Issue with google chart annotation

Ricky Costa

Oct 17, 2016, 7:50:34 AM10/17/16
to Google Visualization API
Hello,

I am working on some google charts. In one of those charts i am using a Bar Chart. I have negative and positive values, so i have bars to the right (positive) and bars to the left (negative), but i am having the ticks with negative values for the left bars. So i decided turn my positive values to negative, my negative values to positive and apply the direction: -1 to get the bars to the correct direction and without negative ticks. But i am getting an issue with one of my annotations...it appears in the incorrect position. Its visible in the image. Any idea what is going on and how to fix it? Or a better solution for what i am trying to do?

Thanks,

Best regards for you all.

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 17, 2016, 10:21:54 AM10/17/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Ricky,

It appears the annotation for the top bar is dropped down, erroneously, perhaps because the code thinks it is too close to the top.  Maybe arrange that there is more space on the top by using a vAxis.viewWindow.max of, say, 8000.

Ricky Costa

Oct 18, 2016, 3:59:33 AM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your answer.

If i apply my original values and don´t revert the direction, this issue don´t happen. So i don´t think that the problem its not enough space :/. Its weird because this only happens when i change the direction of the bars!

Regards,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Ricky Costa <rickyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am working on some google charts. In one of those charts i am using a Bar Chart. I have negative and positive values, so i have bars to the right (positive) and bars to the left (negative), but i am having the ticks with negative values for the left bars. So i decided turn my positive values to negative, my negative values to positive and apply the direction: -1 to get the bars to the correct direction and without negative ticks. But i am getting an issue with one of my annotations...it appears in the incorrect position. Its visible in the image. Any idea what is going on and how to fix it? Or a better solution for what i am trying to do?

Thanks,

Best regards for you all.

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 18, 2016, 10:38:18 AM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Ricky,

Check this example out that reproduces your problem:  https://jsfiddle.net/dlaliberte/wctwnro5/
Then uncomment the viewWindow line and you will see that it does work correctly.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 AM, Ricky Costa <rickyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ricky Costa

Oct 18, 2016, 11:09:32 AM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your example. Maybe i am not exposing corrrectly my issue, i am new with this, sorry! Basically my problem its with the ticks and i tried solve it with all this values conversion and direction thing. What i am trying to solve its the following:

I am using a animation during my charts draw. During that animation my ticks for the negative values are negatives..but i want them so be positive. Basically i want to have bars to the left and right (to negative and positive values) but with positive values for the ticks. Check my images please. The first image, to the left bars the ticks are negative during the animation. When the animation finish, the ticks get the values that i want (2nd image). I want always have the values like they are shown on second image, even during the animation.
Its that possible? Any idea i can i change this behavior?

Thank you very much for be trying to help!
Regards,

terça-feira, 18 de Outubro de 2016 às 15:38:18 UTC+1, Daniel LaLiberte escreveu:
[...]

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 18, 2016, 11:23:31 AM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
You can specify a set of tick values and how they will be displayed, if that is your concern.  e.g.

  hAxis: { ticks: [{v: -15000, f: '15,000'}, {v: -10000, f: '10,000'}, {v: -5000, f: '5,000'}, {v: 0, f: '0'}, {v: 5000, f: '5,000'}] }

It might be simpler if you could point me to your web page, or set up an example on jsfiddle.

Ricky Costa

Oct 19, 2016, 12:22:05 PM10/19/16
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

This works, but the problem is that my ticks are dynamic because my values changes every minute. I am getting the values from a ajax request to a server.
Doing this, my ticks will always have the same values and won´t match the values of the bars.

Any way of dong this dynamically? I can´t share directly the code because this project its not personal :(. I wish i could, would be much easier for you and for me.

Regards,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 19, 2016, 1:27:31 PM10/19/16
to Google Visualization API
You can get the range of data with getColumnRange() ( https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/reference#DataTable_getColumnRange )
and then compute the ticks you need from that.  You'll probably want to round up the range to the nearest multiple of 1, 2, or 5 times a power of 10.

We should offer a way to specify a tick formatting function, so you could simply use the absolute value of whatever ticks are computed based on your data.

Ricky Costa

Oct 20, 2016, 5:25:45 AM10/20/16
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your help! Gonna try that solution. I will let you know if i did it :).

Regards,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ricky Costa

Nov 27, 2016, 12:29:57 PM11/27/16
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

Sorry did not say nothing more about our topic, but i started working in another project and this one stayed in pause a little. I am now trying to fix that issue about the ticks. I had the idea of manipulate the values and after the direction of my hAxis. And its working! I dont have anymore my ticks with negative values while drawing the chart. But i have this issue that i show on the image. This happens when i set the direction: -1 on my hAxis.

Basically what i did was multiply by -1 my negative values, and the same with my positive values. After i changed the direction of my vAxis (direction: -1) ..and the issue happens. Already tried like you said before...set a max value for my axis...did not work. Any idea :( ?
Thank you for your help!
Regards

Daniel LaLiberte

Nov 28, 2016, 10:14:08 AM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API
Did you try adding a vAxis viewWindow.  In this case, since your vertical axis values are discrete, the viewWindow max value should be something like 8.1.  The first discrete value has a numeric value of 0 and you have 9 values, 0-8.  Here is an example using a variant of the previous example I posted: https://jsfiddle.net/dlaliberte/wctwnro5/5/

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Ricky Costa

Nov 28, 2016, 3:27:51 PM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

Worked! But now i have another issue :(. Sometimes my left bars (when the value is big), have the annotation above of the vertical ticks.
Any way of change the annotation to the other side of the bar?
In the image its not happening that, but its possible have an idea about what happens when the value is bigger. Any way of avoid this :( ?
Thank you very much for your help!!
Regards

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Ricky Costa

Nov 28, 2016, 3:28:53 PM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API

Ricky Costa

Nov 28, 2016, 3:38:52 PM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API
False alarm :(. Still having negative ticks...not working. I do not know what can i do more to fix this :(. Basically i am still having negative ticks while the chart is drawing...after it disappears! I need to have always positive ticks for my negative bars. Is that possible? I am start thinking that maybe its not possible do that :(. You can check that in the images...while drawing shows negative values...after drawing, shows the ticks to positive values like i want!

Daniel LaLiberte

Nov 28, 2016, 3:39:22 PM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API
Sorry, we don't have enough control options for specifying where annotations are placed.

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel LaLiberte

Nov 28, 2016, 3:40:44 PM11/28/16
to Google Visualization API
Are you specifying the ticks option?  This option only works with classic charts, not material charts.

Ricardo Costa

Nov 28, 2016, 5:08:53 PM11/28/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,

Already tried another way..and close of what i want!! But i am having the same issue with the annotations. Already set a max value for vAxis.viewWindow and nothing. I checked your example, but i dont want change the direction of my vAxis. Here is my code for the chart:

    private _drawExpensiveChart(expensiveData: ExpensiveData[]) {
        const queryData = expensiveData[0].values;
        const persistentData = expensiveData[1].values;

        const max = queryData.length + persistentData.length +1;
        const data = new google.visualization.DataTable();
        data.addColumn("string", "Name");
        data.addColumn("number", "Value");
        data.addColumn({ type: "string", role: "style" });
        data.addColumn({ type: "number", role: "annotation" });
        data.addColumn({ type: "string", role: "tooltip" });

        //NOTE: Positive bars
        for (let i = 0; i < queryData.length; i++)
            data.addRow([queryData[i].label, queryData[i].value * -1, "color: #4CAF50", queryData[i].value, `${queryData[i].label}\n Value: ${queryData[i].value.toString().replace(/\B(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))/g, ",")}`]);

        //NOTE: Negative bars
        for (let j = 0; j < persistentData.length; j++)
            data.addRow([persistentData[j].label, persistentData[j].value * -1, "color: #3F51B5", persistentData[j].value * -1, `${persistentData[j].label}\n Value: ${(persistentData[j].value * -1).toString().replace(/\B(?=(\d{3})+(?!\d))/g, ",")}`]);

        //NOTE: Chart options
        const options: google.visualization.BarChartOptions = {
            title: "Expensive",
            legend:
            {
                position: "none"
            },
            bar:
            {
                groupWidth: "90%"
            },
            animation:
            {
                startup: true,
                duration: 1000,
                easing: "linear"
            },
            tooltip: {
                textStyle:
                {
                    bold: false
                },
                trigger: "selection"
            },
            hAxis: {
                direction: -1
            },
            vAxis: {
                viewWindow: {
                    max: max
                },
                gridlines: {
                    count: -1
                }
            }
        };

        // Missing alwaysOutside on interface
        options.annotations = {};
        options.annotations["alwaysOutside"] = true;
        //NOTE: Get the div tag and draw the chart
        const chart = new google.visualization.BarChart(document.getElementById("expensiveChart"));
        chart.draw(data, options);
//Custom legends
        document.getElementById("legend").style.visibility = "visible";
    }

Right now, by chart is like the image :(. Sorry for being bothering you with this, but i am just trying to get same help from anyone that can help me!
Any idea :/?
Regards,

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Ricardo Costa
bars_issue.png

Daniel LaLiberte

Nov 29, 2016, 9:17:18 AM11/29/16
to Google Visualization API
If you are reversing the vertical axis direction, then you would need to expand the viewWindow min instead of the max.  Try viewWindow: { min: -0.1 }

Ricardo Costa

Ricardo Costa

Dec 5, 2016, 1:50:01 PM12/5/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,

Worked!! I just have the issue if the annotations being displayed above the vAxis labes when the bar is to big, but i avoided that setting "AlwaysOutSide" prop to false.
Thank you soooo much for your patience and help!!

Best regards,

Ricardo Costa