Urgent - All Stored procedures(MYISAM engine) is being automatically roll-backed in our First Generation Google Cloud SQL.

Dhandapani Sattanathan

Mar 2, 2017, 6:57:35 AM3/2/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

Hi,

I am using InnoDb for all my tables. But Mysql.proc table is in MyISAM engine.

All were working very nicely, until recently in my First Generation Cloud SQL instance, I m facing this serious issue in my PRODUCTION instance. Most of the Stored Procedures installed are being automatically roll-backed to the previous state. I tried FLUSH TABLES as per this StackOverflow also, but no use.

I updated all logs here [1].

But the installed Procedures(modified version of an existing version) is roll backed to its previous original state. We did not restart our instance at any given time at least for the past 3-6 months.

Plz let us know how to fix this, is this our issue or Google issue? I can send you privately MySQL instance details if you want to inspect the behaviour. This is a serious reliability issue in production, where the installed procedures get rollbacked, now this happens ONLY to procedures so far and not to tables/views or any other objects.

Thanks,
Dhandapani

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 2, 2017, 9:44:24 AM3/2/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

For First Generation instances, the InnoDB storage engine is recommended, because it provides stronger data consistency guarantees. You may consider converting to InnoDB format, as recommended in the “What storage engine should I use?” paragraph of the FAQs.

You may send us your instance and project IDs through a private email, in view of closer situation inspection.

SN

Mar 3, 2017, 12:18:55 AM3/3/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss, SOMAYA SARATHBABOU
Dear George,

Thanks for your reply posted in  Google Cloud SQL discuss group

My Instance Details:

Type: First Generation

Ip: 173.194.251.3

How to change MySQL.proc table engine MyISAM to InnoDB?

I m getting this issue in proc table only.

If I change MySQL.proc table engine is InnoDB.Will my instance work fine?

Please inspect our Instance and help me to solve this.

Regards,

SATTANATHAN D
PROJECT MANAGER

SSOMENS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
04132333229 /230/231
C:\Users\SSOMENS-003_2\Desktop\business development material\customLogo.gif.png
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 3, 2017, 11:17:04 AM3/3/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss, sarathbab...@ssomens.com

The last reply in your Stackoverflow reference contains a recommendation to switch to InnoDB as well.

Here, I cannot issue CLI commands for your ssomens-allprojects instance, that looks otherwise free of errors.

To convert a table to InnoDB, you are supposed to use a statement containing “engine=InnoDB”. This is detailed in the MySQL documentation, at “15.8.5 Converting Tables from MyISAM to InnoDB”.

SN

Mar 6, 2017, 11:35:33 PM3/6/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss, SOMAYA SARATHBABOU
Dear George,

I want to migrate only mysql.proc(mysql system) table to InnoDB engine, but as per the below MySQL documentation, it seems not a better solution to do that.  it states not to migrate from MyISAM to InnoDB for those system oriented tables.
Your guidance is much appreciated.

Regards,

SATTANATHAN D
PROJECT MANAGER

SSOMENS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
04132333229 /230/231
C:\Users\SSOMENS-003_2\Desktop\business development material\customLogo.gif.png
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 7, 2017, 11:38:37 AM3/7/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss, sarathbab...@ssomens.com
Hello Sattanathan!

You are right about keeping the MyISAM format for the mysql.proc table. There is a recommendation to run the FLUSH TABLES command after making changes to your stored procedures. You can find more details in the answer to the "MySQL SPs and Events being automatically rolled-back by Google Cloud SQL" question on Stackoverflow.

Had a renewed look at the logs for your  ssomens-allprojects instance, and there are no errors. As mentioned previously, I am unable to run meaninfgul CLI commands for the instance, enjoying no root access.

As this thread is getting more technically involving, you may consider to rather open a specific question in Stackoverflow, where you are offered access to programming experts and a wealth of expertise.

SN

Mar 8, 2017, 1:09:18 AM3/8/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss, SOMAYA SARATHBABOU
Dear George,

In this post, I already mentioned https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-cloud-sql-discuss/L7pvTcaARtU the same SO link what you told me to refer to this post now.

We already tried 'n' no of times 'FLUSH TABLES' after each change in MySQL.proc table. But we noticed still that newly modified procedures are rolled- back and running flush tables doesn't add any value to this behavior.

So we asked again your help to fix this issue.

Regards,

SATTANATHAN D
PROJECT MANAGER

SSOMENS SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
04132333229 /230/231
C:\Users\SSOMENS-003_2\Desktop\business development material\customLogo.gif.png
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 9, 2017, 10:47:42 AM3/9/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss

The following list of information items may help us progress towards a resolution:

- Store procedure name.

- How was stored procedure created.

- Which command was used to list your stored procedures when they rolled back.

- How did you modify the stored procedures.

- Date and time when the rollbacks first happened.

- Do your stored procedures run without issues on other instances in the same project?

- What happens if you create a simple test procedure? Does it roll back as the others?

- What is the result of running the SHOW PROCEDURE STATUS; command?

SN

Mar 13, 2017, 5:57:52 AM3/13/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss, SOMAYA SARATHBABOU

The following list of information items may help us progress towards a resolution:

- Store procedure name : SP_ACTIVE_CUSTOMERLIST

- How was stored procedure created.  : MyISAM engine

- Which command was used to list your stored procedures when they rolled back.

SHOW PROCEDURE STATUS WHERE DB = 'EI_INT';

- How did you modify the stored procedures.

ACTIVE CC LIST stored procedure has temp table, I added new column.

- Date and time when the rollbacks first happened. : 2017-03-01 05:04:41

- Do your stored procedures run without issues on other instances in the same project?

No, I got issue in other instance in the same project

- What happens if you create a simple test procedure? Does it roll back as the others?

I created simple test procedure, But that one not roll back like the others

Simple Test Procedure:

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS SP_CANDIDATE_DETAILS_INSERT; CREATE PROCEDURE SP_CANDIDATE_DETAILS_INSERT( IN CANDIDATENAME VARCHAR(50), IN EMAILID VARCHAR(50), IN DATEOFBIRTH DATE, IN CONTACTNO VARCHAR(10), IN REMARK TEXT, OUT SUCCESS_FLAG INTEGER) BEGIN DECLARE EXIT HANDLER FOR SQLEXCEPTION BEGIN ROLLBACK; SET SUCCESS_FLAG=0; END; START TRANSACTION; SET AUTOCOMMIT = 0; SET SUCCESS_FLAG = 0; IF(REMARK='') THEN SET REMARK=NULL; END IF; IF(CANDIDATENAME IS NOT NULL AND EMAILID IS NOT NULL AND DATEOFBIRTH IS NOT NULL AND CONTACTNO IS NOT NULL) THEN INSERT INTO CANDIDATE_DETAILS (CANDIDATE_NAME, EMAIL_ID, DATE_OF_BIRTH, CONTACT_NO, REMARKS) VALUES (CANDIDATENAME, EMAILID, DATEOFBIRTH, CONTACTNO, REMARK); SET SUCCESS_FLAG=1; END IF; COMMIT; END;

- What is the result of running the SHOW PROCEDURE STATUS; command?

DbNameTypeDefinerModifiedCreatedSecurity_typeCommentcharacter_set_clientcollation_connectionDatabase Collation
EI_INTSP_ACTIVE_CUSTOMERLISTPROCEDUREEIPHPDEV@%28-02-2017 06:01:5828-02-2017 06:01:58DEFINERutf8utf8_general_ciutf8_general_ci

Regards,

SATTANATHAN D
​​

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 13, 2017, 11:17:52 AM3/13/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
It seems new procedures work. Have you attempted to drop your SP_ACTIVE_CUSTOMERLIST procedure and re-create it anew afterwards?

As mentioned before, this being a MySQL specific issue, you may consider to rather open a specific question in Stackoverflow, where you are offered access to programming experts and a wealth of expertise.

SN

Mar 13, 2017, 12:23:02 PM3/13/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss
Yes, I drop and re created SP_ACTIVE_CUSOMERLIST.

I am telling to this after 3 - 4 months. continuously happened this roll - back

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:47 PM, 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss <google-cloud...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
It seems new procedures work. Have you attempted to drop your SP_ACTIVE_CUSTOMERLIST procedure and re-create it anew afterwards?

As mentioned before, this being a MySQL specific issue, you may consider to rather open a specific question in Stackoverflow, where you are offered access to programming experts and a wealth of expertise.

George (Cloud Platform Support)

Mar 13, 2017, 4:49:28 PM3/13/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
At this stage, a text copy of the failing procedure may provide needed information. You may send this confidentially by private email.

SN

Mar 13, 2017, 11:18:44 PM3/13/17
to 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss
George,

Plz send your personal email id. I 'll give the text copy of the failing procedure

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:19 AM, 'George (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google Cloud SQL discuss <google-cloud...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
At this stage, a text copy of the failing procedure may provide needed information. You may send this confidentially by private email.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Mar 31, 2017, 5:13:38 PM3/31/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Apologies for the delay.  We've recently been experiencing heavy volume for community support and greatly appreciate your patience.

Are you still experiencing this issue?  If so and you believe this to be an issue with the platform, please file a new issue on the Issue Tracker using the Public Trackers > Cloud Platform > Storage and Databases > Cloud SQL component.  When doing so, please provide a link to this thread in the issue report so as to avoid troubleshooting the same issue a second time.  I'd also recommend posting a link to the public issue here so that others in the community can follow along.