google charts - changing data granularity

nadavs

Jun 10, 2018, 2:34:36 AM6/10/18
to Google Visualization API
I've been working on a project with google charts for a while now. I have lots and lots of data points and i want to smooth it out.

I'm generally looking for this: https://developers.google.com/chart/image/docs/gallery/line_charts#data-granularity but with the current version of google charts.

this is how a graph the represents a day looks like: enter image description here

this is how a graph the represents an hour looks like: enter image description here

I use ChartRangeFilter to "zoom" in and out on the graph but I want to smoothen the lines so it would look more reasonable.

I know i can do this manually by averaging the data but it feels like an overkill. any suggestions?

thanks!!!

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 10, 2018, 1:03:51 PM6/10/18
to Google Visualization API
The only way we have currently to smoothen the data is to aggregate it, using the data.group function.  See documentation at https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/reference#google_visualization_data_group

You would specify a key with a custom modifier function that changes values within an hour to a whole hour,
and then in the 'columns', specify an aggregation by averaging all the values that have the same hour.

Another way to think about smoothing is a moving average, where instead of one-hour discrete buckets, you would use a sliding window over the preceding hour.  We don't have a way of computing such a moving average, so you would have to do that on your own.  But you could do that a little more simply with a DataView and a calculated column, using the setColumns method.

Panda Power Software Development

Oct 12, 2021, 2:46:35 PM10/12/21
to Google Visualization API
Hi-

I have the same problem, just wondered if you ever resolved it.
My line chart data looks similar to yours, I want it to auto-aggregate based on the number of points.
The Y-axis consists of dates.
I don't mind creating my own aggregation method, like, work out the number of points within the current graph range, and update date= accordingly, or something like thatScreenshot 2021-10-12 at 19.46.18.png