Maven Plugin for GWT: "An internal error occurred during: "BBj - GWT Compile". Model not available for BBj"

Jim Douglas

Sep 18, 2019, 2:22:07 PM9/18/19
to GWT Users
I was able to get a Java 11 / Eclipse 2019-06 development environment building my GWT project with Maven Plugin for GWT a few months ago, but the GWT compile stopped working after updating to Eclipse 2019-06 today, and the error message doesn't give me much to work with. Any idea what this is trying to tell me?

An internal error occurred during: "BBj - GWT Compile".

Model not available for BBj

GWT-compile.png

Here's the pom.xml file for my BBj package:

xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">

<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

<groupId>BBj</groupId>

<artifactId>BBj</artifactId>

<version>19.20-SNAPSHOT</version>

    <packaging>gwt-app</packaging>

<dependencyManagement>

<dependencies>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt</artifactId>

<version>2.8.2</version>

<type>pom</type>

<scope>import</scope>

</dependency>

</dependencies>

</dependencyManagement>

<dependencies>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-user</artifactId>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.google.gwt</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-dev</artifactId>

<exclusions>

<exclusion>

<groupId>xml-apis</groupId>

<artifactId>xml-apis</artifactId>

</exclusion>

<exclusion>

<groupId>net.sourceforge.htmlunit</groupId>

<artifactId>htmlunit</artifactId>

</exclusion>

</exclusions>

</dependency>

</dependencies>

<build>

<sourceDirectory>src</sourceDirectory>

<resources>

<resource>

<directory>src</directory>

<excludes>

<exclude>**/*.java</exclude>

</excludes>

</resource>

<resource>

<directory>.apt_generated</directory>

<excludes>

<exclude>**/*.java</exclude>

</excludes>

</resource>

</resources>

<plugins>

<plugin>

<version>3.8.0</version>

<configuration>

<release>11</release>

</configuration>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<groupId>net.ltgt.gwt.maven</groupId>

<artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<version>1.0-rc-10</version>

<extensions>true</extensions>

<configuration>

<moduleName>com.basis.bbj.web.gwt.GWTWebClient</moduleName>

                    <outputDirectory>war/WEB-INF/classes</outputDirectory>

</configuration>

</plugin>

</plugins>

</build>

</project>

Jim Douglas

Sep 18, 2019, 2:26:57 PM9/18/19
to GWT Users
(That should have said " after updating to Eclipse 2019-09 today.")

Jim Douglas

Oct 3, 2019, 10:51:18 AM10/3/19
to GWT Users
Any suggestions?

Jim Douglas

Jan 24, 2020, 5:26:18 PM1/24/20
to GWT Users
I'm getting kind of desperate here; can anyone offer any suggestions about this obscure "Model not available" internal GWT build error? I'm currently using:

* Eclipse 2019-12
* OpenJDK 11.0.6
* GWT 2.8.2
Maven Plugin for GWT

Am I doing anything obviously stupid in this pom.xml?

xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">

<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

<groupId>BBj</groupId>

<artifactId>BBj</artifactId>

<version>19.30-SNAPSHOT</version>

Eclipse-GWT-Compile.png

Jens

Jan 25, 2020, 9:37:48 AM1/25/20
to GWT Users
What does the Eclipse error log show? Sounds like an Eclipse / some plugin issue and the error log should show some stack trace.

-- J.

Jim Douglas

Jan 25, 2020, 12:33:31 PM1/25/20
to GWT Users
Thanks, Jens; does this help at all? As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, it was working in Eclipse 2019-06, then started failing with this internal exception in Eclipse 2019-09.

org.eclipse.buildship.core.internal.GradlePluginsRuntimeException: Model not available for BBj
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.internal.workspace.GradleClasspathContainerRuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(GradleClasspathContainerRuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.java:77)
at org.eclipse.buildship.core.internal.workspace.GradleClasspathContainerRuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(GradleClasspathContainerRuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.java:66)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.RuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(RuntimeClasspathEntryResolver.java:110)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(JavaRuntime.java:1505)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.DefaultEntryResolver.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(DefaultEntryResolver.java:70)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(JavaRuntime.java:1508)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(JavaRuntime.java:1444)
at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.compile.GWTCompileRunner.computeClasspath(GWTCompileRunner.java:156)
at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.compile.GWTCompileRunner.computeCompilerCommandLine(GWTCompileRunner.java:231)
at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.compile.GWTCompileRunner.compile(GWTCompileRunner.java:81)
at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.compile.GWTCompileRunner.compileWithCancellationSupport(GWTCompileRunner.java:126)
at com.google.gwt.eclipse.core.actions.GWTCompileToolbarHandler$1.runInWorkspace(GWTCompileToolbarHandler.java:136)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
GWT-Plugin-Exception.png

Jens

Jan 25, 2020, 12:51:32 PM1/25/20
to GWT Users
Looks like Eclipse wants to resolve classpath entries using Gradle (through Eclipse Buildship Plugin bundled with Eclipse to support project configuration based on Gradle).

Maybe Gradle is enabled in your project for any reason, even though you are using Maven?

-- J.

Jim Douglas

Jan 27, 2020, 1:39:54 PM1/27/20
to GWT Users
Gradle is used in another package in this project, but not in the package where I'm trying to do a GWT Compile; this package doesn't use gradle at all.

I do see reports of this same internal gradle exception in recent Eclipse distributions:

Jim Douglas

Jan 28, 2020, 12:25:55 PM1/28/20
to GWT Users
Still feeling my way around this. It seems clear that there was a bug introduced in Eclipse 2019-09 that still exists in Eclipse 2019-12. This Eclipse bug report shows the same basic error from a different context:

The challenge here is that the package in question doesn't use Gradle at all.

Jim Douglas

Jan 29, 2020, 5:24:09 PM1/29/20
to GWT Users
Update: I found a classpath entry that does use Gradle, and the GWT Compile runs when I remove that Gradle-related entry. Now that I've isolated the source of the problem, I'm trying (with no success yet) to work around it. It looks like this is the main bug report: