Increase Postgres max_connections?

Matthew Haber

Jan 19, 2018, 9:50:02 AM1/19/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
So currently I am running a Postgres SQL instance with 10 cores and 64 GB of RAM. For the longest time this let me have an upper limit of 100 max_connections. With the recent changes  it seems it should be able to achieve 400 (https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/postgres/faq). The problem is when I do a "show max_connections;" its still showing it at 100.

 My question is what must I do to get the recent max_connection changes to be applied to my Postgres SQL instance?

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 19, 2018, 2:58:33 PM1/19/18
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hi Matthew,

I just span a new Cloud SQL VM and it does show the increased number of max connections.

postgres=> show max_connections;
max_connections
400
(1 row)

It seems that existing instances might not get automatically the new limit. Our teams are currently working on either automatically allow this configuration based on memory or expose a flag to the user. I do not see an E.T.A but I suggest checking this report.  This discussion about migrating databases might also be of your interest.