Is it possible to customize the tooltip when focusTarget=category ?

Suzanne Paley

Oct 17, 2016, 6:09:56 PM10/17/16
to Google Visualization API
I'm using ColumnCharts.  When focusTarget is set to category, the ensuing tooltip lists the x-axis text and then the tooltip values for each individual bar.  Is it possible to customize this text to omit the individual bar tooltip strings and just supply a string that is the tooltip for the entire category?

Also, the tooltip seems to be coming up in a position that partially obscures the data I'm hovering over -- is there a way to control or prevent that?

Thanks,
Suzanne

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 18, 2016, 11:00:21 AM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Suzanne,

We support customization of tooltips for individual data items, but not for the category display, unfortunately.

We don't have support for manually controlling the positioning of the tooltip as you would like.  Automatic positioning should be sensitive to what the tooltip is covering, but this is a complex problem.  Perhaps the HTML tooltips would help you though, since you could use HTML positioning with the generated HTML elements.

Suzanne Paley

Oct 18, 2016, 2:56:15 PM10/18/16

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 8:00:21 AM UTC-7, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
Hi Suzanne,

We support customization of tooltips for individual data items, but not for the category display, unfortunately.

Thanks Daniel, but then it becomes even more urgent to fix the bug I previously reported where tooltips are not showing up over intervals.  I'm currently using the category display because, given my large intervals, it's the only way I can get any tooltips at all.

Suzanne

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 18, 2016, 3:31:37 PM10/18/16
to Google Visualization API
Actually, I was wrong about the customization of tooltips for the category.  You can customize it by adding a tooltip column after the domain column, which will only be used if you also specify focusTarget: 'category'.  Hope that helps.