Depreciation of the Current Version

vahanya...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2015, 11:09:58 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Hello,

I want to use Google Charts for a commercial project. I am interested if the current version is going to be depreciated any time soon. I read this link: https://developers.google.com/chart/terms?csw=1#deprecation-policy but couldn't figure out what "After April 20, 2015, this Deprecation Policy will not apply." means.

Thanks in advance,
Khazhak Vahanyan

Jon Orwant

Sep 22, 2015, 11:11:51 AM9/22/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
There are two distinct products: Google Charts (dynamic, interactive charts; what this forum is about) and Google Image Charts (static charts where you pack your data into a URL and get a PNG in return).

Google Charts is not deprecated. It's used by a lot of Google services, external usage is strong, and we're releasing a new version every two months or so with improvements. No plans to deprecate.
Google Image Charts is deprecated as of April 20, 2015, which means that we reserve the right to turn it off without notice. At this point we have no plans to do so.

Jon

Claus Andersen

May 27, 2016, 4:00:07 AM5/27/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Jon

So the Google charts are active and there is currently no plans to deprecate them as I understand.

But what is the deprecation policy? I understand that Google is using this internally and there is no current plans to deprecate, but nonetheless I would like to hear that Google guarantee to supply the service for at least 3 years into the future. We are going to put considerably efforts into implementing charting functionality if you get my drift ;-).

What does this mean: 'Google will announce if it intends to discontinue or make backwards incompatible changes to this API or Service.' So basically Google can deprecate the whole thing after making an annoncemen? Am I right in this understanding?

Br Claus

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM, <vahanya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I want to use Google Charts for a commercial project. I am interested if the current version is going to be depreciated any time soon. I read this link: https://developers.google.com/chart/terms?csw=1#deprecation-policy but couldn't figure out what "After April 20, 2015, this Deprecation Policy will not apply." means.

Thanks in advance,
Khazhak Vahanyan

Jon Orwant

May 27, 2016, 10:04:39 AM5/27/16
On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 4:00 AM, Claus Andersen <cander...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jon

So the Google charts are active and there is currently no plans to deprecate them as I understand.

But what is the deprecation policy? I understand that Google is using this internally and there is no current plans to deprecate, but nonetheless I would like to hear that Google guarantee to supply the service for at least 3 years into the future. We are going to put considerably efforts into implementing charting functionality if you get my drift ;-).

What does this mean: 'Google will announce if it intends to discontinue or make backwards incompatible changes to this API or Service.' So basically Google can deprecate the whole thing after making an annoncemen? Am I right in this understanding?

Because Google Charts is a library (as opposed to a service handling live traffic), it takes very little effort or resources on our part to keep it available, and so I expect it to stay available for years to come. However, that is not a guarantee.

I realize you want a guarantee, but I can't give one. All I can do is be as transparent as possible about what the future might bring.

Jon