (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/java.html#BABDCEGG)

Craig Mitchell

Feb 1, 2024, 5:54:46 PMFeb 1
to GWT Users
Thanks Thomas.  Now switched to:

-Dspring-boot.run.jvmArguments=-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=*:8000

Screen.png

Which also works great.  🙂

Craig Mitchell

Feb 2, 2024, 7:10:34 PMFeb 2
to GWT Users
Just realised you can also set it in your server pom.xml, in the Spring Boot Maven plugin (configuration > jvmArguments), instead of the launcher:

<plugin>
  <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
  <artifactId>spring-boot-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <goals>
        <goal>repackage</goal>
      </goals>
    </execution>
  </executions>
  <configuration>
    <skip>false</skip>
    <jvmArguments>
      -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=*:8000
    </jvmArguments>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

Craig Mitchell

Feb 3, 2024, 10:57:34 PMFeb 3
to GWT Users
I noticed that it always logs the error:

ERROR: The serialization policy file '/mywebapp/xxx.gwt.rpc' was not found; did you forget to include it in this deployment?

on the first RPC call.  The RPC still seems to work fine, but wondering if this is an issue or not?

Thanks.

Frank Hossfeld

Feb 4, 2024, 11:59:55 AMFeb 4
to GWT Users
Please can you open an issue regarding the gwt-servlet-jakarta problem ...

Thanks

Craig Mitchell

Feb 4, 2024, 8:13:45 PMFeb 4
to GWT Users

Frank Hossfeld

Feb 6, 2024, 2:11:15 AMFeb 6
to GWT Users
new version is online ...

Frank Hossfeld

Mar 4, 2024, 3:55:58 AMMar 4
to GWT Users
Thanks Craig for contributing. New version is online.

Craig Mitchell

Mar 4, 2024, 6:59:57 AMMar 4
to GWT Users
Thank you Frank for making the excellent tool!  Just checked the changes, working perfectly.  🙂