Old system in GWT 1.4.61

Mariano Godoy

Jul 25, 2022, 11:50:45 AM7/25/22
to GWT Users
Hi Guys

got an old system running in 1.4.61 that won't work in chrome.

This is a very complicated and old system that no one really knows about.

I am trying to do the minimum changes to get it to work with chrome.

Obvisouly the newer the GWT, the more breaking changes potentially introduced plus the backend will require java upgrade, so it will trigger a number of changes that I do not want to do, due to the reasons above.

Anyone knows when GWT first started supporting chrome?

thanks

Colin Alworth

Jul 25, 2022, 12:59:07 PM7/25/22
to GWT Users
There is no explicit "Chrome" support in GWT - Chrome started its life as another browser based around the WebKit engine. This is referred to in GWT as "safari", though WebKit started its life as part of the Konqueror browser, which pre-dates Safari's use of it (though arguably Safari popularized it).

Oddly, GWT 1.4.61 isn't even listed on https://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html, but your build is probably from about Aug 2007. According to Wikipedia, Chrome was first released in September 2008, and the last GWT 1.x release was made in September 2009, as GWT 1.7.1 (see https://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html#Release_Notes_1_7_1). If the issue is merely that there are some specific changes in the Chrome product (as opposed to Safari) that need minimal updates, that might be enough, and should be a very small change to your project (while still requiring an ancient version of Java, and platform-specific code to debug). The release notes should help in understanding what changes might be necessary.

With that said, I would be very surprised if the issue is simply that Chrome isn't supported by old versions of GWT, but more likely that some change happened in the last 15 years since GWT 1.4.61. Very likely GWT had the fix before Chrome introduced the breaking change, but without specifics of the actual issue you are facing, I couldn't guess further.

Can you give some specifics about what is not working, what error, logs, and behavior you are seeing? Have you tried updating as far as GWT 1.7 or some other early 2.x release to see if a simple update can keep your project building but still resolve this?

Craig Mitchell

Jul 25, 2022, 8:16:47 PM7/25/22
to GWT Users
Chrome is pretty good at telling you why it's not happy.  What does it say in the console?

There was no super dev mode back then, and the GWT plugin won't work in Chrome, so any changes you make will need a full compile and deploy each time to test them.