GWT and JDK questions

Martin Nguyen

Oct 28, 2020, 8:30:33 AM10/28/20
to GWT Users
Hi,

I have some questions regarding version upgrades, hopefully anyone can help me with some answers.

1. Am i correct in thinking that GWT2.9.0 does not support the syntax of JDK9 or higher?

2. Can i use Java11 with GWT2.9.0 to compile my application?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Broyer

Oct 28, 2020, 8:34:11 AM10/28/20
to GWT Users

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 1:30:33 PM UTC+1, Martin Nguyen wrote:
Hi,

I have some questions regarding version upgrades, hopefully anyone can help me with some answers.

1. Am i correct in thinking that GWT2.9.0 does not support the syntax of JDK9 or higher?

No.
You can use up to Java 11 syntax.

2. Can i use Java11 with GWT2.9.0 to compile my application?

Yes.

Fwiw, the answers to these questions are in http://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html#Release_Notes_2_9_0, in the highlights:
> Added support for Java language levels 9, 10, and 11.
> […] The release was tested and found to work cross platform when run with Java 8, 11, and 14.

Martin Nguyen

Oct 28, 2020, 9:00:53 AM10/28/20
to GWT Users

Thank you for answers.
I tried using @Deprecated (since="2.0", forRemoval=true) and got compilation errors, then i found out that the GWT default JRE emulation uses JDK8 java.lang.Deprecated which may or may not have been the culprit to my issues.
So i asked to get confirmation by the community.

Thanks again!
Best regards

Jens

Oct 28, 2020, 12:41:35 PM10/28/20
to GWT Users

I tried using @Deprecated (since="2.0", forRemoval=true) and got compilation errors, then i found out that the GWT default JRE emulation uses JDK8 java.lang.Deprecated which may or may not have been the culprit to my issues.
So i asked to get confirmation by the community.

While you can use Java 11 syntax, the emulated JRE API is on Java 8 level, see: https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9547

-- J.