Google Charts V43 Release Candidate will be pushed: Monday, Oct 5, 2015

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 2, 2015, 2:28:37 PM10/2/15
to google-c...@googlegroups.com, Google Visualization API, google-char...@googlegroups.com
We are about to push a new Google Charts Release Candidate (RC) - V43. This the push is uneventful, it should be finished by the evening of Monday, Oct 5.

In the meantime, you can try it now via the Frozen Google Charts loader by loading '43'. See instructions at https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/library_loading_enhancements#frozen-versions

Candidate release date: Monday, Oct 5, 2015

Anticipated production release date: Oct 29, 2015

Summary of new features and bug fixes for v43:

  • All:

    • Charts now officially support Microsoft Edge

    • Several memory leaks are fixed.

  • Corecharts:

    • focusTarget can now be an array to specify multiple focus targets

    • Intervals can now be styled using the style role

    • Fixed issue with the ‘visible’ property for tooltip actions

    • HTML tooltip positioning now more closely matches SVG tooltip positioning

    • chartArea option now supports ‘right’ and ‘bottom.

    • Overlapping vertical axis ticks will be dropped.

    • The size of legend scrolling arrows is fixed.

    • Now supports annotations with orientation:'vertical' and axes direction: -1

    • Now supports variable-width in bar, column, and stepped area charts, when you set bars.variableWidth to true.

  • BubbleChart:

    • Default labels used for tooltips.

  • Sankey:

    • Better color handling

    • Link interactivity is now supported

  • Timeline:

    • ‘Duration’ label should now be localized

    • Now supports minValue and maxValue for the horizontal axis

  • GeoChart

    • When a null value is specified for a custom tooltip, the default tooltip will be constructed instead

    • You can now disable interactivity for markers

  • WordTree

    • Better color handling

    • Deprecated string color column, added support for style columns to replace it

  • Trendlines

    • Fixed a number of log scale and date related bugs

  • Table chart

    • pagingButtons option works in more combinations with page, pageSize and startPage options.

  • Material charts (Bar, Line, and Scatter, so far):

    • Fixed a number of bugs with redrawing charts and having multiple charts on a page.

  • AnnotationChart:

    • Date and time format for range selector is now the same as for the main chart.

--
dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 2, 2015, 2:34:07 PM10/2/15
to google-c...@googlegroups.com, Google Visualization API, google-char...@googlegroups.com
My mistake.  For the anticipated production release date, I meant to say Monday, Oct 26.
Message has been deleted

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 7, 2015, 9:16:19 AM10/7/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
The v43 release candidate (which would only affect you if you load 1.1) is not quite out, due to deployment problems, so that couldn't be a cause of the problem.  I'm not sure when this deployment will be finished, but perhaps as early as this afternoon.

The font-related problems people are suddenly having appears to be related to an update of the Web Font Loader software, though it is not clear how Google Charts is affected by that update.  We are still investigating.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Manchin Wong <in...@manchinwong.com> wrote:
Hi Daniel,

I've noticed in the last few days that google charts has developed an odd problem if custom fonts are used.
The charts have been tested previously on all the current browsers without issues but now, depending on which one there's either:-
  • No charts displaying apart from "line chart"
    (IE 11, IE 10, all versions of Safari on IOS and Mac, Firefox 39 PC)
  • Or no issues and all the charts display OK.
I've put together a fiddle to demo the problem (Open Sans is used):-

With the fonts the "line chart" is the only one which displays in all browsers.

Here's another without the fonts.

If I remove the font from each chart then the problem disappears in all browsers.
Is this a bug with the current google charts release?

Thanks
Manchin

dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 7, 2015, 10:10:27 AM10/7/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
I notice that your examples use window onload to determine when to draw the charts.  This is not good enough since the libraries are loaded asynchronously, and may not finish until sometime later.  So you should use setOnLoadCallback().

I changed your example to use the frozen loader with version 43, and to use google.charts.setOnLoadCallback().  See https://jsfiddle.net/o63qxtso/33/  I'm curious how well this works for you.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kevin Ross

Oct 7, 2015, 3:27:09 PM10/7/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
I ran into a strange issue today and wonder if it could be due to this deployment.  The GanttChart function would randomly switch from being named GanttChart to being named Gantt, such that if you ran the following code you could see google.visualization.GanttChart as a function and google.visualization.Gantt undefined, then refresh a few times and see the opposite.  This doesn't seem to be occurring any more, but I'd like to know if this is an actual issue or just a temporary glitch due to the deployment.  I would just run stable 1.0, but it unfortunately doesn't include the gantt package.

<head>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript">
    google.load('visualization', '1.1', {packages: ['gantt']});
    google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);
    function drawChart() {
      console.log('google.visualization',google.visualization);
      console.log('typeof google.visualization.GanttChart',typeof google.visualization.GanttChart);
      console.log('typeof google.visualization.Gantt',typeof google.visualization.Gantt);
    }
  </script>
</head>
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 7, 2015, 4:18:49 PM10/7/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

I'm not sure how that could be happening unless the deployment is partially successful, and then rolls back when it doesn't complete.

But you can switch to loading the frozen version 43 and it should reliably stay the same from now on, except for a few updates will will make to fix problems.  See the instructions at  https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/library_loading_enhancements#frozen-versions

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA
Message has been deleted

Henrik Aronsson

Oct 15, 2015, 2:34:55 AM10/15/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

As of this morning we got some errors (using 1.1).

I isolated the cause to the loading of the modules, and then more specifically to loading both 'Controls' and 'Table' in the same loading (error can be seen here).
Removing the load of 'table' fixes the problem, Fiddle.

I googled a bit and figured out that the error means that I tried to libraries multiple times. I believe I've been doing unneeded loads from the library ('control' and 'table') when just ('control') would have been enough.

Anyway just thought I'd inform you that I found this bug (or maybe correction?).
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 15, 2015, 8:12:30 AM10/15/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Henrik,

Thanks for your report.   Your two jsfiddle links appear to have identical scripts, and I don't see a problem when loading both controls and table.

It has been the case that the Table chart is available if you load almost anything, but the styles won't necessarily be correct unless you load the table package.

Unfortunately, v43 has not actually been rolled out as a candidate release (what you get when you load 1.1) as we had hoped.  We're not sure when we can resolve that problem.  Meanwhile, it is available via the frozen version loader.

When using the frozen version loader, there is currently a limitation that you have to load all the packages in one google.charts.load() call, but the good news is that this limitation will soon be eliminated.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Matthew Cosier

Oct 16, 2015, 1:40:24 AM10/16/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

We have a strange issue (when running v1.1) where if you're using a ColumnChart and you set the theme to 'material' and have multiple charts rendered on one page, it fails to render all but 1 column chart (in a seemingly random order - race condition?) on the page.

I have a workaround which loads all charts required on the page into a stack, then pop()'s them and renders them by chaining the pop() calls on the chart's ready event.  If you for instance call draw() after all charts have been created, individually, it works fine.  But if you call draw() in parallel on each chart, only one gets rendered in this case.

The issue you've listed for RC 43 - (Fixed a number of bugs with redrawing charts and having multiple charts on a page.) - Does this relate to the above issue or only specifically material 'Bar' ?

Thanks!
Matt
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 16, 2015, 8:06:15 AM10/16/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Since the release candidate for version 43 was never successfully pushed out, you are actually still running version 42.

The problem you and others are experiencing with multiple 'material' charts (any type) is avoided if you use version 43 with the frozen version loader.  See https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/library_loading_enhancements#frozen-versions

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Vamshik

Oct 26, 2015, 8:59:51 AM10/26/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

         Are you planning to deploy newer version today as planned?

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 26, 2015, 11:12:57 AM10/26/15
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Vamshik,

We were never successful in deploying v43 by the usual process, such that loading with google.load('visualization', 1, ...) would work.  But loading v43 via the frozen version loader is working. (see https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/library_loading_enhancements#frozen-versions )

Since the frozen version loader is working, and because this will be the preferred way to load Google Charts in the future, we are satisfied with forcing users to make the switch at this time to use the frozen version loader.    We probably will update the old loader one more time to redirect to the new loader, but we are not sure yet when that will happen.

There are still a couple limitations in how the frozen version loader can be used (such as only one google.chars.load() call allowed), but they are easy enough to work around.