Updating GWT CLDR data from v25 to v32

Ahmad Bawaneh

Feb 2, 2018, 2:47:59 PM2/2/18
to GWT Contributors
Dears
I have been working on updating the CLDR data from cldr version 25 to cldr version 32, the generation of the new data have been done successfully and all gwt test cases pass.

i would like to make a pull request for both the cldr tools and gwt but first i need to discuss the part related to the GoogleMods.patch

this patch was supposed to be version 25 which is too old now and since we are going to a new version of cldr data 32 Do we still need to fix and apply the patch, or should we go with a more standard cldr data?

i need to decide on this before i finish my work and make a pull request.

Thanks

Ahmad Bawaneh

Feb 2, 2018, 2:51:18 PM2/2/18
to GWT Contributors
Sorry i forgot to link my work to this issue

Colin Alworth

Feb 16, 2018, 2:34:16 PM2/16/18
to GWT Contributors
From our discussion in Gitter, it sounds like many/most of the changes in GoogleMods are no longer needed to get tests to pass - either the existing tests are insufficient to make sure that these changes are still there, or the important changes have been folded in upstream.

I do recall that there were large portions of the patch that no longer apply cleanly (not a huge surprise since it is 7 versions apart), either because the change is already there, or because that region of code changed, and the diff no longer makes sense.

Googlers: If these changes are important, can you weigh in on how we will evaluate the jar before it gets pushed to tools? If not, are we comfortable just using the standard CLDR 32 release, so we can fix the out-of-date timezones that currently plague GWT?

Colin Alworth

Mar 1, 2018, 9:19:22 AM3/1/18
to GWT Contributors
With no replies in two weeks, I'd say you should proceed with a change request to the tools repo to add the new jar, and the changes required to the gwt project itself to support the new version.

Ahmad Bawaneh

Mar 1, 2018, 9:21:01 AM3/1/18
to GWT Contributors
This is perfect, i will do my best to deliver the PR this weekend

Ahmad Bawaneh

Mar 2, 2018, 6:38:56 AM3/2/18
to GWT Contributors
The PR for the cldr tools landed on the repository, following that will make a PR for gwt update.
https://github.com/gwtproject/tools/pull/13

Ahmad Bawaneh

Mar 10, 2018, 2:03:31 PM3/10/18
to GWT Contributors
The update for the latest CLDR data is now on gerrit for review
https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/20600

Ahmad Bawaneh

Oct 24, 2018, 9:05:12 AM10/24/18
to GWT Contributors
it looks like more cldr versions have been released since my last cldr update,  CLDR is now at version 34.
I have made two changes, updating the jar in the tools repo, and updating generated classes in gwt repo to make the new data available.
The gwt patch on gerrit is :

and the PR for the tools repo can be found here:

the github issue for this change can be found here

https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9557

for more information about CLDR please visit the cldr home page, you might also look into the release notes since gwt is upgrading from cldr version 25 which is an old release to the latest 34 cldr release
find the home page here

Additionally gwt uses a very old version of ICU (more about ICU here), so I have prepared a follow-up patch which will update gwt ICU4J version to 63.1 from the current 50.1.1
the git hub issue for this change is here

Ahmad Bawaneh

Nov 13, 2018, 1:34:11 PM11/13/18
to GWT Contributors
Hi

With the PR for the tools being already merged https://github.com/gwtproject/tools/pull/16

I am looking for review and approval on the gwt PR

Thanks.