Google "Chart Editor" display is too small - anyone else having this issue?

Melissa Bollen

Apr 11, 2016, 6:50:34 PM4/11/16
to Google Visualization API
I'm getting weird behavior with the Google "Chart Editor" in both Chrome and Firefox (I haven't tried any other browsers). I've attached a screenshot, and I can reproduce the issue on Google's own example of the Chart Editor: https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/reference#example_7.

Basically, a lot of the controls are "scrunched" and not being given as much space as they actually need. I can't find any references to other people having this issue, and there's not any obvious way to simply specify that the editor should take up more space...

It'd be helpful to know if it's a local issue, or if others are experiencing this too. A solution would be even better, of course :)

Cheers,
 - Melissa
Google ChartEditor weirdness.png

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 12, 2016, 9:49:23 AM4/12/16
to Google Visualization API
Melissa,

It would appear you have found a bug in the ChartEditor.  I would guess the CSS file is not in sync with what the ChartEditor requires, though it will take some investigation to find out why and fix it.

The problem doesn't appear when using it with the latest version, however:  https://jsfiddle.net/dlaliberte/29tefs26/
So it might only be a problem in the documentation page.

Gabriela Tepor

May 11, 2016, 3:47:52 PM5/11/16
to Google Visualization API
Hi Mellisa,

 I have the same error and I did not find the solution to fix it...Have you found a solution and can you share it, please?

Thank you

Melissa Bollen

May 16, 2016, 12:30:03 PM5/16/16
to Google Visualization API
I ended up just overriding the CSS directly. These are the main adjustments I made. You can probably use Inspect Source / Firebug / etc. to find the other CSS class names if you need to make additional changes :)

.google-visualization-charteditor-dialog {
    height: auto !important;
    width: auto !important;
}

.google-visualization-charteditor-dialog .goog-flat-menu-button {
    height: auto !important;
}

.google-visualization-charteditor-name-input {
    height: auto !important;
}

.google-visualization-charteditor-preview-td {
    top: auto !important;
}

.goog-toolbar-combo-caption-gecko
{
    margin-top: 0 !important;

Gabriela Tepor

May 21, 2016, 12:14:03 PM5/21/16
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for you answer! Have a nice day, Mellisa!