Failover adding 250ms to simple query

Blake Acheson

Jan 22, 2018, 8:38:56 AM1/22/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I have a very simple query that updates a field using a primary key. When running a single instance the query completes in 50ms. When adding failover the same query completes in 300ms. This basically cripples our performance. Is this standard behaviour?

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 22, 2018, 2:55:16 PM1/22/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I believe you could be affected by replication lag as explained and addressed in this document. Semi-synchronous replication might have an impact. Using SSD disks and making sure that your instances have enough SSD and RAM available might help. I found a related issue you might want to have a look at.

Blake Acheson

Jan 22, 2018, 3:09:41 PM1/22/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks Carlos. I tried to create a new failover and it's in an "unavailable" state. This happens almost every time I interact with a failover these days. Contacting support.