Determine Columns & Data Types for Arbitrary Queries

Joe Allan Muharsky

Mar 9, 2016, 1:05:48 PM3/9/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Good morning,

I'm working on a tool that supports arbitrary SQL statements against Cloud SQL data sources.  In particular, I'm looking for a method or library that will provide me with the "schema" for the result set (column names and data types).  This would be similar to executing a query INTO a new table, then inspecting the schema of the target table, but I'd like to avoid a temp table write.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Mar 15, 2016, 3:31:07 PM3/15/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thank you for asking your question here.

If I understand your intent correctly, you would like to inspect the schema of the a result set from one query without writing it to a new table. Is this correct? If not, would you mind provided a slightly more concrete example?