The GWT Eclipse Plugin stopped working in Eclipse 2021-06

Jim Douglas

Jun 16, 2021, 1:22:34 PM6/16/21
to GWT Users
I just updated my Eclipse development environment from 2021-03 to 2021-06. The installed GWT Eclipse Plugin (which hasn't been updated since 2017) no longer shows up in the menu bar, and it logs a bunch of errors. Is anyone (Brandon?) still maintaining it?

  GWT Eclipse Plugin 3.0.0.201710131939 com.gwtplugins.eclipse.suite.v3.feature.feature.group GWT Eclipse Plugin

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.core [3649]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Bundle: com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform
    -> Bundle-SymbolicName: com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform; bundle-version="3.0.0.201710131939"; singleton:="true"
       com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform [3651]
         No resolution report for the bundle.  Bundle was not resolved because of a uses constraint violation.
  org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Uses constraint violation. Unable to resolve resource com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.201710131939"; osgi.identity="com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform"; singleton:="true"] because it is exposed to package 'javax.servlet' from resources javax.servlet [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.v201112011016"; osgi.identity="javax.servlet"] and jakarta.servlet-api [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="4.0.0"; osgi.identity="jakarta.servlet-api"] via two dependency chains.

Chain 1:
  com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.201710131939"; osgi.identity="com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform"; singleton:="true"]
    require: (osgi.wiring.bundle=javax.servlet)

    provide: osgi.wiring.bundle: javax.servlet
  javax.servlet [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.v201112011016"; osgi.identity="javax.servlet"]

Chain 2:
  com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.201710131939"; osgi.identity="com.gwtplugins.gdt.eclipse.platform"; singleton:="true"]
    require: (osgi.wiring.bundle=org.eclipse.jetty.servlet)

    provide: osgi.wiring.bundle; bundle-version:Version="10.0.5"; osgi.wiring.bundle="org.eclipse.jetty.servlet"
  org.eclipse.jetty.servlet [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="10.0.5"; osgi.identity="org.eclipse.jetty.servlet"]
    import: (&(osgi.wiring.package=javax.servlet)(&(version>=4.0.0)(!(version>=5.0.0))))

    export: osgi.wiring.package: javax.servlet
  jakarta.servlet-api [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="4.0.0"; osgi.identity="jakarta.servlet-api"]
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1849)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1842)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1783)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1747)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1669)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

Craig Mitchell

Aug 7, 2021, 12:46:30 AM8/7/21
to GWT Users
I just did a fresh install on a new PC, and the GWT plugin worked fine with Eclipse 2021-06.

The only issue I have is when I launch Chrome from Eclipse, Chrome opens fine, however, I get this error:
error.png
and I can't debug the browser in Eclipse.  Debugging still works fine in Chrome.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 8, 2021, 2:25:19 AM8/8/21
to GWT Users
Tried a fresh Eclipse install, and also tried installing the GWT plugin without the Chrome debugger, and then adding the SDBG manually from here https://sdbg.github.io/ with no luck.

Looks like the SDBG died somewhere between my old 2018-12 Eclipse, and 2021-06 Eclipse.

Looking at the error:  javax/xml/bind/Datatypeconverter not found, it sounds like it's because Eclipse can no longer run on Java 8 (I'm running it on Java 11).

Does anyone have Chrome debug in Eclipse still working?  Or are there any other plugins that we can use?

Ralph Fiergolla

Aug 8, 2021, 2:38:53 AM8/8/21
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Stopped using Eclipse plug-ins just recently when going to JDK11. Am using Maven Jetty plugin to run code server and host the application.

It was a bit cumbersome to set up (steep Maven learning curve!) but was worth it in the end: onboard a new developer in no time (if Maven is already configured).

Server side debugging in Eclipse (or whatever is your preferred IDE), client side in Chrome or Edge.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 8, 2021, 3:05:13 AM8/8/21
to GWT Users
>  client side in Chrome or Edge

Yep, I can still do this.  And when I want to step into code, I often do just use the Chrome debugger (as the SDBG plugin was a bit of hit and miss when inspecting variable, etc.).

However, it's very convient to get the Chrome console right in Eclipse.  You can instantly see if anything is going wrong.  That's the main reason it'd be great to get the SDBG plugin working again.

I guess I could try to fix SDBG myself.  Looks like this is the problem:

I'll post a message in https://groups.google.com/g/sdbg first, and hope someone that knows something about the plugin responds.  :-)

Shawn Asamoto-Brown

Aug 9, 2021, 10:33:23 AM8/9/21
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Using SDGB built from recent code solves the issue (of it not working with Java 11).  Just do a maven build and install in eclipse from the archive.  At the time I moved to Java 11, it was at com.github.sdbg.releng.p2/target/com.github.sdbg.releng.p2-1.0.10.qualifier.zip

Perhaps the version has changed since then.

I think the SDGB repo is in GitHub or someplace similar.  Not at my computer at the moment so can’t confirm.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 10, 2021, 8:09:22 PM8/10/21
to GWT Users
Hi Shawn.

> Just do a maven build and install in eclipse from the archive

Sorry, I'm not understanding, which build and what archive?

The SDBG repos is here:  https://github.com/sdbg/sdbg

When I get some time, I'll check out the  SDBG repos, modify the code to remove the use of DatatypeConverter, build, and then install in Eclipse, and hopefully that fixes the problem.

Cheers.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 11, 2021, 7:06:40 AM8/11/21
to GWT Users
Sorry, I understand now.  Other people have fixed it, it just hasn't been released.  I'm guessing this was the fix:  https://github.com/sdbg/sdbg/commit/be4f2e193bf6f31fefc00985e8657e1254b2230c

So, to get it working.  Steps:

1.  Uninstall the existing one:
plugin.png
3. Run maven:  mvn package

Plugin is in:  com.github.sdbg.releng.p2\target\com.github.sdbg.releng.p2-1.0.10.qualifier.zip

And all working great now!  Yay!  Thanks.

Shawn Brown

Aug 11, 2021, 7:10:12 AM8/11/21
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The latest SDBG release was 2015.  You need to build it to get the code changes that enable Java 11 to work.

Message has been deleted

mmo

Aug 20, 2021, 4:04:46 AM8/20/21
to GWT Users
@Craig Mitchell
> And all working great now!  Yay!  Thanks.

Unfortunately not quite:

While the instructions to download, build and replace the SDBG plugin do work fine the replacement of the plugin had a very adverse side-effect (on my eclipse at least - v2021-03):
With the new SDBG plugin installed the eGit-plugin reproducibly crashes. I.e. I then can not access any git-repo anymore using Eclipse.

Cheers,
Michael

Shawn Brown

Aug 20, 2021, 4:58:01 AM8/20/21
to google-web-toolkit
Hey.  Sorry to hear that.

I'm on v2021-06 and don't see eGit crashing.  That said, I mostly use GitHub Desktop.

I do remember struggling with v2021-03 to get a compatible eGit version installed.  Not sure why that was or if it's related to the SDBG plugin, but I think I installed the SDBG plugin prior to v2021-03.  Likely it was some other update or installation I tried that required a newer version of eGit and that installing it perhaps resolved the issue with SDBG.  Just speculation here...

Shawn Brown

Aug 20, 2021, 6:39:27 AM8/20/21
to google-web-toolkit
Ha funny or not after a little use I got the same error.

I couldn't find the underlying issue mentioned anywhere (was a missing class) so didn't know what to reinstall and just restarted eclipse.  It works again.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 20, 2021, 8:48:54 AM8/20/21
to GWT Users
I've not seen the error.   2021-06, connecting to a Bitbucket repos.

mmo

Aug 20, 2021, 8:51:03 AM8/20/21
to GWT Users
Unfortunately, just restarting eclipse hadn't fixed it. It kept crashing when opening the Git Repo view.
Only after uninstalling the (new) SDBG plugin the Git Repo view worked again.
I actually retried and re-installed the plugin a second time and got these crashes again. Then un-installed it a again and Git working again. Only then I reported here.

Will try again one I installed a newer eclipse version.

mmo

Aug 20, 2021, 10:38:22 AM8/20/21
to GWT Users
I experimented further and installed the very same plugin in a second instance of Eclipse (same version) and here it did not do any noticeable harm.
I haven't tested whether it actually works but at least it caused no trouble with the Git view. I guess my next step will be to clone that second eclipse instance and replace my first one.
Thanks for pointing out that you hadn't seen any such issue - this kept me going!

mmo

Aug 20, 2021, 11:09:06 AM8/20/21
to GWT Users
Now that's odd! Just out of curiosity I installed the plugin a 3rd time on my initial Eclipse instance (I wanted to see the exact exception stack trace hoping that this might give me a clue) and this time everything kept working fine! No more issue or interference with the Git view! Amazing! Keeping fingers crossed things stay like this...

Well, now I can finally continue on what I actually had intended to do: debug our GWT client problem. :-/
Thanks again for your detailed instructions re. the plugin again!