GWT 2.8.2 to 2.9.0 - Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml module file.The compile time user.agent value (safari) does not match the runtime user.agent value (gecko1_8).Expect more errors.

Freddy Boucher

May 18, 2020, 11:13:29 PM5/18/20
to GWT Users
Hi,

So I upgraded our app from GWT 2.8.2 to 2.9.0 and I'm facing an issue with Firefox (it's a GXT 4.0.3 app but I don't think it's relevant in this issue)

It throws an Exception:

Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml module file.The compile time user.agent value (safari) does not match the runtime user.agent value (gecko1_8).Expect more errors.

I can fix this issue by adding:

<set-configuration-property name="user.agent.runtimeWarning" value="false"/>

But I'd like to understand the root cause of this issue.

So I did some investigations and when I call:
System.getProperty("user.agent")

In my client code
  • with GWT 2.8.2, it returns gecko1_8
  • with GWT 2.9.0, it returns safari
But in both cases the backend picks-up the gecko1_8 permutation (I check it in compilation-mappings.txt).

Did GWT 2.9.0 introduce anything that could cause this behavior?

Thank you

Freddy Boucher

May 19, 2020, 12:01:08 AM5/19/20
to GWT Users
Oh I didn't notice it, but my demo app is also broken with Firefox:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.59.38 PM.png

Freddy Boucher

May 19, 2020, 1:05:58 AM5/19/20
to GWT Users
Ok I found the culprit!
It's the gwt-bean-validators library.
It's this particular commit: https://gitlab.com/ManfredTremmel/gwt-bean-validators/-/commit/da32e4003f6a55b12a3ac16cae7576b80e6749fd
They force the safari permutation for every browser:

<set-property name="user.agent" value="safari"/>

I can workaround it by updating my Module and set it back to original value like:

<set-property name="user.agent" value="ie8,gecko1_8,safari,ie9,ie10"/>

I'm going to report this issue to gwt-bean-validators.

Freddy