Anyway to disable only_full_group_by on 5.7

Matt Bourne

Jun 3, 2016, 9:29:32 AM6/3/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
It seems like there is no super access and although you can add flags there appears no way to remove default flags like only_full_group_by

David Newgas

Jun 3, 2016, 12:34:35 PM6/3/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY isn't actually a database flag, it is one of the possible parameters of the sql_mode database flag. sql_mode is one of the supported flags in Cloud SQL, which means you can change it by editing the instance properties. In order to remove ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY but leave the other default modes you would need to set sql_mode to STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE(etc). Unfortunately it seems that our validation only allows you to set one mode. This is a bug, which I am reporting now.

In the mean time the best workaround is to use SET SESSION sql_mode='...' at the start of each session to remove the mode.

David

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:29 AM, Matt Bourne <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems like there is no super access and although you can add flags there appears no way to remove default flags like only_full_group_by

Thomas Locke

Michael Parsons

Jul 12, 2016, 10:55:37 AM7/12/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
David,

I'm hitting the same issue. Any updates?

Michael

David Newgas

Jul 14, 2016, 4:15:28 AM7/14/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

It's planned, but other properties like bringing second gen to GA probably mean it won't happen for a while (I.e. quarters from now). For now I recommend making sure you find a workaround that works for you, such as session variable.

I do believe that this is valuable and will see if we can find a way to make it happen sooner. If other people are affected by this, feel free to comment on this thread with your use-case so the team can get a sense of how many users need this feature.

David

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 11:26:16 AM UTC-4, Thomas Locke wrote:
[...]

Hajar Homayouni

Aug 3, 2016, 1:19:06 PM8/3/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,
How can I disable Strict mode in Cloud sql?

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 10:34:35 AM UTC-6, David Newgas wrote:
[...]

David Newgas

Aug 3, 2016, 1:26:51 PM8/3/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
By default Cloud SQL leaves the sql mode at the default, which includes strict_trans_tables in 5.7 but does not in 5.5 or 5.6.  So if you are running 5.5 or 5.6 it is already off by default.

If you are running 5.7 you can turn it off globally by setting the sql_mode flag to anything else, or blank. Because of the issue outlined earlier in this thread, this will remove some of the other modes too. The only way to remove just that one flag is to set the sql_mode session variable each time you connect as outlined earlier.

David

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Hajar Homayouni <homayou...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Russell Thompson

Aug 8, 2016, 7:43:14 AM8/8/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I'm having the same issue too. I assume the best work around is to rebuild the database in mysql v 5.6? The others suggested in this group didn't work for me.

Matthew Daines

Aug 24, 2016, 4:15:05 PM8/24/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
This is also affecting me. Need some way to remove only_full_group_by.

Amit Marty

Vincent Manapat

Oct 17, 2016, 3:13:38 PM10/17/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Is there a way to clear the sql mode (i.e, by making it an empty string)? Alternatively, how do you "unset"  a single flag via the gcloud tool?

Arvind Stutzen

Nov 24, 2016, 9:17:57 AM11/24/16
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks it worked. Will it have have any other impact on performance or functionality ?

Chris Maresca

Feb 3, 2017, 12:19:46 PM2/3/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

This is pretty bad, there is no way to set multiple SQL_MODE flags, which can be a huge issue when migrating from 5.5 - not just ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY but also NO_ZERO_IN_DATE and probably others.

This is a serious bug for anyone importing from a previous MySQL version.  So far it's cost us at least 30 developer hours working through all this and possibly more.  And this isn't the first time I've run into this, it was an issue when we migrated to GCP in my previous company.

The problem is compounded by the fact that there is no setting to remove ALL the sql_flags, which seems like it would be an easy fix to have 'NONE' as an option....

Chris.

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:15:28 AM UTC-7, David Newgas wrote:

[...]

Amit Chandel

Jun 1, 2017, 9:15:42 AM6/1/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Thanks! Setting sql_mode to TRADITIONAL helped remove  ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY from the sql_mode.

Tianyang Hu

Jun 3, 2017, 12:02:43 PM6/3/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Is there any update in terms of removing one a several sql_mode flags. Since our team has a use case of removing STRICT_TRANS_TABLES flag. There is no way to just remove one flag.

Darshit Socialinfotech

Apr 18, 2018, 9:06:20 AM4/18/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hi,

Now you can Google Cloud Platform Console and then go to your instance detail page then you will see  above configuration -> Edit Configuration(in last after loading) press that edit and Then you will see option for "Add database flags" (4th option ) press on that so you will see "database flags"-----> select item from dropdown (if you can't see then press + add item) and select < sql_mode > and you will see another dropdown -> Select < STRICT_TRANS_TABLES > ... Then HIT "SAVE " button and it will automatic restart your SQL instance and after that fire your QUERY again you will see your result...

Regards
Darshit.