Migrating and update gwt-user.jar modules to github.com/gwtproject

Colin Alworth

Jan 12, 2018, 4:58:32 PM1/12/18
to GWT Contributors
Hello contributors,
We've decided to change how we manage official gwt modules a bit, to allow modernization and faster updates to gwt-user while still supporting developers who need backward compatibility. We're now allowing creation of repositories at github.com/gwtproject by contributors who wish to help in this effort - send an email to the list to request creation of a project, and we'll make it happen. CLAs will not be required for these projects, and changes can be managed via GitHub pull requests.

Contributed code must follow a few guidelines - here is a brief (but not official or exhaustive) list:
* Support deployment to maven central, using org.gwtproject groupIds
* Use org.gwtproject package
* Projects to be created must be updated versions of existing modules already within the GWT project sources - we are not looking to adopt new projects at this time.

While the new project gets going, we will accept most pull requests for the contributor who has adopted that module, and will enable jenkins builds and SNAPSHOT releases for that project. Once it has reached a stable state, we will require a review from a trusted contributor for the existing code and for all future pull requests. Then, once it has been reviewed, we will start official releases to maven central.

Updated modules should try to remain backward compatible (except for package name) at least for the first release, then make appropriate use of "@Deprecated" when preparing for breaking changes. Anything already annotated with Deprecated can be removed, since users who are looking to move to this will have already checked their code for deprecation warnings. These practices will enable teams to switch to these new projects by replacing imports with com.google.gwt.modulename with org.gwtproject.modulename. More advice to come from the work we've done thus far.

Since this will only include existing modules that are already part of GWT, we already have a reference for what tests should look like, what they should cover, but of course contributors can also add more. Removing support for old browsers is reasonable as well, since teams who require legacy will have the versions still in gwt-user to fall back on.

As we make use of this new way of contributing to GWT, we'll make this process more official based on things we learn along the way.

Grzegorz Nowak

Apr 12, 2018, 12:47:43 PM4/12/18
to GWT Contributors
Hi

I saw that some people already started work on this. Is there a document / registry with information what is done by who to prevent 2+ people working on the same thing?

I guess a table with gwt module, and "WIP repo on github" / contributor name would be helpful.

Regards
Greg

Colin Alworth

Apr 12, 2018, 12:58:12 PM4/12/18
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b1D9fEqRh5lZ8cqMJtYoc_25rfTRvsuJkTtS2vjgi3o/edit#gid=0 is the list and status of various modules, though independently working on one isn't necessarily a bad thing (especially as most of the "easy" ones are off and going, and getting your feet wet in a "hard" one might be rather intimidating).

There is also lots of discussion at https://gitter.im/gwtproject/gwt if you have questions, you may get answers or advice there.

--
  Colin Alworth

Thomas Broyer

Jun 4, 2018, 8:52:38 AM6/4/18
to GWT Contributors
FYI, I just finished transferring ownership of all my modules to the gwtproject organization on GitHub; and published them all (HEAD-SNAPSHOT) to Sonatype OSSRH.

Ahmad Bawaneh

Jun 21, 2018, 8:11:39 AM6/21/18
to GWT Contributors
Hi
the gwt-timer module now is gwt3/j2cl ready i would like to move the module into gwtproject repository but i dont have permissions.
the module can be found here for your kind review and approval.

Thanks