Introducing Frozen Google Charts

Daniel LaLiberte

Jul 28, 2015, 8:11:12 AM7/28/15
to Google Visualization API
Introducing Frozen Google Charts

When we push out new releases of Google Charts, some of the changes are big, like entirely new chart types, but other changes are small, like enhancements to the appearance or behavior of existing charts.

Many Google Chart creators fine-tune the look and feel of their charts until it's exactly what they want. Some of those users might feel more comfortable knowing that their charts will never change, regardless of what improvements we make in the future.  For those users, we're proud to announce Frozen Google Charts.

To load a frozen version, you must make some small changes in how you load the Google Charts packages.  For example, here is the usual way of loading the stable version and drawing a chart:

<script type="text/javascript"

src="https://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

   google.load('visualization', '1', {packages: ['corechart']});

   google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);

</script>

You'll need to change your code to be like this (changes highlighted in bold):

<script type="text/javascript"

            src="https://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

   google.charts.load('41', {packages: ['corechart']});

   google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);

</script>

Note that when you call google.charts.load(), you should not include the ‘visualization’ parameter, and the version number is a string.  Only version ‘41’ is supported at this time, which corresponds to the current stable release, and additional frozen versions will be announced as we push out each new stable release.  More details about using the frozen version loader will be available here.

When you use a frozen version of Google Charts, all charts and features should work the same as for the stable version it was created from.  But there are two minor, though important, limitations with loading frozen versions, which we expect to resolve in the near future.
  1. You can only call google.charts.load() one time.  You can instead list all the packages that you'll need in one call, so there is usually no need to make separate calls.
  2. If you are using a ChartWrapper, you must explicitly load all the packages you'll need rather than relying on the ChartWrapper to automatically load them for you.
We expect that frozen versions will remain available indefinitely, though we may retire frozen versions that have security concerns.  We will typically not provide support for frozen versions, except to suggest upgrading to newer versions.

Even if you don't plan to use the frozen version 41, it would help us if you could try it now with your charts and please let us know if you experience any problems.

--
dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Lokesh Setia

Aug 18, 2015, 7:43:35 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

I see the following error on loading frozen charts over https:

Mixed Content: The page at <url> was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure stylesheet 'http://www.gstatic.com/charts/41/css/util/util.css'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

Seems like loader.js is linking to the http version of this file directly: http://www.gstatic.com/charts/41/css/util/util.css

Let me know how this can be resolved.

thanks,
Lokesh
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel Buttery

Aug 18, 2015, 8:10:20 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel.

I've seen a number of posters both here and in GitHub experiencing issues this morning related to version '1' being referenced. Changing this to '1.0' has been a fix.

However I've had both a reply to your previous thread and a new thread aimed at helping with this issues deleted. Could you at least please post a sticky regarding '1' v '1.0'? As it stands if people follow the sample code on the Google Charts site, they will reference v1 and have issues.

Cheers,

Dan

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 18, 2015, 9:19:14 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Changing "1" to "1.0" will only be a "fix" until we push 1.1 to 1.0 this coming Monday.  This is what we have always done when a candidate release becomes the next production release.

I see a couple of your messages are being held up as potential spam.  Not sure why that would be.  I'll approve.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 18, 2015, 9:22:17 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Thanks for your report, Lokesh.  We should have a fix for this in about an hour.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Jace Grantham

Aug 18, 2015, 11:15:30 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Hey Daniel,

Getting this error loading on https. Trying to use the static version of the DataTable.

Mixed Content: The page at <url> was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://www.gstatic.com/charts/41/js/jsapi_compiled_datatable_module.js'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

Thanks and best,
Jace
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 18, 2015, 11:24:31 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Jace,

Try again. It might work for you now that I have fixed it and the cache of the old version has timed out.

dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Jace Grantham

Aug 18, 2015, 11:33:09 AM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Working great now. Thanks for the quick response and fix Daniel! Much appreciated.

Best,

Jace
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Lokesh Setia

Aug 18, 2015, 2:28:42 PM8/18/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel, you rock!

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 18, 2015, 2:37:37 PM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
We just discovered a problem with the frozen version 41 involving css for a few features, including Table charts, if you have paging, and dashboard controls.  The styles will generally be wrong or missing entirely.

We should have a fix for this within a day.

Patrick Beaudan

Aug 18, 2015, 10:02:14 PM8/18/15
to Google Visualization API
Does the  google.charts.load('41', {packages: ['corechart']}); work for all packages? It seems to not work for me for a gauge chart for instance code below:

google.load("visualization", "1.0", {packages:["gauge"]}); google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart); function drawChart() { $.ajax({ url: "charts/chart_handler.php?chart=risk_return_gauge", dataType:"json", success: function (jsonData) { var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData); // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server. var options = { width: 150, height: 150, yellowFrom: 75, yellowTo: 100, greenFrom: 25, greenTo: 75, minorTicks: 5 }; var chart = new google.visualization.Gauge(document.getElementById('chart_riskReturnGauge_small')); chart.draw(data, options); } }); }

dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel Buttery

Aug 19, 2015, 7:20:51 AM8/19/15
to Google Visualization API
This isn't tested but from what I understand you would need to modify your code as below:

On Wednesday, 19 August 2015 03:02:14 UTC+1, Patrick Beaudan wrote:
Does the  google.charts.load('41', {packages: ['corechart']}); work for all packages? It seems to not work for me for a gauge chart for instance code below:

google.charts.load("41", {packages:["corechart, gauge"]}); google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart); function drawChart() { $.ajax({ url: "charts/chart_handler.php?chart=risk_return_gauge", dataType:"json", success: function (jsonData) { var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData); // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server. var options = { width: 150, height: 150, yellowFrom: 75, yellowTo: 100, greenFrom: 25, greenTo: 75, minorTicks: 5 }; var chart = new google.visualization.Gauge(document.getElementById('chart_riskReturnGauge_small')); chart.draw(data, options); } }); }

Patrick Beaudan

Aug 19, 2015, 10:44:26 AM8/19/15
to Google Visualization API
Thanks very much Daniel. I tire that and other variations on that theme, but can't make it work in one instance on our site (home page at www.beladv.com should have this gauge, but it does not come up.

Strangely I use the same function  to create this gauge on other pages of my site, and the gauge comes up fine.

I have similar issues with some line charts. The same line chart functions work on parts of the site, but no longer work on other parts. If anyone else is having similar issues I'd appreciate a pointer. I'll research this more and post a fix when I find what the problem was.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 19, 2015, 11:55:47 AM8/19/15
to Google Visualization API
Patrick,

In the JavaScript console, I see you are getting the error message: "Uncaught Error: google.charts.load() cannot be called more than once."

As it says, the current implementation of google.charts.load() can't be called more than one time in a page, so you'll have to arrange that all packages you'll need are loaded in the one call, and then don't call it again.  We'll fix that in a future version, but for now, it is a limitation you'll have to live with.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Patrick Beaudan

Aug 19, 2015, 12:27:40 PM8/19/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, thanks very much for taking a look. What would be the way to call all at once for bar charts, bubble charts, line charts? Can I have a call to the frozen library and the current library on the same page (that seems to work but only partially)?

All seems to work as before on some pages (for instance see http://www.beladv.com/strategySummary.php?strategy=AllWeatherUltra_BA), where the charts are called using the following script on the page:

 <script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
 <script type="text/javascript" src="charts/portfolioAnalyzer/call_rollingQuarterly.php"></script>
 <script type="text/javascript" src="charts/portfolioAnalyzer/call_quarterlyZscore.php"></script>

etc ...
But on some other pages I'm getting "draw()" errors and tried to incorporate your frozen version with only partial success like so on our homepage (www.beladv.com)

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js"></script>   <!-- Google charts: Load AJAX API  -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>   <!-- Google charts: Load AJAX API  -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/script.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="charts/homePage/call_subAssetAlloc.php"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="charts/homePage/call_NAVgrowth.php"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="charts/homePage/call_riskReturnGauge_small.php"></script> <!-- map of drawdowns vs returns -->

To generate the charts we call individual functions for each chart, and each function has a call to load, for instance for the last in the list above the function is:

google.charts.load("41", {packages:["gauge"]});
google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);
// google.load("visualization", "1.0", {packages:["gauge"]});
// google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);

function drawChart() {
    $.ajax({
        url: "charts/chart_handler.php?chart=risk_return_gauge",
        dataType:"json",
        success: function (jsonData) {
   //        var data = new google.visualization.arrayToDataTable(jsonData);   // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server.
           var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData);   // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server.
            var options = {
                width: 150, height: 150,
                yellowFrom: 75, yellowTo: 100,
                greenFrom: 25, greenTo: 75,
                minorTicks: 5
            };

            var chart = new google.visualization.Gauge(document.getElementById('chart_riskReturnGauge_small'));
            chart.draw(data, options);
        }
    });
}

while for the chart above that (call_NAVgrowth) the function (which still works) is:

google.load('visualization', '1.0', {'packages':['corechart']});     // Load the Visualization API and the piechart package.
google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);     // Set a callback to run when the Google Visualization API is loaded.

// Callback that creates and populates a data table, instantiates the chart, passes in the data and draws it.
function drawChart() {
    var jsonData = $.ajax({
        url: "charts/chart_handler.php?chart=chart_NAVgrowth",
        dataType:"json",
        success: function (jsonData) {
            var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData);  // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server.

            var options = {
                'lineWidth': 1,
                'legend': {position: 'top'},
                'backgroundColor':'#f8f8ea', // same color as background box
                'width':850,
                'height':200,
                'hAxis': {textStyle: {fontSize:10, color:'black', bold:'true'}, viewWindowMode: 'maximized', gridlines: {count:-1} },
                'vAxis': {textStyle: {fontSize:10, color:'black'}, logScale: 'true', gridlines: {count:-1} },
                'fontName':'Trebuchet MS'
            };

            var chart = new google.visualization.LineChart(document.getElementById('chart_NAVgrowth'));  // Instantiate chart
            chart.draw(data, options);   // draw chart, passing in some options.
        }
    });
}

Any idea based on these why the current google chart version would not work? We'd rather change the charts to keep current than use frozen versions.  However if easy to use the frozen library, how would we change the call to load corechart, Gauges etc all at once?

Finally in your chart library, the calls to data tables seem to all be something like
var data = new google.visualization.arrayToDataTable(jsonData);

while they used to be simply
var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData);

Any reason to use .arrayToDataTable versus .DataTable  in these examples?

Thanks very much for your help!

Best Regards,
Patrick Beaudan

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 19, 2015, 12:36:09 PM8/19/15
to Google Visualization API
Patrick,

Mixing google.load() and google.charts.load() in the same page is bound to cause problems.  I wouldn't recommend even trying it.

The packages property is an array, so just list all the packages you need.  e.g. packages: ['corechart', 'gauge'].

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 19, 2015, 1:19:33 PM8/19/15
to Google Visualization API
I should qualify that a bit.  Mixing google.load('visualization', ...) and google.charts.load() on the same page will cause problems because they are both trying to load code into the same symbols, google.visualization and google.charts.  However, you could reasonably load (with google.load()) other libraries other than 'visualization'.

Patrick Beaudan

Aug 19, 2015, 1:25:00 PM8/19/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, thanks very much for your attention. It now all works, with the current chart library. What I did is put in the call to multiple chart types in each of my javascript functions calling the charts eg below. This way the first of these functions on each page calls all the necessary packages that become available to all other function calls. The reason that my charts were working on some pages and not on others seemed to have been the order in which "gauge" and 'corechart" where called. If gauge was called first, I got the gauges but no line or bar charts, and if corechart was called first it was the reverse. by calling all packages in all functions, the order no longer matters.

Thanks!

google.load("visualization", "1.0", {packages:["gauge, corechart"]});

google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);
function drawChart() {
    $.ajax({
        url: "/charts/chart_handler.php?chart=risk_return_gauge",
        dataType:"json",
        success: function (jsonData) {
             var data = new google.visualization.DataTable(jsonData);   // Create our data table out of JSON data loaded from server.
             var options = {
                  width: 150, height: 150,
                  yellowFrom: 75, yellowTo: 100,
                  greenFrom: 25, greenTo: 75,
                  minorTicks: 5
              };

            var chart = new google.visualization.Gauge(document.getElementById('chart_riskReturnGauge'));
            chart.draw(data, options);
        }
    });
}

Mark

Aug 20, 2015, 6:20:52 AM8/20/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

I'm getting the following:

Uncaught Error: Module: 'visualization' with version: '41' not found!

var error = new Error("Module: 'visualization' with version: '41' not found!");
error.toString = function() { return this.message; }
throw error;

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 20, 2015, 8:43:40 AM8/20/15
to Google Visualization API
Mark,

It sounds like you are still using google.load().  If you are trying to use the frozen version, you need to change that too google.charts.load(), and follow the rest of the instructions as well.

Mark

Aug 20, 2015, 9:14:44 AM8/20/15
to Google Visualization API
Works! Thanks Daniel!

Kevin Crawley

Aug 21, 2015, 4:43:52 PM8/21/15
to Google Visualization API
We're having some trouble using the new loader in PhantomJS. It appears the loader will not execute, and it's not giving any feedback/errors.
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Thomas

Aug 24, 2015, 7:25:04 AM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API

The frozen version works if the chart html file is hosted on a web server.

However, if a user opens the same chart html file from a local directory, loader cannot load util.css.
Chrome > F12 shows:

The loader fails.

This behavior of frozen version (41) differs from behavior of “maintained version” (1).
A chart html file may be hosted but not mailed.
=> Would be great if frozen version would behave like maintained version (for http and https).

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 24, 2015, 8:06:45 AM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
Thomas, thanks for your report.  I see that the reason this fails is that the loader is attempting to load using the same scheme as the page, which would be fine for web pages, but we should use the same scheme as the loader itself was loaded with.  I should be able to fix this in a couple hours.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 24, 2015, 8:23:17 AM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
Kevin,

If you are using PhantomJS outside of a web page, that would explain why the new loader is having a problem.  It currently assumes it can load using the same scheme (http or https) as the page itself. This is similar to the problem Thomas Schwab reported regarding charts in email.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Kevin Crawley

Aug 24, 2015, 10:51:20 AM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
We're actually loading the page from a web server and PhantomJS has outside network access. I managed to get the PhantomJS remote debugger going and got some feedback from the loader.

TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object (evaluating 'a[L]') [loader.js:60]

'loadGoogleVisLibrary': function() {
var deferred = Q.defer();

google.charts.load("visualization", "1", {
packages: ['corechart', 'table', 'gauge']
});

google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(function() {
console.log('this will never happen');
});

setTimeout(function() {
console('logically, google.load callback should have happened by now');
}, 1500);

return deferred.promise;
},

Paul Benson

Aug 24, 2015, 4:53:11 PM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
We are using dynamic chart creation, so I can not specify "google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawTable);" so javascript is failing when I try to reference google.visualization.DateTable, or anything else using google.visualization....

I am using the google.charts.load() as well as the other changes highlighted above.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 24, 2015, 4:58:00 PM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Paul,

I don't understand why you can't call google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawTable) when you want the drawTable function to be called (once the Google Charts code has been loaded).  How is this different from when you would use google.load() and google.setOnLoadCallback()?

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Paul Benson

Aug 24, 2015, 5:06:18 PM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
Daniel, I might be doing something wrong, but in the mean time here is my issue.

In this example, I set up using jfiddle to show how it used to work. If I have 4 rows, it will show 4 rows with a normal row height.

With the latest version it will fit the rows to the chart height, which gives it an odd look
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 24, 2015, 5:10:01 PM8/24/15
to Google Visualization API
The frozen version (in your first jsfiddle) appears to be loading find then.  We can deal with your issues with the table chart in the other thread.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Thomas

Aug 25, 2015, 7:22:28 AM8/25/15
to Google Visualization API
Works ... thank you! Thomas

Kevin Crawley

Aug 26, 2015, 10:50:03 AM8/26/15
to Google Visualization API
@Daniel

Do you have any feedback regarding this issue. We are unable to deploy the frozen loader until it will work in PhantomJS. The file is being loaded from a web server; so I believe the problem we're experiencing is unrelated to the issue Thomas was having.

Regards
-Kevin

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 26, 2015, 11:00:21 AM8/26/15
to Google Visualization API
Kevin,

I believe I fixed the problem of loading pages with schemes other than http or https, so loading via PhantomJS might work now.

-Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualizati...@googlegroups.com.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Kevin Crawley

Aug 26, 2015, 11:22:17 AM8/26/15
to Google Visualization API
Still having the same issue, loader.js fails at line 60. As noted, we're loading a page from our live servers with PhantomJS, so the protocol it's using should be http/https. I haven't tried Phantom 2.0, but 1.9.8 is not working.
-Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Henry Harrison

Aug 27, 2015, 8:15:03 AM8/27/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel

Is there any timeline for a resolution on point 1 of using the frozen versions?
  1. You can only call google.charts.load() one time.  You can instead list all the packages that you'll need in one call, so there is usually no need to make separate calls.

Regards
Henry

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 27, 2015, 8:29:00 AM8/27/15
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Henry Harrison <hen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Daniel

Is there any timeline for a resolution on point 1 of using the frozen versions?
  1. You can only call google.charts.load() one time.  You can instead list all the packages that you'll need in one call, so there is usually no need to make separate calls.

No resolution yet.   It's been a lower priority since there is an easy workaround for most applications.  I'm curious why you need it.

--
dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Henry Harrison

Aug 27, 2015, 8:43:45 AM8/27/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Legacy application that we haven't had the time to rewrite yet.  We have multiple charts on the same page with different functions that we use on callback. Definite room for improvement but the ability to use google.charts.load more than once was a simple workaround for us.

Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:28:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [visualization-api] Re: Introducing Frozen Google Charts
From: google-visua...@googlegroups.com
To: google-visua...@googlegroups.com

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 27, 2015, 8:56:23 AM8/27/15
to Google Visualization API
You can call google.charts.setOnLoadCallback() multiple times.  For the same reason, I suppose we could allow google.charts.load() to be called multiple times now if you only specify the 'callback' property rather than load more packages.

rishu oberoi

Aug 27, 2015, 1:03:34 PM8/27/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

Changing to 1.0 version from 1 is no more showing up old UI of google tables. Do we have to use the frozen version for that?

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Henry Harrison <hen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Legacy application that we haven't had the time to rewrite yet.  We have multiple charts on the same page with different functions that we use on callback. Definite room for improvement but the ability to use google.charts.load more than once was a simple workaround for us.

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 27, 2015, 1:41:43 PM8/27/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Rishu,

What you got when you loaded "1.0" up until sometime between Tuesday and Wednesday (the rollout may have taken 24 hours this time) was v41, but now it is v42.    v41 is available via the frozen loader, as described in this email announcement.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM, rishu oberoi <rishu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Changing to 1.0 version from 1 is no more showing up old UI of google tables. Do we have to use the frozen version for that?

On Thursday, 27 August 2015 07:56:23 UTC-5, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
You can call google.charts.setOnLoadCallback() multiple times.  For the same reason, I suppose we could allow google.charts.load() to be called multiple times now if you only specify the 'callback' property rather than load more packages.
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Henry Harrison <hen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Legacy application that we haven't had the time to rewrite yet.  We have multiple charts on the same page with different functions that we use on callback. Definite room for improvement but the ability to use google.charts.load more than once was a simple workaround for us.

Thomas

Sep 4, 2015, 9:55:51 AM9/4/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel
I guess tooltip.css does have the "scheme problem", too. (There may be additional files.)
Regards, Thomas

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 4, 2015, 10:05:38 AM9/4/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Thomas,

The tooltip.css file has a worse problem in that it is being loaded from the wrong place entirely.  I'll have a fix for that as soon as I can get it in.  Perhaps today.

Thomas

Sep 5, 2015, 9:26:16 AM9/5/15
to Google Visualization API

Okay. Thx. Sometimes, some labels overlap. This might be the result of missing files, a "chain reaction".

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 5, 2015, 2:58:49 PM9/5/15
to Google Visualization API
Thomas,

The missing tooltip.css problem should be fixed now.

Not sure how you are seeing the overlap of the axis title and tick labels.  Can you give us a link, or create a jsfiddle to demonstrate it?  Thanks.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Thomas <thomas.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay. Thx. Sometimes, some labels overlap. This might be the result of missing files, a "chain reaction".

Thomas

Sep 7, 2015, 3:02:37 AM9/7/15
to Google Visualization API

Okay, thank you.

Chrome loads tooltip.css!

Chrome shows a second reference to a file called tooltip.css, now.
Chrome cannot resolve this second reference (> Open chart html file from local directory > F12 > Tab “Network”).

Furthermore, if a browser loads the chart resources using http, it loads some files using http, others files using https.
Would be great if browsers could use http respectively tls all the way down.

(If the reference changes will not solve the “overlap problem” => a very special case!, then I will try to prepare a fiddle, later.)

Thomas Fantou

Sep 7, 2015, 10:52:16 AM9/7/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

We are using the Google Chart API, and rendering our html view with wkhtmltopdf tool (converter html to pdf).
It has always been working fine even now with the last stable version, however there is a strange behaviour with the new Frozen version; As far as I have been able to debug, the google.charts.load() method never returns. (Callback method is never triggered/google.visualization.DataTable() is 'undefined')

The frozen version works with our browsers, but not with the third party tool as stated above. I am not sure how I can investigate further; is there any reasons that would ring a bell about this ? (e.g. if platform isn't a browser, the .load() will be stuck somewhere?)

Thanks,
Thomas

On Tuesday, 28 July 2015 13:11:12 UTC+1, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
[...]

  1. If you are using a ChartWrapper, you must explicitly load all the packages you'll need rather than relying on the ChartWrapper to automatically load them for you.
We expect that frozen versions will remain available indefinitely, though we may retire frozen versions that have security concerns.  We will typically not provide support for frozen versions, except to suggest upgrading to newer versions.

Even if you don't plan to use the frozen version 41, it would help us if you could try it now with your charts and please let us know if you experience any problems.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 7, 2015, 2:49:09 PM9/7/15
to Google Visualization API
Thomas,

Yes, the extra attempt to load tooltip.css from the wrong place will remain, since it is hard-coded into the frozen version rather than being part of the loader configuration.  This will be fixed in version 43.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 7, 2015, 2:53:56 PM9/7/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Thomas,

I can't imagine what might be happening when the Google Charts frozen v41 is loaded view wkhtmltopdf, but it sounds like that tool doesn't work with the dynamic loading mechanism that we depend on.  Does anything get loaded beyond the loader itself?

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Thomas Fantou

Sep 8, 2015, 4:28:57 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

Well we haven't seen any problems with the rest. Also, like I said, the loading works fine with the non-frozen versions.
I am not sure I've followed the issue about the loader attempting to load the same scheme as the page, but since the request is not done through a web browser, would that make a difference?

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 8, 2015, 8:07:34 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Thomas,

First, google.charts.load() always uses https now.

My question was whether you can tell what is loaded by wkhtmltopdf after google.charts.load() is called?  If it loads the packages fine but just doesn't call the callback, then the problem is most likely that the loader doesn't know everything has finished loading.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Thomas Fantou

Sep 8, 2015, 9:56:21 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

Oh sorry about that, I believe it is the loading crashing; as I have tried to give long delay to the javascript and let it try to load, but "google.visualization" would always be undefined. (google = { charts: {} })
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Thomas Fantou

Sep 8, 2015, 9:59:07 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
I would like to add that I have tried to overwrite the callback like this:
google.charts.load('41', { 'callback': function () { console.log("koko"); }, 'packages': ['corechart', 'table'] });

It actually doesn't overwrite setOnLoadCallback, but there is now 2 callbacks. The log "koko" is showing just fine in browser, but not with the tool

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 8, 2015, 10:15:45 AM9/8/15

I poked around on http://wkhtmltopdf.org/index.html and didn't find out how it works.  It would help if someone could explain what this tool does with dynamic http/https requests and generated DOM elements.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Kevin Crawley

Sep 8, 2015, 10:21:16 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Daniel,

Has there been any progress on determining why the loader will not work in PhantomJS?

Thanks,
Kevin

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 7:11:12 AM UTC-5, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
[...]

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 8, 2015, 10:40:57 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Kevin,

Sorry, no, I haven't had time to investigate further.   Can you try again and send me an email with the details of the error message?  I might be able to guess at this point.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Kevin Crawley

Sep 8, 2015, 11:08:44 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Daniel,

There isn't an error, the loader appears to never finish executing. The library appears to be there `google.charts` is an object, but `visualization` is conspicuously absent.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 8, 2015, 11:17:49 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Kevin,

OK, a silent failure means it may be more challenging to get clues about what is happening.  You say the loader appear to never finish loading, but does it start?  Is it loading any files?  It would start by loading css files, then js files.  If it does appear to load all the files, but then never calls the callback to proceed, that would indicate it doesn't know the document has finished loading.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

--
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Kevin Crawley

Sep 8, 2015, 11:43:58 AM9/8/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Seems to get to util.css (which loads successfully) and then nothing more.

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 8, 2015, 11:57:56 AM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Kevin,

Sounds like the css load detection is failing then.   The frozen code loader actually waits for the css files to be loaded before proceeding, which would be better than not waiting, but that means it has to be able to detect that the files are loaded.   Let's communicate by direct email about how we might be able to fix this.

Thomas Fantou

Sep 8, 2015, 12:10:30 PM9/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

Might be related to what Kevin is experiencing,
I was debugging, 5 seconds after the .load(), which script and style were living in the DOM: only the util.css

Kevin Crawley

Sep 9, 2015, 9:12:01 AM9/9/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Okay, we can do that. Let me know how I can assist in getting this issue put to bed.

Thomas

Sep 14, 2015, 8:05:13 AM9/14/15
to Google Visualization API
hi

https
works, thx.

http
would be an asset. some html pages have to use http throughout (e.g.,
taking account of additional 3rd party libraries).

tooltip.css
thx for the info. when will google "freeze" 43 (provide a frozen version)? 2015? 2016? an exact
answer is not necessary, of course.

"overlap problem"
if the stable version draws a line chart while style.display of div is 'none' (initially), the line chart will be okay.
if the frozen version draws a line chart while style.display of div is 'none' (initially), the line chart will be NOT okay: the
vertical labels overlap (a picture is in this thread, above).
approach (subject to tests): use style.visibility rather than style.display.

besides, another question
Is it in order to call setOnLoadCallback several times and draw several charts?

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 14, 2015, 8:32:55 AM9/14/15
to Google Visualization API
Thomas,

I believe that pages fetched via http can load resources via https without concern, but not the other way around.  In other words, loading secure resources in an insecure page is OK, but loading insecure resources in a secure page would compromise the security of the page. If the Google Charts internal use of https causes problems for anyone, I'm sure we'll hear about it.

Version 43 will be frozen sometime before version 44 is released, but more likely, soon after version 43 is released to production which could be in about 1 month. We hope to start the v43 release cycle this week.

Regarding the problem with setting the container style.display to 'none', this will continue to be a problem since Google Charts doesn't know how big your text labels are when you draw a chart unless the chart is being displayed, even if it is invisible (via style.visibility).

You should be able to call setOnLoadCallback multiple times, at least with the google.charts.setOnLoadCallback.  The answer is less clear with google.setOnLoadCallback.

Thomas

Sep 14, 2015, 10:17:21 AM9/14/15
to Google Visualization API
thanks a lot!

but it is okay to use only style.visibility, right?

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 14, 2015, 11:02:02 AM9/14/15
to Google Visualization API
Yes, using style.visibility = 'hidden' does everything the same as 'visible' except it's just not visible.  So text measuring works OK.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Thomas <thomas.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks a lot!

but it is okay to use only style.visibility, right?

Daniel LaLiberte

Sep 17, 2015, 4:01:39 PM9/17/15
to Google Visualization API
Google Charts version 42 can now be loaded via the frozen code loader.  Just replace "41" with "42" in your google.charts.load() call to get that version.

In upcoming releases, we expect to make the "frozen" version available even sooner after the public release of the "stable" version.   In fact, we will probably make the next version available even before starting the normal release cycle, thus allowing people to use our very latest development version and help us test it out that much sooner.   Watch for upcoming announcements about that.

Stefano Colao

Daniel LaLiberte

Oct 8, 2015, 8:02:19 AM10/8/15
to Google Visualization API
There is no difference in how you use arrayToDataTable with Frozen Google Charts.  There should be no difference in anything, except how you load.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Stefano Colao

Oct 8, 2015, 8:22:46 AM10/8/15
to Google Visualization API
Thanks, it was my mistake, everything is working.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-visualization-api.

Julian Claus

Oct 22, 2015, 2:28:43 AM10/22/15
to Google Visualization API
I get the error:

Uncaught TypeError: google.charts.Line is not a function

I did the following:

Julian Claus

Oct 22, 2015, 2:35:04 AM10/22/15
to Google Visualization API
I replaced "corechart" with "line" and it finally worked!

Frédéric Gaye

Nov 2, 2015, 4:02:29 PM11/2/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

It seems there a bug with Forzen 43 and  use of option focusTarget:'category'.
When we use both, it become impossible to mouse over a barchart to see the tooltip (we see tooltip only if we put our mouse next to barchat) if we use frozen 42 all is fine.

See this simple example

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js"></script>
<script type="application/javascript"> google.charts.load('43', {packages: ['corechart'], 'language': 'fr'});
google.charts.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);

    function drawChart() {
   var data = google.visualization.arrayToDataTable([
 ['Canaux', '28 derniers jours', { role: 'style' }, { role: 'annotation' }, 'Période précédente'],
 ['Organic Search', 59200, '#337ab7', -3130, 58750 ],
 ['Referral', 6450, '#337ab7', -387, 6837],
 ['Direct', 5874, '#337ab7', -424, 6298 ],
 ['Social', 113, '#337ab7', -78, 191],
 ['(other)', 20, '#337ab7', 3, 17]
 ]);
      var options = {
        title: "Density of Precious Metals, in g/cm^3",
        width: 600,
        height: 400,
  focusTarget:'category',
        legend: { position: 'none' },
        tooltip: {textStyle:{ color: '#333', fontSize:12 }},
      };
      var chart = new google.visualization.BarChart(document.getElementById('barchart_values2'));
      chart.draw(data, options);
  }
  </script>

Any idea to correct this point ?

Regards

Sergey Grabkovsky

Nov 2, 2015, 4:05:24 PM11/2/15
to Google Visualization API
Thanks for notifying us of this bug! We will fix it soon.

unnamed.gif
Sergey Grabkovsky | SWE  | gra...@google.com

Frédéric Gaye

Nov 3, 2015, 8:46:53 AM11/3/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your (quickly) anwsers.

Note : there another "little" but boring bug. Now with frozen 42 and 43, date in  tooltip are by default in english. We need to add  google.charts.load('42', {packages: ['corechart'], 'language': 'fr'}); to have date in french. Is it possible to correct this to stay like before frozen (that is to say, language are automatically detected and no need to force with 'language': 'fr' to have french.

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Sergey Grabkovsky

Nov 3, 2015, 9:47:29 AM11/3/15
to Google Visualization API
As far as I know, we have never autodetected the language/locale and automatically loaded the correct version. So, if anything, this is not a bug, but a feature request. We have discussed how we would do this before, and I think we have a plan for how to proceed. However, I don't have any estimates for when we might do this, since the browser APIs for language detection haven't really stabilized yet.

unnamed.gif
Sergey Grabkovsky | SWE

unnamed.gif
Sergey Grabkovsky | SWE  | gra...@google.com

Frédéric Gaye

Nov 3, 2015, 7:46:56 PM11/3/15
to Google Visualization API
Hi Sergey,

Thanks.
I  was thinking there was an autodetection (and a bug) because see theses 2 codes.

  • The first one (old jsapi) show tooltip in my language (french) without any language indication

 <script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.google.com/jsapi?autoload={'modules':[{'name':'visualization','version':'1','packages':['corechart']}]}"></script>
     <script type="application/javascript">
google.setOnLoadCallback(drawChart);
function drawChart() {

  var data = new google.visualization.DataTable();
data.addColumn({type:'date', role:'domain'});
data.addColumn('number', 'Sessions');
data.addColumn({type:'date', role:'domain'});
data.addColumn('number', 'Sessions');

data.addRows([
[new Date("4/11/2015"),2189,new Date("3/11/2015"),2189],
[new Date("4/12/2015"),2389,new Date("3/12/2015"),2536],
[new Date("4/13/2015"),2189,new Date("3/13/2015"),2545],
[new Date("4/14/2015"),2129,new Date("3/14/2015"),2390],
 ]);
      var options = {
    focusTarget:'category',
        legend: { position: 'none' },
        tooltip: {textStyle:{ color: '#333', fontSize:12 }},
      };
      var chart = new google.visualization.LineChart(document.getElementById('barchart_values3'));
      chart.draw(data, options);
  }
</script>

  • And the second (loader.js) , need to force/add  'language': 'fr' to see tooltip in french instead of en ("by default").

[...]

      var chart = new google.visualization.LineChart(document.getElementById('barchart_values2'));
      chart.draw(data, options);
  }
  </script>

Any idea to show in the second code a "autodetected" french language without any 'language': 'fr' ?

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
unnamed.gif
Sergey Grabkovsky | SWE

Sergey

Nov 4, 2015, 4:08:51 PM11/4/15
to Google Visualization API
So the focusTarget:'category' issue should be fixed now, with the latest frozen 43 push.

As for the language autodetection... Which browser/OS are you using, and do you have the browser configured in any special sort of way?

I'm on a Mac, and I tried to reproduce by setting Chrome's primary language, and by changing my region, to no avail.

Sergey

Nov 4, 2015, 4:32:55 PM11/4/15
to Google Visualization API
OK, so I did some snooping around, and it appears that there was language autodetection, but we won't be able to support it the same way, since we do not have a server.

I'm not really sure how to advise you on this. We do intend to do some language detection for frozen versions, but it will be done on the client-side, so I don't know if it will work as well.

Jesse Gardona

Jan 5, 2016, 8:35:49 PM1/5/16
to Google Visualization API
Hello Daniel

Don't want to take up to much of your busy time.  Just one question, I would like to create a bubble/cluster global map just like periscope app ( I have included a screen shot), is this possible within the google maps platform?  Thank you
periscope2

EC

Feb 25, 2016, 11:24:48 AM2/25/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi, Daniel-
I noticed that my charts suddenly stopped working in UNIX, but remained functional in Windows yesterday.  I was stumped until I saw this post today.  You can see my thread at:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-visualization-api/F1MAY5Y47ZY
Thanks!

Shravan Pintu

Apr 15, 2016, 12:38:48 AM4/15/16
to Google Visualization API
Hai daniel could you please post example for dynamic data for pie charts.....because i have gone through the previous replys but couldnt find out proper answer for pie chart.
Please explain in detail manner.....

Thanks in advance

carinlynchin

Aug 15, 2016, 12:38:33 PM8/15/16
to Google Visualization API
I know this is old...but i am having the same issue. I am using PHantomJS and I get to the point where I want to load google. Google variable is an object, but it never calls the callback. I have a console.log inside the method for the callback which never shows up which tells me it is definitely not calling the callback. I know you guys were going to take this offline, but did you ever find a resolution. I have been trying to get this to work for days.

carinlynchin

Aug 15, 2016, 12:40:18 PM8/15/16
to Google Visualization API
If I set a timeout of 5 -10 seconds, then manually call the callback...then there is no visualization so the x = new google.visualization.DataTable doesn't exist

Daniel LaLiberte

Aug 15, 2016, 1:47:53 PM8/15/16
to Google Visualization API
carinlynchin, if your problem is using the gstatic loader with PhantomJS, you should try it now with the 'upcoming' release, which is v45 at this time.  I've just updated it to support dynamic loading, and it should work in all variations I could think of, at least regarding what happens in the browser.  It's still not clear to me what happens on the server-side with PhantomJS.

If it doesn't work, I would appreciate it if you could point me to a web page that demonstrates the problem you are seeing.  Code won't help me in this case, since I have to see what ends up in the browser.

carinlynchin

Aug 15, 2016, 1:53:26 PM8/15/16
to Google Visualization API
I would love to show you a page, but its server side. I changed it to 45 but it still doesn't call my callback. I'm not sure whats going on.

carinlynchin

Aug 15, 2016, 1:58:09 PM8/15/16
to Google Visualization API
Here are some screenshots tho... one showing the callback  and the google loads... the other showing the results of phantomjs... the "about to load" refers  to the fact that google.charts.load is about to go... the finished loading refers to the fact that the page has completed loading (that code is in anohter file where the phantom stuff is)

Ibrahim Pala

Apr 12, 2018, 11:10:36 AM4/12/18
to Google Visualization API
Hello,

How can we make datefilter for Weekly, Quarterly, Yearly from Contents Daily Date JSON or Data?

For example:
I made this and you can choose your date type but which date type you choose it gives always daily range:

For instance:
If i choose weekly, 13-2007 between 20-2017
it should be show and give sum of week 14, week 15,... week 19 (6 value)

If i choose quarter, Q2-2007 between Q2-2018
it should be show and give sum of Q3-2007, Q4-2008, Q1-2018 (3 value)

My json data contains daily values, how can i make group or other else?

Could you please give me an example and suggestion?

Best Regards