GeoChart - Syntax for Metro area code

Michael Berry

Jun 13, 2013, 11:40:41 AM6/13/13
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Im very new to using the mapping tools and only a novice Javascript person..

Im trying to solve a syntax problem when using the 3 digit metro area code for my metro area (which is Peoria, IL)

The code is 675.

Can anyone tell me the syntax to use 675 in the following :

var options = {
 resolution:  'metros',
        region: '675'

In my above example...it doesnt work.

thanks

asgallant

Jun 13, 2013, 2:34:22 PM6/13/13
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
You can't map at the metro level, you can get a state map with metro resolution.  The location column in your DataTable would contain metro codes.

Sergey Grabkovsky

Jun 13, 2013, 2:38:07 PM6/13/13
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
That's actually not entirely accurate. We do have maps at the metro level. You can request your metro area by using 'US-675' as the region.

- Sergey

Michael Berry

Jun 13, 2013, 2:50:04 PM6/13/13
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sergy, Your syntax recommendation worked out ( 'US-675' ).  I got the map I wanted.  Naturally, that led to one more issue.  I was plotting some cities that should be showing up in the Metro area, but none of my table data got plotted.  The map is blank.  These plot points showed up fine when the map ID was 'US-IL'

Here is an example of a bit of the marker syntax:

['Pekin ', 1, 58],
['PEKIN', 3, 38026],
['PEORIA ', 1, 243],
['PEORIA HEIGHTS', 2, 11308],
['PEORIA HTS', 1, 120],
['Peoria', 3, 225924],
['Peru', 1, 931],
['POLO', 1, 55],

My question is...if I am using a Metro map like 'US-675', what kind of formatted data do I need to get a marker to show up in the metro maps ?

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:40:41 AM UTC-4, Michael Berry wrote:
Im very new to using the mapping tools and only a novice Javascript person..

Im trying to solve a syntax problem when using the 3 digit metro area code for my metro area (which is Peoria, IL)

The code is 675.

Can anyone tell me the syntax to use 675 in the following :

var options = {
 resolution:  'metros',
        region: '675'

In my above example...it doesnt work.

thanks

Sergey Grabkovsky

Jun 13, 2013, 3:08:00 PM6/13/13
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
That's quite a weird issue that you're experiencing. This is due to the GeoChart trying to be smart when it tries to geocode things. Essentially, when we send data off to the Maps API to geocode, we try to give Maps a little bit of context. This context turns out to be the region that you've specified in your data. For the US-IL case, this makes the request look something like "PEKIN US-IL" or "Peoria US-IL", which maps uses correctly. However, when you use "US-675", that makes the requests look like "PEKIN US-675" or "Peru US-675", which Maps doesn't seem to handle quite as gracefully. Some of the areas you gave wind up geocoding to Mexico, others to Colorado, etc. A possible answer here is to use the bounds of the map as well as the region code to bias the results toward your relevant area. I'll take a look into doing this, but unfortunately I can't give you an immediate fix outside of geocoding the points yourself.

- Sergey

Itai Shalom

Mar 4, 2017, 12:23:22 PM3/4/17
to Google Visualization API
How did you find the code? How you found out that 645 is Peoria, IL ?

Carlos Moreira

Mar 15, 2017, 11:29:47 AM3/15/17
to Google Visualization API

Tess DiStefano