New Widgets Library: XGL

xaly...@gmail.com

May 10, 2018, 2:58:10 AM5/10/18
to GWT Users
Hi Guys,

A few years ago, when I heard the idea of removing widgets from GWT 3.0, I sensed it would be a huge issue.

I started to build my own widgets, with no ties at all with the GWT widgets and events.

More than 175,000 lines of Java code and CSS later, I decided to bundle them together in one library: XGL.

It is still under development, but you can a have a look and tell me what you think about it.

I posted a video on youtube: XGL Introduction

You can go to my website xalys.com, and launch the Kitchensink web app to see some example of code.

I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it!

Best,
Paul

Giuseppe La Scaleia

May 10, 2018, 3:28:52 AM5/10/18
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Very cool.
Can i have the url for source code??
Regards
Giuseppe

Giuseppe La Scaleia
CNR - IMAA
geoSDI
Sviluppo Software

C.da S. Loja
85050  Tito Scalo - POTENZA (PZ)
Italia

phone:  +39 0971427305
fax:      +39 0971 427271
mob:    +39 3312174998
mail:     giuseppe....@geosdi.org
skype:  glascaleia

web:     http://www.geosdi.org

管理人です。

pierre

May 10, 2018, 11:39:54 PM5/10/18
to GWT Users
Nice!

Dr. Lofi Dewanto

May 15, 2018, 6:51:45 AM5/15/18
to GWT Users
Nice work,

what kind of web tech do you use? Elemental2 or Canval HTML?

Thanks,
Lofi
Message has been deleted

Paul Sitarz

May 15, 2018, 4:31:55 PM5/15/18
to GWT Users
Hello Giuseppe,

Yes, you can have the source code and try XGL by yourself. You can create an individual membership, and you'll get access to the Download page.

I know there is a modest contribution, but before you object, let me explain why.

I work full time on XGL, to make it better and expand its functionalities. Please see the individual membership as crowdfunding for the development of the library. I will highly appreciate your contribution, and in exchange, you will have the source code and the updates of the library.

Thank you!
Best,
Paul

Paul Sitarz

May 15, 2018, 4:49:06 PM5/15/18
to GWT Users
Hello Lofi,

Thank you for your friendly words.

I do not use Elemental2.

I recreated from scratch all the DOM wrapper objects, a complete Widget hierarchy, and an event management system.

It is the main reason why XGL code length is more than 175,000 line of code and CSS :-)

But doing so allowed me to have more flexibility to leverage modern browsers capabilities, and handle challenges of web applications efficiently. For example, there is a component in XGL that prevent layout trashing (or reflows) by scheduling all the reading and writing in the DOM intelligently. I called this component "Presto".

I will post later this week an article on my blog an article explaining layout trashing, and how Presto handles it.

Best,
Paul
Message has been deleted

Paul Sitarz

Jun 12, 2018, 2:01:44 PM6/12/18
to GWT Users
Hi guys,

I just posted a new video on Youtube about layout trashing/reflows, event throttling, and animations.

And how XGL's Presto scheduler manages all the reading and writing in the DOM to prevent layout trashing.

You can also read the blog post "Presto Scheduler."

I hope you'll find it interesting!

Best,
Paul

Paul Sitarz

Oct 22, 2019, 11:50:26 AM10/22/19
to GWT Users
Hi Guys,

I decided to release a community edition of my widget library XGL.

To get it, just sign in on my website, xalys.com, then go to the download menu.

To see how it works just check the kitchensink webapp!

Best,
Paul

Frank

Oct 23, 2019, 5:12:25 AM10/23/19
to GWT Users
Does this library work with J2CL ?

Paul Sitarz

Oct 23, 2019, 11:00:39 AM10/23/19
to GWT Users
So far it works with GWT 2.8.2.

It does not work yet with J2CL, however it is the goal.