Gin 3.1.0 release preparation

Grzegorz Nowak

Jun 9, 2020, 9:17:33 AM6/9/20
to google-gin
Hi

I've updated Gin dependencies:
  • GWT 2.9.0
  • Guice 4.2.3
  • Checkstyle 8.33 (for security)
The build passes for both JDK 8 & 11 including unit and integration tests.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any real projects where I could see if something obvious breaks.

Are there any volunteers who could verify current HEAD-SNAPSHOT?

Regards
Greg

David Nouls

Jun 9, 2020, 11:00:05 AM6/9/20
to google-gin
Sorry, I have a regression in my project with GWT 2.9 so I can’t migrate right now.

Thomas Broyer

Jun 9, 2020, 12:11:27 PM6/9/20
to google-gin
I don't see any significant code change (https://github.com/gwtplus/google-gin/compare/v3.0.0...2073039; besides reformatting, removing redundant 'public' modifiers, small javadoc tweaks, and a method renamed in tests), so is it even worth cutting a new release?
I mean, people will (should!) have the GWT and Guice dependencies already (and in Maven, it will in most cases override the transitive versions from GIN), so given the absence of code change, they should be able to use 3.0.0 with GWT 2.9.0 and Guice 4.2.3 already (and use HEAD-SNAPSHOT with GWT 2.8.2 and Guice 4.2.2; or any combination).

Grzegorz Nowak

Jun 11, 2020, 5:56:14 AM6/11/20
to google-gin
Yes, you are correct Thomas. I just didn't want the changes to lie indefinitely (it's been almost 2 years...).

When it comes to HEAD-SNAPSHOT it's not available in any public repository (like GWT is) so people wanting to use latest version would have to build it by themselves.

To sum up:
 - let's not do the release yet since Gin code didn't change in any meaningful way.
 - for people who want to use newer GWT or Guice: you can use transitive dependency exclusion. (to make it explicit, override will happen anyways)
 - if anybody has some fixes to offer just open a PR and after integrating them we could do the release.

Regards
Greg