MySql Second Generation instance restarting with no error message

Yiming Jen

Feb 12, 2020, 8:15:10 AM2/12/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

I have a MySql Second Generation db-n1-standard-8 instance that has been restarting by itself with no explanation in the error logs. It doesn't seem to be related to CPU usage or # of network connections. Are there any known issues or situations where this could happen? Does anyone have tips on debugging? I was trying to figure out if it's an OOM issue but since I don't see it in the SQL error logs, I need to look in the Linux system logs, and (correct me if I'm wrong) Google Cloud SQL doesn't give you access to the underlying machine.

The very first line in the logs that is related to the restart is just the beginning of the restart itself: + ROOT=/mysql
And then during the startup process:
[Note] InnoDB: Database was not shutdown normally!
[Note] InnoDB: Starting crash recovery.

This has been happening up to several times a day.

Aref Amiri (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 13, 2020, 10:26:50 AM2/13/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Yiming,

You are correct as to not having access to underlying VM. The error you are experiencing could be related the excessive memory usage and therefore can be resolved by changing to and instance with higher memory. However, to confirm this, I'd suggest to create a Private Issue Tracker and provide your project id along with the instance name, as this should be investigated further.

Yiming Jen

Feb 17, 2020, 1:51:12 PM2/17/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I created an issue using the link you provided, and their response was "Issue Tracker is intended for reproducible bugs and Feature Requests. For this kind of technical support, please contact Google Cloud Platform Support [1]." Is there another way of getting someone to look at this?

David (Cloud Platform Support)

Feb 18, 2020, 10:23:33 AM2/18/20
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hello Yiming,

By the issue you have described, it seems that it was most likely caused by a lack of resources and not due to an issue with the product itself which is the reason you were referred to our support page.

If you would like someone to conduct an in depth analysis of your issue, you may consult our support page. At this time, there are free support options available such as free trial support which may be beneficial if you have signed up for a free trial.