Why Can't we color in Palestine (West Bank and Gaza) - recognized as a non-member observer state at the UN?

Mahsa

Apr 8, 2016, 11:02:38 PM4/8/16
to Google Visualization API
The UN refers to Palestine as a state - see this UN article for instance: http://www.un.org/press/en/2015/ga11676.doc.htm - so why is Google not allowing people using this API to color in Palestine?
Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 11.02.19 PM.png

Mahsa

Apr 8, 2016, 11:05:32 PM4/8/16
to Google Visualization API
It's also part of official UN stats.
Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 11.04.28 PM.png

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 11, 2016, 6:54:36 AM4/11/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Mahsa,

Google Charts gets its map data from Google Maps, so the data should be updated eventually to match the agreed upon standards. The problem could just be in the name, however.  Does it recognize just "Palestine" or require "State of Palestine".  I don't know any more than that at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Mahsa Hedayati

Apr 11, 2016, 1:23:46 PM4/11/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,
It seems that Google does not even recognize the very existence of land there. It does not need to say State of Palestine - "Palestine" is enough. These are the issues.
See attachment #1- it only shows some awkward grey triangle for West Bank and nothing for Gaza.
In line with international standards, it should show the borders in attachment #2.
Do you work at Google? Can you please escalate this? Or shall I find another way to bring attention to this within Google?
Best,
Mahsa

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 10.07.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 12.13.30 PM.png

Jon Orwant

Apr 11, 2016, 2:21:59 PM4/11/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Mahsa,

You can bring Google Maps problems to the team's attention here:

Jon

Mahsa Hedayati

Apr 11, 2016, 3:17:53 PM4/11/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com