Native MySQL Connections for Cloud SQL

Joe Faith

Oct 30, 2013, 10:47:53 AM10/30/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, google-cloud...@googlegroups.com

Dear Cloud SQL Users

We are delighted to say that it is now possible to use native MySQL connections (the MySQL wire protocol) to connect to Cloud SQL instances. This means your Cloud SQL instances will be available from just about any application, anywhere -- including, of course, those running on Google Compute Engine and App Engine. The benefits of enabling the MySQL wire protocol include:

We are also making it possible to replicate your Cloud SQL data to other MySQL databases not on Google’s cloud, meaning:

  • Lower latency connections to on-premise applications

  • Off-cloud analytics that won’t interfere with your transactional database

  • Fully redundant standby on another platform in case of multiple simultaneous outages to Google Cloud.

Note that this functionality will also be available in the new version of the API (v1beta3). The existing version (v1beta1) is still available, but deprecated.

Joe Faith | Product Manager | Google Cloud

Joe Faith

Oct 30, 2013, 3:37:05 PM10/30/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com, Peter McKenzie
Moving this discussion to the -discuss group, and cc'ing my colleague from the GAE team who should be able to help