Accessibility

Jonathan Greenberg

Sep 19, 2016, 12:49:47 PM9/19/16
to Google Visualization API
Is there still an accessibility feature with google charts and does it work with material charts? I cannot seem to find any documentation about it.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 19, 2016, 1:06:00 PM9/19/16
to Google Visualization API
The material chart features have not been enhanced much, but we do support the language setting when you load charts, and the right-to-left (rtl) option can be enabled at least for some charts.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM, 'Jonathan Greenberg' via Google Visualization API <google-visua...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is there still an accessibility feature with google charts and does it work with material charts? I cannot seem to find any documentation about it.

Jonathan Greenberg

Sep 19, 2016, 1:44:55 PM9/19/16
to Google Visualization API
What I am really wondering is if it is possible to get the hidden tabular representation of data when using for example a material line chart.

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 1:06:00 PM UTC-4, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
The material chart features have not been enhanced much, but we do support the language setting when you load charts, and the right-to-left (rtl) option can be enabled at least for some charts.
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:48 PM, 'Jonathan Greenberg' via Google Visualization API <google-visua...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Is there still an accessibility feature with google charts and does it work with material charts? I cannot seem to find any documentation about it.

Daniel LaLiberte

Jonathan Greenberg

Sep 19, 2016, 4:43:02 PM9/19/16
to Google Visualization API
Well I should be honest and my interest is not so noble. We had some feature specs that relied on those hidden tables for verifying data but lost that ability when we switched to the material charts. It does seem like a valuable feature though for those that need accessibility but that I suppose that is for you to weigh with all the other priority classic features that have not yet been integrated with the material charts.

Thanks for confirming though that this option is just not available and I would be curious if it did get added in the future.

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 2:06:21 PM UTC-4, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Greenberg

Sep 19, 2016, 7:59:56 PM9/19/16
to Google Visualization API
I am curious though if it possible to use a 'material' theme with the classic line core chart and if so how similar should it look to the new one?

Daniel LaLiberte

Christopher Sheldon

Mar 28, 2017, 10:28:39 AM3/28/17
to Google Visualization API
As of March 28, 2017 I see no ability to apply anything but colour to bars or pie slices which then starts to run into a problem with the WCAG 1.4.1 Use of Color guideline.  You cannot use colour alone to convey information and they have no method for you to apply a pattern or texture to actually support users with colour blindness.

The strange thing is the line graph does have options to allow you to control the appearance of the line (dots, dashes, more than just colour).  So using the other graphs (unless I'm totally missing something that isn't in the docs or shown anywhere) you basically fail 1.4.1 (Level A) because these charts are an issue for people with colour blindness (one who happens to be my boss in our provincial government so this won't fly).

And for people who will say "But you could...".  Yes we also have a data table of the data which is read back for screen readers.  But it is a bad solution to force sighted users to scan through a data table because the visual was too lazy to follow basic accessibility guidelines and provide options other than colour alone.