Google Charts V45 Production Release will be pushed April 26, 2016

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 26, 2016, 1:10:32 PM4/26/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com

We are about to push a new Google Charts Production Release - V45.

Previously we announced the Release Candidate on April 7 here:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-chart-api/eMOR1jsS6No

The production release was delayed until now because we were trying to work around a problem, but we were unsuccessful.  However, it turns out this problem (which was displaying more than one Material chart in the same page) also existed in the previous release (v42) so this new release will not be any worse than that.  If you need this fixed, please try frozen v43 or v44.

The purpose of this push is to update the old jsapi-loaded library with a version that is close to the previously released v44.  We are doing this primarily to incorporate some security fixes that are already part of v44 into the jsapi loaded release, and as such, there are very few additional bug fixes and these are unlikely to be visible to people.

The last time we were successful updating the old jsapi loaded library was for v42.  So if you are still using that version of the code, you should look at the release notes for v43 (https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/release_notes#october-2-2015) and v44 (https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/release_notes#february-23-2016) to see what has changed.

There are still many pages out on the web using the old jsapi loader, and these will be affected by this update.  Recall that the library was loaded like this:

   google.load('visualization', '1' (or '1.0' or '1.1), { packages: [...] });

If your pages load the library this way, you will be affected by this production release

If you have problems with this production release, you may want to switch to loading the frozen v42, so your code will look like this:

We recommend switching to the 'current' version instead of '42' using the new loader if you can, so you will see future updates.

We will update the frozen version v45 soon to match this production release.

Cory Nichol

May 9, 2016, 3:31:41 PM5/9/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com

I noticed that the color fill on the area charts was changed on 100% stacked area charts.
Even the samples on the web have been affected,

The colors used to be identical to the non-100% stacked area. Now they are all brown.
Probably due to the mixing of the colors.

Cory

Daniel LaLiberte

May 9, 2016, 4:39:52 PM5/9/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
The production release finally went out last week, and now we have pushed out frozen version 45 on the gstatic server.

FYI, there was a delay pushing the production release out because we were trying (and failing) to fix a problem with the webfontloader which, it turns out, is no worse than for the previous production release which was version 42.

Daniel LaLiberte

May 9, 2016, 4:40:31 PM5/9/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cory.  This is a rather serious bug that I wish we had caught earlier.   It affects version 45, the production release on the jsapi server, but I am not going to roll that back now since it includes security fixes that we need.  This bug doesn't affect the gstatic 'current' version yet, and I will fix it before making v45 the 'current' version.

The docs for that particular example are actually using the jsapi server, so I'll fix that as well to use the gstatic server.

Lily Chang

May 23, 2016, 10:36:21 PM5/23/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi, Daniel.

I just realized one trivial change in my Table charts - the number format was set to using thousand separator by default. https://jsfiddle.net/e0b7j59p/

Do you know since which version it was effective? Thank you!

Best,
Lily

Daniel LaLiberte

May 24, 2016, 11:12:18 AM5/24/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Lily,

In your jsfiddle, you can change 'current' to '41', '42', etc.  It appears this change in the default formatting was made in version '43'.

Lily Chang

May 24, 2016, 8:27:25 PM5/24/16
to Google Visualization API
Thank you, Daniel. V43 was released in October 2015. But somehow I only noticed this change recently. :) -Lily

Patrick Walker

Jun 1, 2016, 4:30:54 PM6/1/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
So has V45 "officially" been released? When does it go to current? I don't see it at the below link. Also,we use the old loader (google.load("visualization",1,...etc). When this new version goes to "current" how will this affect those loading the old way? Part of the reason we haven't switched to the new loader is that it seems to load a little slower. Thanks

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 1, 2016, 4:57:03 PM6/1/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

V45 was actually rolled out, which I mentioned in my May 9 comment.  This was only a release on the old jsapi server.    You are correct that we neglected to add to the release notes, but I was waiting until I could finish rolling out to the new gstatic server.  But now that has been deferred a bit, because of the following.

Since that rollout, one serious bug came up on May 9, and another became apparent at the end of May.  Since I have fixes for those bugs, I will update V45 before proceeding with the gstatic update.

Any changes we make to the gstatic server do not affect anything on the jsapi server, at least not yet.  We plan to eventually redirect all requests on the jsapi server over to the gstatic server, once we have finished implementing all the loader features.  There will be a big announcement when that happens.

The new gstatic loader is slightly slower because of the sequential loading that is imposed.  We were being overly cautious, however, and we should be able to speed that up at some point.

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 6, 2016, 2:45:26 PM6/6/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
V45 is now available on the gstatic server by loading either "upcoming" or "45" with google.charts.load().   If you are using the old jsapi loader, you should try using the new loader by switching your code to the following:

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
  google.charts.load('upcoming', {packages: ['corechart']});
  google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);
</script>
Please try this "upcoming" version since it will become "current" when I throw the switch, which I anticipate doing on June 13.
If you notice problems with this version, please report it on this list.  Depending on the severity and whether we decide to fix it, you may want to switch to a frozen version.  The current version now is '44'.
This release includes fixes for the previously noted bugs, and one significant improvement.  Now you CAN call google.charts.load() multiple times to load additional packages, and the ChartWrapper can dynamically load packages for you depending on the type of chart.

jsta...@energyedge.com.au

Jun 20, 2016, 8:46:38 PM6/20/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I wondering if there was a public page for the upcoming release notes.
I have not been able to locate the changes.

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 20, 2016, 11:02:58 PM6/20/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
This is mostly a security related fix, and as such, you shouldn't see any changes for the most part.  The end-of-the-month bug was actually caused by one of those fixes, but we should have a fix for that bug out before the end of this month.

As I mentioned in the email, the one visible change is also not so visible.  You should be able to call google.charts.load() more than one time now, whereas before, you could only call it one time.

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 27, 2016, 8:04:08 PM6/27/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
An update for v45 on the old jsapi server should show up in an hour or two, hopefully.  This is a candidate release for a couple days, and then it will go to production on Wednesday or Thursday.

This update only affects the code loaded via the jsapi loader, not the gstatic loader.   If you use google.load('visualization', "1.1", ...), you should see these changes, once the update is pushed out.

I hadn't put together a list of features and changes previously, mostly because it was several small fixes.  But some of these changes caused problems which I hope this update will fix.

Summary of changes for v45:

  • Corecharts

    • Fixed ‘certainty’ role so it works correctly with custom styles.

    • Make accessibility table hide properly in rtl containers.

    • Fix startup animation when used with ChartWrapper.

    • Fix animation of discrete values that swap places.

    • Construct Dates regardless what day of the month it is.

    • Fix relative stacked area chart colors.

    • Fix ColumnChart with log scale and 0 or negative values.

  • PieChart

    • Fix inconsistent implementation of reverseCategories option.

  • Calendar

    • Uses more than two colors from the colorAxis.colors array option when colorAxis.values is unspecified. The behavior should be more like the GeoChart, where the inflection points are spread evenly through the gradient.

  • Material Charts

    • Fixed convertOptions for Material charts to use the background color correctly.

Octopus

Aug 1, 2016, 1:31:43 PM8/1/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
Thanks a lot for these changes. However I have a strange bug.
I used V45 for a GeoChart and a BarChart for the last month, and it worked all fine. However, since a week or perhaps two, both the GeoChart and Bar Chart do not load anymore on my production site. I did not touch the code when this bug occurred...
After several debugging hours where I looked at various possibilities except changing the API version, I finally got the culprit. To make it work I had to downgrade to V44 for the GeoChart but to have the BarChart also work I had to downgrade one step further to V43.

Here is how I use the API's now (V was 45, now it is 43)

google.charts.load('43', { 'packages': ['corechart'] });
google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawCharts);

I said to myself that maybe you changed something to the API V45 version during the last weeks? If not, why did my website worked until 2 weeks ago where I did not change anything to it. I am aware that answering the second question is tricky, but hopefully you can give me some guidance.
I am now on V43, and not too happy with it because you mentioned a security issue, could you detail a bit on that?
Thanks

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 1, 2016, 1:46:50 PM8/1/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karim,

Sorry about messing up the v45 release on the gstatic server.  Unfortunately, I did an update (and check-in) late last week that turned out to be very flawed, but even more unfortunately, it is also impossible to undo since I don't have the previous version that was also broken, but in a different way.  Both check-ins had to be rolled back due to another otherwise invisible complication, but that left me with no code that works.   Fortunately, very few people appear to have been affected, but sadly, that means that very few people are testing the upcoming version (v45 at this time).

So I am moving forward. I am setting up more thorough automated testing now, and learning about some previously unknown bugs.  I should be able to push out a working version of v45, either today or tomorrow.

Octopus

Aug 2, 2016, 4:21:26 AM8/2/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
Thanks, it reassures me a bit as I was turning in circles for a while. Here is some info if it helps:

1) V44 does not work anymore on the barchart, as mentioned in my post. It shows an error

Calculated column must have a "type" property.×
I know from GitHub that this is a known bug, though.
2) V45 works on a local file (a single html), but it bugs on an ASP.NET web app running on IIS (locally or remotely).
Hopefully this will help a bit, I am looking forward to your changes and let me know if you need some testing.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 2, 2016, 8:42:41 AM8/2/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
The message about calculated columns needing a 'type' property is true regardless.  We fixed a bug in v44 that allowed the 'type' property to be missing, and now things that depended on the bug are still being exposed.  The startup animation feature is one of those things.  A coupld of these exposed bugs were fixed in v45, but we still have more to fix in that area.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 9, 2016, 12:22:39 PM8/9/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Version 45 on the gstatic server should now be working reliably with multiple google.charts.load() calls.  This includes support for ChartWrapper calls that dynamically load the appropriate package for your type of chart.

Please test this new version, by loading '45' or 'upcoming' and let us know if you find any problems.

Octopus

Aug 13, 2016, 5:32:40 PM8/13/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
It works now with V45 on ASP.Net Core on a production site, thanks a lot.
I only get a Google Maps API error: MissingKeyMapError, so this leads me to a small question: I am not using Google Maps, but google chart and GeoMap; is a key required for those or is it a temporary bug that I am receiving this error (the page loads, though).
Thanks
To post to this group, send email to google-visua...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 12, 2016, 2:33:09 PM9/12/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
After many delays, and further work on security issues, I have finally deployed v45 on the gstatic server.   This means that when you call google.charts.load('current', ...) you will get v45.  If you want to continue using the previous version, you can change 'current' to '44'.

There were a few changes more recently that were unannounced because they should be mostly invisible, but one change in particular will be very visible for anyone still using the old AnnotatedTimeline chart.

Here are the release notes for this version (also available at https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/release_notes#upcoming)

  • Loader changes:
    • Support multiple calls of google.charts.load
    • ChartWrapper instances can be called with a dynamically loaded chartType.
    • The GeoChart and Map chart no longer require you to include the jsapi loader. There is a new mapsApiKeyloader setting to let you specify your own key, rather than get the default behavior which may result in occassional throttling of service.
  • Flash-based charts:
    • For GeoMap and MotionChart, the swfobject.js has been updated to use the latest version 2.2. There should be no visible changes in chart features due to this update.
    • For AnnotatedTimeline, we are now replacing it with the Annotation Chart, which has been under development for a couple years, and appears stable. Almost all the features of the AnnotatedTimeline should apply to the AnnotationChart with no changes required in your code, although the look and feel is different. The AnnotationChart uses no flash code, and is built on top of the Corecharts, ChartRangeFilter, and Table chart.
  • Corecharts:
    • Fixed certainty role so it works correctly with custom styles.
    • Make accessibility table hide properly in rtl containers.
    • Fix startup animation when used with ChartWrapper.
    • Fix animation of discrete values that swap places.
    • Construct Dates regardless what day of the month it is.
    • Fix relative stacked area chart colors.
    • Fix ColumnChart with log scale and 0 or negative values.
  • PieChart: Fix inconsistent implementation of reverseCategories option.
  • Calendar: Now uses more than two colors from the colorAxis.colors array option when colorAxis.values is unspecified. The behavior should be more like what happens in the GeoChart, where the inflection points are spread evenly throughout the gradient.
  • Material Charts: Fixed convertOptions for Material charts to use the background color correctly.
  • Map Charts now decouple the marker title text from the info window:
    • Added new option 'showInfoWindow' to specifically control the info window.
    • Added new option 'showTooltip' to specifically control the marker title text.
    • Both options inherit from 'showTip' when not set.
    • Bug fix: when clicking on a selected point, the info window will now go away.

Jack Scammell

Sep 13, 2016, 9:49:58 AM9/13/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Been testing the google chart API in work with our production websites and the charts are no longer displaying in IE9 after v45 but are working on Chrome. I was just wondering if you are stopping support for the older browsers?
The code still works with v44 so I'm not too worried.
Thanks

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 13, 2016, 9:57:15 AM9/13/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

IE9 has become much more difficult to do any tests on, and so we have given it much less attention since Microsoft also stopped supporting it.  We certainly haven't tried to break support for it, and if something stops working, we'd at least like to know why, and maybe we can fix it if it is easy enough.  So if you can provide more specifics about what broke, let us know.

Edgar Barbosa

Sep 13, 2016, 10:33:29 AM9/13/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
It seems V45 breaks the filter buttons created by the 'controls' package on dashboards.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 13, 2016, 11:09:35 AM9/13/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for posting about this.  Something is still broken in the deployment process which results in styles being broken.  It should be fixed within an hour.

Michał Karolik

Sep 22, 2016, 8:36:43 AM9/22/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
hi, I started to get 404 status on:

https://www.gstatic.com/charts/current/css/util/util.css

it makes all charts disappear : /

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 22, 2016, 8:54:53 AM9/22/16
to Google Visualization API, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
There should be no link to https://www.gstatic.com/charts/current/css/util/util.css created by loading Google Charts.  I would guess you are using this URL by some independent means, rather than what the loader at http://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js does for you.   If this is not true, I would like to know how it is happening, so it would help to have a link to your page.

There was a time that such a URL (with 'current' in the path) would be redirected to whatever the current version was, but that was almost a year ago.  We stopped supporting that when we learned about the complications of browser caches of redirects.  I don't know why it would have continued to work for you so long after that mechanism was turned off.