When will Database Migration Service support PostgreSQL 14?

Daniel Alm

Jan 10, 2022, 8:13:07 AM1/10/22
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
As of December 15, 2021, Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL supports PostgreSQL major version 14 (see https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/release-notes#December_15_2021).

However, Cloud DMS still only supports PostgreSQL up to major version 13 (see https://cloud.google.com/database-migration/docs/postgres/migration-src-and-dest). And I can indeed only select up to version 13 when creating a migration.

What are the plans to roll out support for PostgreSQL 14 to Cloud DMS?

darrel...@google.com

Jan 10, 2022, 5:12:31 PM1/10/22
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi,

At this moment, we do not have an ETA for postgres 14 availability for DMS. You can check the DMS “Release Notes” page[1] for updates.

I suggest opening a feature request on Google's issuetracker[2] as the product team have visibility on that platform.

[1] https://cloud.google.com/database-migration/docs/release-notes

Pijush Chatterjee

Jan 11, 2022, 10:57:56 AM1/11/22
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
My client New York Times has a similar request, they wanted to upgrade their 350 GB postgres instance from v12 to v14. I suggested DMS, but as v14.0 is not available.. what would be the alternate best strategy for them to upgrade the db with minimal downtime?

Thanks,

Pijush Chatterjee

Customer Engineer

pijus...@google.com

773-456-8851

chorny

Jan 11, 2022, 1:56:24 PM1/11/22
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello,

Talking about specific use cases is a little outside the scope of Groups, and upgrading a database while limiting downtime is complicated with many dimensions. The best strategy is the safest and most direct path to major version upgrading, especially for mission critical instances. Granted DMS abstracts alot of the work away even then, there are still many things to consider. Having said that, I would recommend opening up a ticket with support for the benefit of their introspection, and due diligence.