Cloud SQL reliability

Gandalf Corvotempesta

Aug 31, 2018, 11:16:55 AM8/31/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
On a normal Compute instance, I have to use persistent storage to keep my data safe and replicated as the local ssd is ephimeral.
What about Cloud SQL ? Are data stored in database replicated and kept safe automatically?

What happens in case of instance crashes, node failure and so on?
Some of my apps doesn't require a MySQL replica, thus I don't need HA and read replicas (exactly like using a single VPS with MySQL on it).

But is Google able to restore database automatically in case of crashes?

In other words, are Cloud SQL instances stored on a RAID or something similiar ?

Julie (cloud platform support)

Sep 3, 2018, 4:24:03 PM9/3/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Failover replication for Cloud SQL instances allows the instance to "failover" and maintain availability if your primary instance experiences downtime. If you do not want to maintain High Availability or read replicas then the other option is to create backups (either on-demand or automatic) which will allow you to restore an instance to a previous state. Cloud SQL does have primary/failover relationships which can be considered RAID.