Is guice-persist alive?

Serega Sheypak

Apr 4, 2017, 6:16:41 PM4/4/17
to google-guice
Hi, is it alive? I made it work, looks nice, but:
1. I need Finder stuff. Seems like warp is dead?
2. Will google-persist get new features?

Stephan Classen

Apr 4, 2017, 6:52:52 PM4/4/17
to google...@googlegroups.com

Hard to say

I'm not working for Google but last time I asked this question it remained unanswered.
Last real development I see in 2011. After this only whitespace refactorings.

The Issues in the issue tracker are also open since a very long time.

Because of this I wrote my own persistence extension for guice. This project has never attracted much attention and is by now also kind of abandoned. If you decide to resurrect it, I will gladly give you a hand
src: https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/onami/trunk/persist/
doc: https://onami.apache.org/persist/index.html

Asier

Jul 25, 2017, 5:34:30 AM7/25/17
to google...@googlegroups.com
Hi

There's a fork of onami-persist, which has some enhacements. We are not using
it, but thinking about to migrate from onami-persist to "tocktix"-persist.

https://github.com/tocktix/onami-persist

We miss an open-session-in-view library with support, but hey, your library
works very well for us and we don't have the knowledge to maintain it so
thanks for releasing it.

This is another matter, but lack of extensions make us think about leaving
Guice and start with Spring, as most projects are using it because of its rich
ecosystem.

Regards

Stephan Classen

Jul 25, 2017, 8:45:05 AM7/25/17
to google...@googlegroups.com
Cool to see my code still is alive :)

My offer still stands. I can help anybody who wants to use it.
If it helps I can also migrate it to my github account so you have an
issue tracker and can create pull requests

Asier

Sep 9, 2017, 4:39:05 AM9/9/17
to google-guice

Hi Stephan

(Sorry for the delay)

Our main concern with onami-persist is related to this:

"AOP synthetic warnings after Java 8 upgrade" - https://groups.google.com/

forum/#!topic/google-guice/-DH5fBD7M30

The "easy" patch seems the one pointed in the e-mail but, if I had

understanded the PersistenceModule#configurePersistenceUnits method and bind a

custom method matcher to exclude synthetic methods. Something like this (bolded text):

private static final class TransactionMethodMatcher extends AbstractMatcher<Method> {

@Override

public boolean matches(final Method method) {

return method.isAnnotationPresent(Transactional.class) && !method.isSynthetic();

}

}

/**

* Configures the persistence units.

*/

private void configurePersistenceUnits() {

this.configurePersistence();

this.bind(PersistenceFilter.class).to(PersistenceFilterImpl.class) .in(Scopes.SINGLETON);

final AllPersistenceUnits allPersistenceUnits = new AllPersistenceUnits();

this.requestInjection(allPersistenceUnits);

this.bind(AllPersistenceServices.class).toInstance(allPersistenceUnits);

this.bind(AllUnitsOfWork.class).toInstance(allPersistenceUnits);

for (final PersistenceUnitModuleConfiguration config : this.configurations) {

final TxnInterceptor txnInterceptor = new TxnInterceptor();

this.install(new PersistenceUnitModule(config, txnInterceptor, allPersistenceUnits));

this.bindInterceptor(any(), new TransactionMethodMatcher(),

txnInterceptor);

this.bindInterceptor(annotatedWith(Transactional.class), new

TransactionMethodMatcher(), txnInterceptor);

}

}

But this is a bit overkill because basically we are excluding all the synthetic methods - perhaps the best workaround should be able to give a class matcher to this method with the classes to exclude?

Regards

David Sowerby

Sep 10, 2017, 6:08:59 AM9/10/17
to google-guice
On the general topic of persistence for Guice - I did integrate onami-persist as a persistence component for my own project quite a while ago - there have been a few downloads, though I cannot claim it is a raging success!

However, I am getting back to developing my work further and would not want to lose what seems to be the only Guice based persistence available - I would certainly like to see onami-persist kept alive if that's possible

Stephan Classen

Sep 12, 2017, 4:01:43 AM9/12/17
to David Sowerby, google...@googlegroups.com, r...@tockhq.com

So a quick search on github finds 3 forks of onami-persist.

https://github.com/tocktix/onami-persist
https://github.com/FingolfinTEK/onami-persist
https://github.com/davidsowerby/krail-jpa

Is there interest in joining forces? If so I would suggest I start a new github organization for onami-persist and scratch together the history from my local repo (the apache SVN is not very helpfull, as all onami sub-projects shared a single SVN).
As a next step we can bring in the existing additions/features/bugfixes from the different forks.

Of course I will add all contributors to the organization.

What do you think?

David Sowerby

Sep 12, 2017, 4:38:33 AM9/12/17
to Stephan Classen, google...@googlegroups.com, r...@tockhq.com
Seems like a good plan to me.  Persistence isn't my strong suit, but I am certainly happy to help, and contribute where I can.

Do you think it  is worth contacting people who have Guice integrations with guice-persist, as that seems to be defunct?  I'm thinking of projects like this one

regards

David

Stephan Classen

Sep 12, 2017, 4:43:34 AM9/12/17
to google...@googlegroups.com, David Sowerby, r...@tockhq.com

Maybe in a second phase. I would first concentrate on pulling the different efforts for onami-persist together. But personally I prefer to focus on one responsibility with such libraries. And I see the main responsibility of onami-persist in providing JPA and JTA integration for guice.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-guice.

David Sowerby

Sep 12, 2017, 4:47:23 AM9/12/17
to Stephan Classen, google...@googlegroups.com, r...@tockhq.com
I agree about the single focus - I wasn't suggesting diluting the purpose of the library - I was thinking more that those who have developed libraries based on guice-persist who may be wondering about being dependent on it, and possibly also willing to collaborate

--
regards

David

Stephan Classen

Sep 12, 2017, 4:50:20 AM9/12/17
to David Sowerby, google...@googlegroups.com, r...@tockhq.com

Agree the more collaborators and users we attract the better. Lack of users and collaborators was the reason why apache onami was discontinued and went to attic.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-guice.

David Sowerby

Sep 12, 2017, 4:53:38 AM9/12/17
to Stephan Classen, google...@googlegroups.com, r...@tockhq.com
Ok, once you have set up the new repo, I will trawl GitHub for any guice-persist libraries that seem relevant, and just let the repo owners know about this initiative

--
regards

David