Runaway query increased our ssd storage to 2TB

Mark Nordine

Jun 25, 2018, 10:29:57 AM6/25/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi all,

A colleague ran a query remotely from his machine, and killed it. However, it continued to run over the weekend, and our Auto Storage enabled instance ballooned from 15GB to 2TB, due to temporary table(s). I killed the query successfully and seen `removing tmp table`.  I incorrectly assumed Auto Storage would shrink back to 15GB. I then read Auto Storage "Capacity cannot be decreased later" and "All increases are permanent". We only have ~1GB of data, how would you suggest we get storage back to 15GB (minimum I think) so we don't have to pay for storage we don't need?

Thanks for your time

Dan C.

Jun 25, 2018, 5:44:39 PM6/25/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I'm far from an expert, but I don't think you can decrease the storage space - once it's been increased, it can't be decreased, even if you're not actively using the additional space in your tables.

I would think that your only alternative would be to back up your existing data, and then fire off a new instance of Cloud SQL and import your data into the new instance.  The new instance would then start from minimal storage and increase only as needed for your existing data.  Once the new instance is confirmed up and running with the correct data, the original instance that ballooned out of control could be deleted.

Dan