SSL and MySQL

jinguruxxx

Jul 25, 2017, 9:05:14 PM7/25/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
I'm hoping this doesn't sound stupid but i just want to make sure i cover all bases

I have a VM instance created in Compute engine and have deployed a LAMP stack

Further more i have phpMyadmin installed to allow me to manage my database. I have assigned the necessary credentials also to manage a Google SQL database (i have option for first generation or second generation set up)

Currently no SSL has been implemented ie http

Are there any factors i should consider related to the Google SQL database before implementing SSL?

Thanks

Faizan (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 26, 2017, 4:54:34 PM7/26/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss
Hello Jinguruxxx,

You can setup SSL to connect to CloudSQL database from your GCE VM, in case you are not using Cloud SQL proxy. The SSL certificate is automatically created when you create your instance. You don't have to manage the certificate as long as the server certificate is valid. However, the certificate has expiry date and after that date its no longer valid.

You can refer to this link which has detailed information and steps for configuring instance to use SSL, manage your server and client certificates.

Faizan

jinguruxxx

Jul 31, 2017, 9:19:33 PM7/31/17
to Google Cloud SQL discuss