PostgreSQL 9.6 and Point in Time Recovery

Vadim Solovey

Nov 12, 2017, 1:34:02 PM11/12/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
As far as I can tell, the PostgreSQL 9.6 based CloudSQL doesn't support Point in Time Recovery as of today. Since we are planning some production workload, I'd like to understand if there is short-term plan to introduce PITR with PostgreSQL?

Kamran (Google Cloud Support)

Nov 12, 2017, 6:55:05 PM11/12/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello Vadim,

Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL is still a beta release and as described in this article Point-in-time recovery (PITR) feature is not yet available. However, as this blog post mentions this feature and a couple of other extensions and features should be available when the product goes to the general availability stage. Unfortunately, at the moment I have no ETA in hand for GA launch to provide you with.

Sincerely,

Otto Bretz

Apr 20, 2018, 11:28:56 AM4/20/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Any updates on this? Is there an issuetracker ticket for this so we cant follow progress? I tried to search for it but couldnt find anything.

This is very important for production work, and something that Amazon RDS already supports: https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/

Automated Backups – Turned on by default, the automated backup feature of Amazon RDS enables point-in-time recovery for your DB Instance. Amazon RDS will backup your database and transaction logs and store both for a user-specified retention period. This allows you to restore your DB Instance to any second during your retention period, up to the last five minutes. Your automatic backup retention period can be configured to up to thirty five days.

Otto Bretz

Apr 23, 2018, 10:54:02 AM4/23/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I have now posted an issue, please star it: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/78448400