Announcing update of ALL versions of Google Charts prior to v41 to v46

Daniel LaLiberte

Jan 31, 2019, 5:08:02 PM1/31/19
to Google Visualization API, charts-announce
Since 2015, we started releasing new versions of Google Charts on a new server, and the old server has remained static ever since then.  However, the old server will be turned off entirely at the end of this quarter, so that means everyone using any versions on the old server will be forced to migrate to the new server.

Fortunately, we will be able to automatically redirect all requests to the new server, which means that all versions of Google Charts that have been loaded via the jsapi loader will effectively be automatically updated to the current version, which is v46.

So you won't have to make any changes to your code to be affected by this update, but you may need to update how you are using Google Charts due to differences in the versions, or you may select one of the other versions that are available.

You can check how your charts will appear once this update occurs by following the instructions on how to update your loader at:   https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/basic_load_libs#update-library-loader-code

The last version released to the server where jsapi loads from was v41, and the same version (or nearly so) was also frozen on the new server.   It might be best to try that version, if v46 is not working for you.  Other versions you can use on the new server are 42, 43, 44, 45, 45.1, 45.2, and 46.  You can review all the changes in each subsequent version at:  https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/release_notes#february-23-2015

Also, in preparation for this turndown of the old server, there will be short periods of outages, maybe up to a few hours, during which the UDS server is "drained" of all requests to determine if there are any further unknowns.  You may have noticed one already.   You can avoid these outages by updating to the new loader, as linked to above.

--
Message has been deleted

eLearnig Solution

Mar 19, 2019, 12:06:08 PM3/19/19
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

If the only code I have is this, how can I update to a newer version? Since today I can no longer visualize the graphics.

Ruby code:
img += '&chxt=x,x,y,y&chxl=1:|Objetivos|3:|Competencias&chxp=1,50|3,50&chxr=0,0,100,0|1,0,100,0'
img += '&chds=0,100&chs=500x440&cht=s&chco=000000&chg=33.33,33.33,0,0'
img += '&chxs=0,000000,12.5,0,lt,000000|1,000000,11.5,0,lt,0C0B0B'
img += '&chm=o,666666,0,0,10'
img += '&chd=t:'+compliance_objectives.to_s+'|'+compliance_competences.to_s %>

Thank you.

Jon Orwant

Mar 19, 2019, 12:13:05 PM3/19/19
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
That appears to be a scatter chart. Documentation for the Google Charts scatter chart is here:

Jon

Daniel LaLiberte

Mar 19, 2019, 12:21:50 PM3/19/19
to Google Visualization API
Confusingly, the Image Charts (aka Charts API, or Chart Server charts), which constructs charts given a URL, is very different from the interactive charts constructed in browsers with a small amount of JavaScript using a very different API, referred to as Google Charts (or Google Visualization API).    Google Charts, documented at https://developers.google.com/chart/, is not actually intended as a newer version of the image charts.

If you want to convert your Image Charts to use Google Charts.  Find the closest type of chart (perhaps the scatter chart, as Jon says), figure out the corresponding data format and options, and modify your web pages accordingly.  We don't have any automatic procedure for doing this conversion.

Mahesh Vasudevanpotti

Mar 19, 2019, 12:46:54 PM3/19/19
to Google Visualization API

Sebastian Molina

Mar 19, 2019, 5:23:20 PM3/19/19
to Google Visualization API
Same issue as you. Working until yesterday afternoon but getting a 502 error at the moment.

Example of the URL we rea requesting.

https://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chst=d_map_pin_letter&chld=A|fd8373|000000

Jon Orwant

Mar 19, 2019, 5:45:24 PM3/19/19
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
That's Google Image Charts, not Google Charts (the subject of this forum). Google Image Charts was deprecated in 2012 and finally turned off last night. The announcement, as well as some alternatives you can switch to, are discussed here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-chart-api/rZtHTyYgyXI.

Jon

Dan Vokt

Mar 19, 2019, 5:55:02 PM3/19/19
to Google Visualization API

Jon Orwant

Mar 19, 2019, 5:58:04 PM3/19/19
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Any use of chart.apis.google.com or chart.googleapis.com will no longer work. Their deprecation was announced in 2012 and finally turned off last night.

The discussion at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-chart-api/rZtHTyYgyXI includes several alternatives you might be able to use.

Jon

Stepan Sadovnikov

Apr 15, 2019, 7:37:31 AM4/15/19
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel.

I have several questions regarding the update.

1) Are outages still expected?

2) If yes, is there a date or approximate timeframe when outages will happen?

3) Will the old jsapi loader become unavailable?

4) If yes, is there a date or approximate timeframe when the old loader will be removed?

5) Is there any way to make new loader call back when it (as in, loader.js itself) is loaded?

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 15, 2019, 3:22:02 PM4/15/19
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:37 AM Stepan Sadovnikov <stepan.s...@ardas.dp.ua> wrote:
Hi Daniel.

I have several questions regarding the update.

1) Are outages still expected?

We will probably not have any more (planned) outages.  We have a different strategy now which will avoid the need for outages to warn about the impending turndown of the service associated with using the jsapi loader. More below.

The old jsapi loader would have become unavailable.  But as I said above:

Fortunately, we will be able to automatically redirect all requests to the new server, which means that all versions of Google Charts that have been loaded via the jsapi loader will effectively be automatically updated to the current version, which is v46.
So you won't have to make any changes to your code to be affected by this update, but you may need to update how you are using Google Charts due to differences in the versions, or you may select one of the other versions that are available.

The redirect means that if you load jsapi, you will automatically be redirected to load the new loader instead.

4) If yes, is there a date or approximate timeframe when the old loader will be removed?

5) Is there any way to make new loader call back when it (as in, loader.js itself) is loaded?

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are referring to the auto-load feature that jsapi has supported, yes, we are adding that to the new loader.js as well.  Documentation for the jsapi auto-load feature is at:  https://devsite.googleplex.com/loader/#auto-loading

But the jsapi auto-load feature doesn't appear to support a callback, though if it did, it would have to be a global function name.  We are adding support for that in the new loader.js.

On Friday, 1 February 2019 00:08:02 UTC+2, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
[...]

Stepan Sadovnikov

Apr 16, 2019, 10:10:07 AM4/16/19
to Google Visualization API
Thank you for your prompt reply.

To clear up probable misunderstanding: current jsapi loader allows specifying global callback e.g. like this https://www.google.com/jsapi?callback=__gwt_AjaxLoader_onLoad to let page scripts know that they can proceed with asking it to load modules, so I was wondering if the new loader will be able to do that as well, as my current code inserts loader script tag when it is first needed.

So basically, my main remaining concerns are

- By which time (in several days? weeks? months?) my client code needs to be changed to use new loader (as right now judging by https://developers.google.com/chart/interactive/docs/basic_load_libs#update-library-loader-code it seems that while changes are small, the old code still needs to be changed to use new loader)?

- Whether by then I can rely on global callback passed in the URL or will this ability included in an update after that?

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 16, 2019, 11:20:20 AM4/16/19
to Google Visualization API
Thanks for your more detailed question.  I see now that the jsapi loader supported use of the 'callback' parameter, saying:

You can load the Google API loader dynamically by creating a script element and setting its source to the same "https://www.google.com/jsapi" URL with an additional query callback parameter. The callback will be executed when the loader is ready.

I didn't notice that previously, and it is not very well documented.  I can add support for it, however.  So you won't need to change anything in order to be automatically updated via the redirect to the new loader.

Note, however, that using the 'callback' parameter on the jsapi loader won't necessarily be enough by itself.  You will need a google.load() call that will also be redirected to call the equivalent google.charts.load(), after which the callback function will be called.  But the one callback function will only apply to one google.load() call.  If you make a second google.load() call, it won't call that same callback function again.

Shanmuga Srinivas

Jun 27, 2020, 2:14:11 AM6/27/20
to Google Visualization API
Hi Daniel,

Good morning!

We are using Google Visualization API for  line charts in our application. From 24th June 2020,  we are getting an error "cannot read property 'datatable' of undefined "  in chrome 83 version browser , but the same code works fine in IE 11 version. We appreciate if you can provide some inputs to resolve such differences. Please find below the code we are using in the application:

In Html:

<script type="text/javascript">
google.load("visualization","1" {
packages :["corecharts", "annotationcharts"]
});
$(document).ready(function(){
initGraph();
});
</script>
In Js file:

function initGraph(){
data = new google.visualization.DataTable();
// rest of the code follows

Thanks & Regards,
Srinivas Shanmuga .G

Daniel LaLiberte

Jun 27, 2020, 2:41:20 AM6/27/20
to Google Visualization API
The jsapi loader that you have been using is now being redirected to the new loader, and version '1' is the latest stable version, which we call 'current' in the updated realm.   We can't go back to the old loader and prior versions before we started freezing at version 41.  The entire server that older versions were served from is being turned off, finally.

Please update your loader code at your earliest convenience based on the referenced documentation.  You might find version '45.2' is closed to the last version available previously.

Regarding the error you are seeing, I can't tell what might be happening without seeing a lot more of your code.   It is usually best to link directly to the page that is failing so we can see the failure in the debugger.

GWT dev

Jul 2, 2020, 4:27:05 AM7/2/20
to Google Visualization API
Hello,

My application (GWT language) is using this URL.
But this link does not work anymore since yesterday.

Would you have a solution for that ?
Thanks in advance,
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-visualization-api+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Daniel LaLiberte

Jul 2, 2020, 10:39:27 AM7/2/20
to Google Visualization API
Hi GWT dev guy,

You should not have been using a uds url directly.  If you were using loading the jsapi loader from http://www.google.com/jsapi, then you should be seeing a redirect to the new loader at http://www.gstatic.com/charts/loader.js.   Perhaps you are using a local copy of the jsapi loader?

Robert van Heumen

Jul 7, 2020, 4:08:48 AM7/7/20
to Google Visualization API
Hi,

We have had the same issue. The immediate problem is not the old loader (that is automatically redirected to the new loader with version 45.2), but the syntax:

google.load("visualization","1" {
packages :["corecharts", "annotationcharts"]
});

should be:

google.charts.load("visualization","1" {
packages :["corecharts", "annotationcharts"]
});

I guess until recently both syntax versions were supported.

Best,
Robert

Daniel LaLiberte

Jul 7, 2020, 11:11:39 AM7/7/20
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I believe both syntaxes are still supported.  Except you are missing a comma after "1".

Here is a jsfiddle showing that that loading with google.charts.load('visualization', '1', ...) works.
And changing google.charts.load to google.load also works.